MyBB Vs. vBulletin

Status
Not open for further replies.

porksy

YoungCoder
Honestly i think mybb looks lame and i will not even try it! It looks somewhat similar to vbulletin but looks nothing like a replacement. I beleive the people that support mybb and use it are people that really want vbulletin but either cant afford it, or dont want to pay.

IMPAQ

Nuyorican Soul
BamaStang232 said:
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Indeed. I've been using myBB for a couple of days now and am not impressed. I'll be making the switch to vB shortly. As much as people talk about it, I'm not sold on myBB. I'll wait till the "gold" release, but if it's not up to par, I'd rather spend a few bucks on vB.

Bryan

Lost in Ohio...
I don't see the value of comparing the two, myBB is not even out of the RC stage yet.

Zachery

Moo
Granted it has been two or three weeks since the author of this thread made the post, super slow development cycle.

LeftWingNutjob

Enthusiast
Bryan said:
I don't see the value of comparing the two, myBB is not even out of the RC stage yet.
I'm not sure whether or not you're a developer of any sort, and I'm not familiar with the developer(s) of MyBB, but generally the RC stage is identical to gold unless bugs are found. You have to freeze features eventually to get quality software.

Bryan

Lost in Ohio...
My point was that it's reliability has not been proven as vBulletin's has.

Zachery

Moo
LeftWingNutjob said:
I'm not sure whether or not you're a developer of any sort, and I'm not familiar with the developer(s) of MyBB, but generally the RC stage is identical to gold unless bugs are found. You have to freeze features eventually to get quality software.
Yes, however if RC is close to gold, then there should not be a 5 month pause between a final RC and gold.

enigma2005

Participant
all I can say is that Mybb has evolved into something like vB. I was surprised of its wonderful changes.

IMPAQ

Nuyorican Soul
enigma2005 said:
all I can say is that Mybb has evolved into something like vB. I was surprised of its wonderful changes.

It's lacks so many features that come just standard in even something like SMF. I wish I migrated to SMF from phpBB rather than myBB. :(

Zachery

Moo
MyBB has a very very long way to go before it comes close to vBulletin

tekkitan

Forum Junkie
I tried MyBB as well and was not impressed. It's admincp is a lot like IPB's in the style which I am not very fond of at all. Other than that, I think they just looked at vB, then looked and modified their code, then looked at vB, then modified their code, and so on.

Zachery is right. There shouldnt be a 5+ month gap between the final RC and Gold. It's losing them a lot of hype they once had.

Lee Davies

Habitué
And of course, it's real easy to release your own forum script with such giants like vBulletin, IPB, and phpBB...

tekkitan

Forum Junkie
Lee Davies said:
And of course, it's real easy to release your own forum script with such giants like vBulletin, IPB, and phpBB...

It is if you use them as guides in making your's :p

Ogden2k

Yea, I don't see how you can say this is like vB 3.x... I checked it out and it's nothing like it.

No thanks, I'll stick to vB.

Lee Davies

Habitué
Asthetically yes, it does resemble vBulletin.

But looks can be changed. How it handles itself code and database wise cannot.

tekkitan

Forum Junkie
Lee Davies said:
Asthetically yes, it does resemble vBulletin.

But looks can be changed. How it handles itself code and database wise cannot.

I've looked at the code. It closely resembles vB code. Though not an exact copy of course (I don't think so anyways).

safwan

Neophyte
WhSox21 said:
If it contains any of vBulletin's code then I see no reason not to take legal action. They need to write the code from the ground up. It looks like this forum software will only work for small boards though. They don't have any caching yet by just browsing their forums. I've registered on their site. I'm going to watch the development of the software. I wouldn't be suprised to see them go down if they have any of the other software's code. :2cents:
yeah i am on a inspection of that i will post the results in a day

Status
Not open for further replies.