New forum about politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oh!

Enthusiast
You can't possibly be serious in regards to conservatives wanting to behead liberals. Where do you come up with this stuff? I have a conservative views and never in my life did I wish to behead to any liberal lol. Second Antifa are todays definition of a fascist ironically. The same people that preach freedom are the ones that practice violence and oppose free speech. Where have you been for the past 5 years?
I have no desire to get into this with you, but if I might take the liberty of answering for Pete, I believe he refers to this (I am surprised you have not heard about it):

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I have no desire to get into this with you, but if I might take the liberty of answering for Pete, I believe he refers to this (I am surprised you have not heard about it):

No I actually haven't but just one individual and a single case that is rare. Should I start posting footage of antifa and Blm violently attacking Trump supporters or start posting links to articles where they wish death and violence against us which I welcome them to try on me any time... There is trash on both sides of the spectrum but the left does happen to have a lot more of it. Anyways I'll leave it that. You brought up good points yourself but there's always two sides not just one.

Steve M

Coder Formerly Known As..
No I actually haven't but just one individual and a single case that is rare. Should I start posting footage of antifa and Blm violently attacking Trump supporters or start posting links to articles where they wish death and violence against us which I welcome them to try on me any time... There is trash on both sides of the spectrum but the left does happen to have a lot more of it. Anyways I'll leave it that. You brought up good points yourself but there's always two sides not just one.
This is exactly why I'm a liberal. I don't believe in Democrats and Republicans because in the end politicians all lie.

Claverhouse

Aspirant
I don't vote for anyone, not just because they all lie --- and all revolutionaries right or left are self-serving --- but because I believe the Will of the People is a lie, and because I have no wish to obey rulers because more fools voted that way than fools voted the other way.

That aside, this thread turned up just now in my email: where I was also reading Matt Taibbi.

Apart from the appalling censorship of the appalling Trump [ I am not a fan ] whereby the mass media now has stopped reporting results and now manipulates and directs them; these two columns are apposite.

A bunch of Trots whose statements against the 1619 Project are rather laughable, like all trot stuff, but they have the right to express them, is censored and left out by Google's Project Owl. For good. Leading to less trot stuff online.

Various of the big firms, not only taking down Donald Trump, suspend and demonetize reporters

Only a year ago, the idea of suspending Donald Trump from Twitter was a Democratic Party fantasy, with putative new Vice President Kamala Harris leading the charge.

During election week it became the norm, amid a sharp escalation of politicized deletions, suspensions, and lockouts by the tech platforms like Twitter and Facebook. Twitter essentially stuffed a pair of work gloves in Trump’s mouth in the days after Election Day, deleting over half of his tweets. Non-Trump social media mostly exulted

The reporter in question was sometime a contributor to Reason --- and my views on libertarians are still less charitable than my views on trots --- nonetheless, I do not want freedom of speech to be limited by my opinions.

What is happening is that Media, concentrated into fewer and fewer giant entities, now regards itself as the Fourth Estate, entitled to all the power formerly belonging to government. It is forming a future dominance like the Soviet Politburo powered by Microsoft.

AllanD

Habitué
I have always stirred clear of talking about politics in general, because of the problems it can cause. I have seen a normal discussion go wrong by two adults that were just talking.

DigNap15

Adherent
I have a new forum I started one year ago in a small country (5 million)
Its a general forum, but 75% of our posts are on our politics and US politics.
Its very fast moving.
Need a good web plan

DigNap15

Adherent
I have always stirred clear of talking about politics in general, because of the problems it can cause. I have seen a normal discussion go wrong by two adults that were just talking.
People like to talk about politics.
But in person eg at a bar or restaurant you never know their poltical poitn of view
But on a forum its anoonymous so memebrs can say what they like without getting puinche din the face

That said I think some blogs and Facebook groups and maybe Reddit are my biggest opposition

Chemical

Aspirant
Hello there,

I was thinking about starting a new forum about politics in my native language.

I would like to hear your suggestions.

I think most forum discussions that folks label as politics are about anything but politics. Most of what we see are tribal arguments - reinforcement of opinion, belief and (sometimes dead) dogma, which you can see on almost all forums - from cameras to football. Rarely do you see discussions about ideologies, their origins, or examples of them in practice. And generally, when folks claim to know about, for example the finer points which differentiate the so called left, from the right, they typically demonstrate their lack of knowledge, not the insight they claim to have.

So from my perspective Oedipus, if you can steer your contributors away from the needs of present day activists and agitators, and instead focus on the academic debate, then I believe you stand a good chance of being successful.

Oedipus

Participant
I think most forum discussions that folks label as politics are about anything but politics. Most of what we see are tribal arguments - reinforcement of opinion, belief and (sometimes dead) dogma, which you can see on almost all forums - from cameras to football. Rarely do you see discussions about ideologies, their origins, or examples of them in practice. And generally, when folks claim to know about, for example the finer points which differentiate the so called left, from the right, they typically demonstrate their lack of knowledge, not the insight they claim to have.

So from my perspective Oedipus, if you can steer your contributors away from the needs of present day activists and agitators, and instead focus on the academic debate, then I believe you stand a good chance of being successful.

Thank you. I appreciate your opinion.

I hope I will be able to regulate that with thorough rules.

Dryline

Aspirant
Political discussions are banned on my forum. Every single thread goes to crap if it involves politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.