No access to previous versions of IPB

Matt M

Director Development at Invision Community
You are welcome to keep a copy locally.

Old versions generally contain bugs and security vulnerabilities which make it quite irresponsible to still distribute.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Other platforms sometimes distribute the security patches anyway and reserve the paid support for bug fixes in general.

Of all the “hmm” moments I may have had with IPS, this wasn’t one of them.

It’s tough, which is why I personally would keep up to date if I were running such a platform in the wild; I currently am not, and what I am running, I’m the vendor for anyway hah.

Russ

Administrator
You are welcome to keep a copy locally.

Old versions generally contain bugs and security vulnerabilities which make it quite irresponsible to still distribute.

If your license is current, do you gain access to those older versions?

Pete

There aren't many reasons you'd need access to an older version though - except possibly if you're doing some weird migration and want to spin up some kind of test site for an old version but even that can be worked around without needing to get the current files.

Beyond that I guess there is some vague curiosity about older versions; when I picked up my vB 5 license years ago I was happy it came with vB 3 and vb 4 - I'd never had a vB install and was pleased to get all the versions to experiment with.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
Personally I think it’s a great idea to allow older customers to be able download the software versions that were around when they first became a customer. Just put a stipulation that they download and install at their own risk. Not everyone likes new versions. Thats one thing that hurt vbulletin. Personally doesn’t bother me considering I started ipb with its newest version but I could see why older customers would want to access to an older version.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Personally I think it’s a great idea to allow older customers to be able download the software versions that were around when they first became a customer. Just put a stipulation that they download and install at their own risk. Not everyone likes new versions. Thats one thing that hurt vbulletin. Personally doesn’t bother me considering I started ipb with its newest version but I could see why older customers would want to access to an older version.

I think there's definitely two sides to this discussion. It's not necessarily just at your own risk, it could put other installations at risk on a shared server and then there's the risk to your member's personal details. In addition it's arguably damaging to a companies' reputation.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I think there's definitely two sides to this discussion. It's not necessarily just at your own risk, it could put other installations at risk on a shared server and then there's the risk to your member's personal details. In addition it's arguably damaging to a companies' reputation.
You bring up a valid point but still it would be nice to have that option. I suppose change is inevitable considering almost everything else changes from php, Maria, this that blah hah and what not.

haqzore

Devotee
I think there's definitely two sides to this discussion. It's not necessarily just at your own risk,
Also, no amount of disclaimers in the world will stop people from support tickets, forum complaints, and all other maner of time wasting crap while using outdated versions likely no longer supported by any respectable host.

It's truly a lose/lose for the company, and often no more than a delayed lose for the customer.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
Also, no amount of disclaimers in the world will stop people from support tickets, forum complaints, and all other maner of time wasting crap while using outdated versions likely no longer supported by any respectable host.

It's truly a lose/lose for the company, and often no more than a delayed lose for the customer.

Odd, it isn't a frequent occurrence on Xenforo.com.

The only "lose" IPS is concerned about is how many ways they can try to force renewals. Making older versions of software available in the industry is the overwhelming norm, not the exception.

Bionic Rooster

Adherent
In addition it's arguably damaging to a companies' reputation.

You bring up a valid point but still it would be nice to have that option.
NYCGuy76 Why would any company put themselves in a position that could damage their reputation just because someone wants to install potentially unsafe unupdated software? Who would be liable if the other clients and host have issues as a result? Your argument to support this practice makes no sense to me... Would you allow a security company to install an unreliable system and software to your home or business?

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
NYCGuy76 Why would any company put themselves in a position that could damage their reputation just because someone wants to install potentially unsafe unupdated software? Who would be liable if the other clients and host have issues as a result? Your argument to support this practice makes no sense to me... Would you allow a security company to install an unreliable system and software to your home or business?
You did see where I wrote that users would download and install at their own risk right? IPB shouldn’t be held accountable if someone wants to install an older version. Anyways makes no difference to me. I use their newest software and I’d personally never use an older version but others would.

Last edited:

Bionic Rooster

Adherent
You did see where I wrote that users would download and install at their own risk right?
Yeah I did, but it's nullified by what has already been said that those who install it are putting others at risk, not just themselves.
IPB shouldn’t be held accountable if someone wants to install an older version.
But they could be and would be if someone was allowed to install it, had negative effect on the server or others, just for the installer to avoid accountability.
I use their newest software and I’d personally never use an older version but others would.
So you have standards and understand the risk to you so why support or promote the opposite of what you believe and practice?
I don't understand a point of view that 'I will use common sense but support others lack of same.'
Anyway yeah, it's interesting how some points of view have been expressed on this issue.
Especially the point of view that the company is just gaming buyers to renew rather than protecting their customers and themselves with upgraded software. I think if all the company was interested in making money buy charging for renewals, they would continue selling outdated software and stop the overhead of making it better.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
Yeah I did, but it's nullified by what has already been said that those who install it are putting others at risk, not just themselves.

But they could be and would be if someone was allowed to install it, had negative effect on the server or others, just for the installer to avoid accountability.

So you have standards and understand the risk to you so why support or promote the opposite of what you believe and practice?
I don't understand a point of view that 'I will use common sense but support others lack of same.'
Anyway yeah, it's interesting how some points of view have been expressed on this issue.
Especially the point of view that the company is just gaming buyers to renew rather than protecting their customers and themselves with upgraded software. I think if all the company was interested in making money buy charging for renewals, they would continue selling outdated software and stop the overhead of making it better.
Well look just because someone wants to download and use older version doesn’t mean that I want to. I just feel customers should have the right to do so. That’s all I’m saying. Whether I think they should no but nevertheless they should still have the option. If they want to play with fire let them. On the other hand IPB shouldn’t be held accountable either. People know the risks about using outdated software like I said if they want to play with fire they should have the option to do so.

Pete

The overwhelming reality does not agree with you. People use out of date software all the time but still hold the vendor accountable. Even for already fixed bugs in newer versions, more than not.

haqzore

Devotee
The overwhelming reality does not agree with you. People use out of date software all the time but still hold the vendor accountable. Even for already fixed bugs in newer versions, more than not.
This exactly. Substantial amounts of resources are spent - in every industry - saving customers from themselves.

Its just a lose/lose for the company / vendor.

Last edited:

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Almost noone realistically would install an older version as a way to skimp on paying for renewals (disproportionate attention is given to this). Many of those asking for access to old versions likely already do to the newest, are active, well aware of the security implications of running outdated software and neednt be schooled about how theyre threats to themselves and vendors.

A notable reason one needs previous versions to to prepare upgrades of live forum installs. It's fine to hope future upgrading workflows will adapt to current vendor demands, but inadequate to expect current and legacy upgrade workflows to forego the safety of access to the package versions their current live installs use. The same argument applies for addons official or 3rd-party, and particularly for addon makers and freelancers whose paid services include migration assistance (in this example, none of the websites they work on would be using old or outdated versions).

The above could be mitigated to an extent with a safe wordpress-style update process but this wouldnt take into account custom addons and modifications. An LTS branch could also accomodate conservative holdouts like entreprise better, giving them old snapshots still receiving security updates while the majority sticks to the regular bleeding edge releases. Its a shame forumware in general has not adopted LTS paradigms, given how important it is for even 'outdated' installs to remain secure (as long as backports are not too troublesome and the clients have active renewals anyway).

Gordon_Ramsay

Enthusiast
It's been a while since I've used IPB, and so I wanted to mess around first with the version I had access to, and then I find out I can't even access that version because they want me to pay to gain access to files I already had access to before. Really it's poor on the company because it's a money grab.