Need to move to "easier" forum software - or find freelancer?

SummerBird

Aspirant
I have read several threads in here, and it's obvious that having a forum requires much more tech knowledge than I have.

I have a phpBB forum that I have had for 4 years now. It has a fair amount of users and traffic, and all is well. BUT, it is a real nightmare for me to work on the forum. I don't update the forum as I am too afraid to mess with the system, and I don't install mods. And it bothers me so much, because I have so many ideas for the forum. All I can do is change layout, place adds et.c, but everything else is too complicated for me.

So, I am willing to pay for a forum where I don't need to worry about all these things. I have been looking at Vbulletin Cloud, but after having read a discussion in here about this service and having read reviews on Trustpilot, I am not sure that is such a good idea. So where else can I find a forum, where I can personalize a lot of things, but don't have to worry about updates, security e.tc?

The forum is connected to a WP site, and I have full knowledge of how to work with WP. So, BBpress is an obvious choice, but it doesn't get that many good reviews?

So either I should change to an "easier" forum that can be administrated by people without programming skills or I should find a trustworthy phpBB programmer than can fix my forum now and then, when I need updates, mods installed and various things done - if anyone can recommend one, I am happy to hear from you!

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
All forum software is updated regularly - if you are registered on their support sites, most are really good with non-techy admins as well (and there are more than you think!) Most of the people you see talking about how they've changed this and that have been doing it for a long time, it just takes time and patience :)

For ease of upgrading, I'll recommend XenForo - their support is excellent, it's easy to customise (with a learning curve, of course) and the community is second to none for helping people tweak and get the most out of it.

Digital Phoenix

Coffee Ninja
For ease of upgrading, I'll recommend XenForo - their support is excellent, it's easy to customise (with a learning curve, of course) and the community is second to none for helping people tweak and get the most out of it.

I've seen the community/support put down fairly often, but I've never had an issue it.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
I've seen the community/support put down fairly often, but I've never had an issue it.
I've had nothing but positive experiences with the support - both by staff and other members - on XF.

Digital Phoenix

Coffee Ninja
I've had nothing but positive experiences with the support - both by staff and other members - on XF.

Sane here, though I've not really had to use the ticket system. But I've always gotten an answer pretty quickly on the forums. I've never seen a friendlier community. Except for Taz of course :D

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Sane here, though I've not really had to use the ticket system. But I've always gotten an answer pretty quickly on the forums. I've never seen a friendlier community. Except for Taz of course :D
I think it comes down to a "get what you give" scenario. If you're polite and show respect, you get the same in return.

Digital Phoenix

Coffee Ninja
Yup, people tend to respond in kind, if you're rude, don't be surprised when people are rude back to you.

SummerBird

Aspirant
PhpBB doesn't upgrade automatically. You still need to update it yourself. And this is where my skills fail me. Are there any good forums for people without any programming skills like VBulletin Cloud or is that the only one? Right now it seems that I have no other choice than to move my forum to their service, despite the bad reviews.

It's not just the upgrade, it's the mods as well. My users keep asking for new features, which I cannot install.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
All forums need to be manually updated, if you are not using a cloud based service. Not just phpBB. IPB offer a cloud based service. however.

SummerBird

Aspirant
Thanks, I will check IPB out :) I just want something as easy as WP. That's all I am looking for.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
With self-hosting you won't find anything that upgrades as easily as WP. But, if you move to the cloud, you won't be able to put your WP part on the site with it.

Digital Phoenix

Coffee Ninja
Upgrading really isn't that difficult though, I'm sure you could find someone willing to reach you

SummerBird

Aspirant
Merlin, I have just checked Elance.com and Fiveer now for programmers. Maybe I can find a freelancer there to keep my forum running, so I am happy. I just hate that I don't know how to fix the issues myself, and it is so frustrating. I have installed Mods previously on the forum, but I am so afraid that something messes up a code, because I don't know how to fix it then.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Merlin, I have just checked Elance.com and Fiveer now for programmers. Maybe I can find a freelancer there to keep my forum running, so I am happy. I just hate that I don't know how to fix the issues myself, and it is so frustrating. I have installed Mods previously on the forum, but I am so afraid that something messes up a code, because I don't know how to fix it then.
You don't need a programmer to help you upgrade a forum. You don't need to be a programmer to run a forum. You just need some proper instruction on how to do it yourself :)

Digital Phoenix

Coffee Ninja
I'll tell you what, if you choose to buy an XF or IPB licence. I will help you with upgrades.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
I'll tell you what, if you choose to buy an XF or IPB licence. I will help you with upgrades.
I'll second that, if you move to XF (not so much IPB because I haven't used it in ages). In fact, I'll talk you through how to do it yourself so you're not dependent on others.

Digital Phoenix

Coffee Ninja
There's really no need to pay money unless you absolutely have to, if you have any issues or questions, there's always someone here on Taz willing to help.