sudo nano /private/etc/hosts
then add
Code:
204.14.94.51 mymilitia.com
204.14.94.51 www.mymilitia.com
Then press CTL+O then hit ENTER then CTL+X

mysiteguy

Fanatic
again - it depends on what your using it for. If your running a basic HTML site, or for backup storage, then maybe what your talking about is fine. Forums have a lot of database hits so the speed of the drive is much more important. Do a search for SSD vs 10k sas drive and read -- you'll see the speed differences. 8gb of ram is laughable, I have 16gb on my desktop -

As an example - My servers have 128gb of ram each, and 4 1-terabyte SSDs setup in raid.
8GB may very well be sufficient depending on the size of the database. If the database fits entirely within RAM with room to spare for file caching and other processes, why pay for more? Same with SSD versus a hard drive, there will be no speed improvement except at startup if the entire database fits in RAM, and it's not a write-intensive application (and forums tend not to be).

I have various servers deployed from 8gb to 128gb ram and each is more than sufficient for what is running on each.

Curious, what do you use the 128gb / 4TB servers for?

fixer

I'm In My Prime
8GB may very well be sufficient depending on the size of the database. If the database fits entirely within RAM with room to spare for file caching and other processes, why pay for more? Same with SSD versus a hard drive, there will be no speed improvement except at startup if the entire database fits in RAM, and it's not a write-intensive application (and forums tend not to be).

I have various servers deployed from 8gb to 128gb ram and each is more than sufficient for what is running on each.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator

again - it depends on what your using it for.
I have many forums, most of which that are busy, long established and are image heavy. I have individual sites that use 250gb of storage. Admittedly, I prefer to have a lot of overhead, and my servers were all upgraded this past summer.

Chokkol

Aspirant
Guys, how do you monitor the work and accessibility of your sites? I found a tool with which I can monitor the operation of my three sites host-tracker.com Here 30 days of free testing, instant notifications are connected to mail or skype. What say about this resource? How do you monitor the performance of your sites?