Namecheap

GTB

Tazmanian
Just been looking at NameCheap shared hosting again that I used up until last month and see they are offering some good deals. The "Budget" Hosting package I used which served me just fine, and I paid about £30 for it last two years in a row. They are offering a deal for just £6 for first year, same on other shared hosting packages.

Funny enough I cancelled my hosting with them with 2 weeks left, it would have cost me £30 to renew it and now can get a new hosting package (same one as before) for £6 lasting a year again. They are offering deals on PositiveSLL during sigh-up as well for £1.99 instead of £5 for first year.

So if anyone is thinking of starting a new forum for a year on shared hosting, see how it goes. Ideal chance to host a new forum dirt cheap for a year.

https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/shared.aspx

Last edited:

Phillip

The Priest
So if anyone is thinking of starting a new forum for a year on shared hosting, see how it goes. Ideal chance to host a new forum dirt cheap for a year.
It's where I get most of my domains at. I have about 5 or 6 on there and one on Godaddy. Lol. But I prefer NameCheap over anything else. So yes I agree with this post.

GTB

Tazmanian
Well I wasn't going to run my forum again but after seeing this deal and can get a .com domain with it for £14, which I wanted to change before but couldn't from a .co.uk one. I've taken the offer up and I'm in the process of putting forum back up using a different domain now.

Phillip

The Priest
Well I wasn't going to run my forum again but after seeing this deal and can get a .com domain with it for £14, which I wanted to change before but couldn't from a .co.uk one. I've taken the offer up and I'm in the process of putting forum back up using a different domain now.
Sounds like you are back on track, then. :p Guess take it easy with the domain name and the forum as well. :)

GTB

Tazmanian
£14 for a years hosting and get a .com domain used back with it. Meh, its nothing and worth putting back even if forum isn't used. :)

Phillip

The Priest
£14 for a years hosting and get a .com domain used back with it. Meh, its nothing and worth putting back even if forum isn't used. :)
That's true, I guess when you are use to making forums you tend to go back to eventually with a domain name you wanted forever. I know I did this after I got money to do it, wanted .net and went to town to get it.

GTB

Tazmanian
No, I wanted to ditch the .co.uk because you can't use WhoIs protection with it. Didn't know that before when getting it and couldn't change domain because tied to hosting, unless getting another hosting package to use a different. It was wrong address used with that .co.uk domain since anyway, I've moved house but never updated address with domain like your supposed to do with .co.uk.

That domain is listed for sale now at lowest price to get shut of it. If anyone wants it free, community-forums.co.uk and have a user account with namecheap. Let me know I'll push it to you free

Phillip

The Priest
I'll take it off your hands. :) I'll send a private message on here, since I can't private message you. Or well here Erroranon.

om2580

Neophyte
you must check their reviews section you will get better idea about their service and support

King G

Enthusiast
This is the general discussion for the Host Namecheap. Please discuss this Host here.
To write a review please click the 'write a review' button.
To ask a question, please click the 'ask a question' button.
To see the Host details, please click the 'overview' tab.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
I will buy a domain name on a SEPARATE site but plan to host on namecheap i can always move so i am thinking of giving it a shot.
I personally use NameSilo for my registrar as they offer free WHOIS privacy. NameCheap offers it the first year and then charges from then on (or at least it did when I used them for a registrar). I've known a few people that use them, and other than not really being a "performance based" setup, they had no real issues that effected them.

(btw it lets you access your data and migrate since it is a payed host right?)
Most hosts like that will. You have to be aware that if not doing a cPanel -> cPanel transfer, you can (once the DB reaches a certain point) have issues with exporting the DB using PhpMyAdmin. I'm frequently seeing reports of corrupted "backups" due to the timeout issue that can (and does) occur.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
You have to be aware that if not doing a cPanel -> cPanel transfer, you can (once the DB reaches a certain point) have issues with exporting the DB using PhpMyAdmin. I'm frequently seeing reports of corrupted "backups" due to the timeout issue that can (and does) occur.
BigDump :whistle:

You want to restore the very large backup of your mySQL database into the new or the same mySQL database. You can’t access the server shell and you can’t import the dump using phpMyAdmin or any other scripts due to hard memory resp. runtime limit of the web server.

BigDump does staggered import of large and very large MySQL Dumps (like phpMyAdmin dumps) even through the web servers with hard runtime limit and those in safe mode. The script executes only a small part of the huge dump and restarts itself. The next session starts where the last was stopped.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Pretty sure that's only for the IMPORT aspect... the error that I reference is in the EXPORT. It will frequently "appear" that you got a valid file to download, but it will be short of data - which results in a corrupted import to the new site.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Pretty sure that's only for the IMPORT aspect... the error that I reference is in the EXPORT. It will frequently "appear" that you got a valid file to download, but it will be short of data - which results in a corrupted import to the new site.
Ooops! My mistake. Reading comprehension o_O LOL... Yeah. BigDump is for importing large databases.

There's usually the cPanel "Backup" option for downloading databases though. It's generally solid functionality and hasn't (in my experience anyway) resulted in corrupted data. Also - depending on the amount of resources available - you could schedule and download a full website backup through cPanel. It includes all account info and can be used to restore to a new server and/or to simply have a local copy of all databases, home directory, etc...

Never had much issue with downloading databases via cPanel or phpMyAdmin, but have had plenty of issues trying to import back into cPanel and/or phpMyAdmin. But yeah ... BigDump is useful for importing very large databases. Really nice script. Could come in handy for the OP later down the road anyway.

J.

Dewlance

Aspirant
No, Domain registrar are not good in hosting and hosting providers can't provide domain registration better than domain registrar.

I never use hosting from domain registrar. I always prefer hosting provider.