Official Style Feedback Thread

Will_Watts

Habitué
My opinion only - I imagine I'm in the minority:

I can only restate what was said in a thread a while back about the merge - the look/feel of XF and this theme just doesn't feel "professional". The colours stand out much more with this theme than the vBulletin theme - perhaps due to higher contrast between elements, or maybe the blue is slightly different - the overall effect for me is that it looks like a children's toy.

The blue headings for each forum section are just too unsubtle/"in your face" for me.

Greg

TAZ Rookie
There's no favicon.

Please, please, please kill the hover.

The font seems kind of cartoony on the buttons.

The XF navcrumb is pretty icky by default in my opinion- might want to look at changing that.

Not trying to be negative, just giving feedback on areas that can be improved.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Not for now, but enabling node descriptions instead of the hovers. And also more for the staff, but we're missing our tools.
Yep. A lot of tools seem to be missing and permissions errors.

I would like to see the nav bar (with 'New Posts') permanently nailed to the top of my screen. Having to scroll to the top of the page to get to the next unread thread is so last year :p

I'd also like to see a little more information given in the post bit (location, age etc.) assuming the user is willing.
Agree - The always-on-top navbar that AdEx had is really nice. I'm missing it.
I posted earlier about the postbit - I think it's maybe too simplistic. More info at a glance would be good - kinda like so:

That's probably more info than Zappa is talking about - but I think it should be a necessity for the postbit to have more than it currently does.

Darker colored text for the post manipulators or image based buttons (minimal and clean suggestions). Would you guys prefer they be constantly visible with a darker gray?
The links should always be visible imo. I posted earlier:

Aesthetically - I think the text links look rather bland - I'm totally missing the vB style buttons. Like these buttons:

... The Edit | Delete | IP | Report | Like | Reply | Multi-quote buttons should be in a similar style.
My opinion anyway...
Also on my mind:

1. A fixed width variation.
2. The orange color variation.
3. Forum descriptions on forumhome.
4. [optional] Double column list layout for the forumhome index so that it's not such a LONG scroll down.
5. Perhaps some soothing gradients added to the threadview so that it is not one huge block of white.

Just a few notes LOL

J.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
My opinion only - I imagine I'm in the minority:

I can only restate what was said in a thread a while back about the merge - the look/feel of XF and this theme just doesn't feel "professional". The colours stand out much more with this theme than the vBulletin theme - perhaps due to higher contrast between elements, or maybe the blue is slightly different - the overall effect for me is that it looks like a children's toy.

The blue headings for each forum section are just too unsubtle/"in your face" for me.
Off-white (yellow tinted) content gradient, check.

Visible two tone gradient for the headers?

There's no favicon.

Please, please, please kill the hover.

The font seems kind of cartoony on the buttons.

The XF navcrumb is pretty icky by default in my opinion- might want to look at changing that.

Not trying to be negative, just giving feedback on areas that can be improved.
Which one?

The pixel font? What buttons specifically?

Suggestions for the navcrumb?

Greg

TAZ Rookie
Which one?

The pixel font? What buttons specifically?

Suggestions for the navcrumb?
Anywhere where it gives an animated hover effect while I'd expect the content to be just there- the most egregious example being on the main index for forum description.

The post reply buttons, the tabs at the top.

Personally I'm a fan of minimalist breadcrumbs, but basically my problem with the XF one is it looks super cartoony with the > signs nested. Maybe it's just me.

Russ

Administrator
Anywhere where it gives an animated hover effect while I'd expect the content to be just there- the most egregious example being on the main index for forum description.

The post reply buttons, the tabs at the top.

Personally I'm a fan of minimalist breadcrumbs, but basically my problem with the XF one is it looks super cartoony with the > signs nested. Maybe it's just me.
Part of the problem, is if you enable descriptions on the nodes it makes the page even longer than it already is. I myself like the descriptions showing but not sure with the amount of nodes TAZ has.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
Not just you. The descriptions are a concern and they will be put back. Breadcrumbs using bullet points would fare better. Are you talking about the blue buttons?

Part of the problem, is if you enable descriptions on the nodes it makes the page even longer than it already is. I myself like the descriptions showing but not sure with the amount of nodes TAZ has.
Speaking of hovers, they don't show up in FF.

Greg

TAZ Rookie
Yup, blue buttons. Seems like a different font- am I crazy?

Greg

TAZ Rookie
Than the one used on the page, listing Page 2 of 2, Prev, etc.

Bitnull

Fan
In the next few days, the forum list will be cleaned up a great deal, at the moment, we're working on the backend/permission issues first.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Probably a little to late to consider - but perhaps a double column styled nodelist would work better? Such styling would definitely decrease the page length anyway.

The page looks more complete with the descriptions added back in though. As an FYI - The Classifieds description will need to be revised once there's a paid subscription system put into place --- The More Information link still goes to the vBulletin payments.php

This section is for Premium (Supporting) members to buy or sell personal items or services. It is not intended for selling items or services in a business capacity. More Information