New version of Proboards

motokochan

Habitué
If this is what they consider an update and if this really is a recent update, then it's sad.
Given the current features, it does look like a few more nice things. Do keep in mind they have a captive audience, so they don't need to invest that much. They just need to add enough small things to keep getting new members.

What are the changes in comparison with last one?
Watch the demonstration in the link Jura posted. It shows what's new.

jyaron

Ask Me About Biology
While it may not be stunning, it looks like they did a good job of adding some AJAX features that may prove useful to some.

Blind Bandit

Fanatic
I just want to point out that you need to look back through the blog to see more features.

And if I stay with ProBoards it will be a nice upgrade.

Blind Bandit

Fanatic
their version 5 is coming cool and it looks pretty modern
Agreed, expect with the ablity to get Mybb, hosting and a domain for all under 20 bucks for the first month. There no reason anyone can't start a forum without using proboards. I was never so glad to be done with proboards.

esquire

Habitué
Agreed, expect with the ablity to get Mybb, hosting and a domain for all under 20 bucks for the first month. There no reason anyone can't start a forum without using proboards. I was never so glad to be done with proboards.
I'm just curious as a result of another post. If someone creates a new site there, do they own their own forum? Is there a claim that the company owns the forum?

Blind Bandit

Fanatic
I'm just curious as a result of another post. If someone creates a new site there, do they own their own forum? Is there a claim that the company owns the forum?
There was a clause in their tos that stated that you didn't own the forum or its content. And the request for a database was not possible. I can't find it in their current TOS.

As fair as I know Proboards owns the rights to your forum and locks the content to the forum by not allowing even a paid database option.

there are other hosts will give you a database back up for free for a fee.

This was a problem for me when I wanted to transfer my forum off of proboards.

Blind Bandit

Fanatic
Here is the Q&A from their support site.

Q: Can I have a copy of my ProBoards database so I can convert it to some other service? I want to keep all my posts/members/etc.

A: This is not possible. ProBoards is setup to use a proprietary database format and transferring it is not possible. While we do make backups of your boards, we can not provide the end user with this information as it is intended for use by ProBoards staff to restore forums to a previous state, and not to transfer to another service.

Q: Can I run the ProBoards software on my own server/hosting company?

A: No, ProBoards is written to be used on specific servers with specific software installed in specific places. It would not be possible for you to run our software on your server. Also, ProBoards is designed to run as a remotely hosted forum system. It is not designed to run a single board at a time. The forum and sub-domain creation processes are all integrated into the ProBoards software, and can not be separated. All of the ProBoards software is proprietary.

Q: Do you plan on releasing the ProBoards source code?

A: Not at this time. ProBoards is intended to be run as a remotely hosted message board system.

esquire

Habitué
Blind Bandit - I can't find anything that states clearly "we own all the content in your forum." Perhaps you can point to me exactly where it says clearly that anyone who creates a forum specifically agrees that all the content created in that forum and as a result of that forum "owner's" efforts are owned by PB.

What's interesting about the FAQ post above is that none of this talks about the rights to your content. It only states that they never intended for you to move your content to another system. So they don't say anywhere I could find that "you can't move your content because we own it" only that "we only intended the content of your forum to be in our format so we aren't going to export it for you for use elsewhere." So what if someone creates a scraper that doesn't require any of their efforts to recreate your forum? I don't see anything that says that this is not permissible.

RosenCruz

Aspirant
These guys are doing a nice job. With version 5, they will close the gap with modern other forum softwares. But as stated above, there is a huge con. You can not move out, get your database. If you are gonna start on proboards, you should settle that community for years and grow with PB.

HallofFamer

Habitué
Well so you just realized that Proboards sucks and will continue to be the way it is by now? Took you long enough, lol. But seriously, with this many much more superior competitors avaiable I am surprised that Proboards has a spot in the market. Perhaps good advertising and partnership are keys to their success, they seem to be good at these.