MyBB Vs. vBulletin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel

Enthusiast
I have tested MyBB and then did a demo of vB. What I found is that its almost the same as vB.

On the MyBB forums people are even taking vB mods and porting them to MyBB in less then 2 days!

MyBB has a slight learning curve but I over came that last night. The lingo is different. Like 'child forum'...

One thing is that when you set up a forum it asks if it should "act like a forum"... Picking no makes it a catagory and then you can make 'children forums'...

I think MyBB is better then any and I mean any software I have used. I have used simple machine, vB, phpBB, Invision 1.3, and Invision 2.0.

MyBB is vB but the Admin CP is modeled differently. They should charge a license fee for it!

I am now running it on my forum. After testing it for 10 minutes I manuly changed it over. No import scripts for it yet... Bumber

Joel

Enthusiast
You'll love it! Fight the power! Free vB forums... Called MyBB.

WhSox21

Fan
It looks like they've almost copied the html... I didn't look at it closely but it appears almost the exact same.

Joel

Enthusiast
I've seen vB users scream and yell at myBB users. Why would they be screaming if vB was any better?

Developers on myBB forums have said they took IPB, vB, and phpBB and made it into one. I am happy with myBB...

I'm not trying to be nasty. On the vB forums they are talking about laywers and stuff. I have compared the code too.

Most of the code is original but some is like vB and phpBB and I see none of IPB. Its a great product.

Why is Jelsoft trying to take this off the market? Just because its free and had vB code in the PAST does not mean its a rip off.

WhSox21

Fan
If it contains any of vBulletin's code then I see no reason not to take legal action. They need to write the code from the ground up. It looks like this forum software will only work for small boards though. They don't have any caching yet by just browsing their forums. I've registered on their site. I'm going to watch the development of the software. I wouldn't be suprised to see them go down if they have any of the other software's code. :2cents:

phoenixdown21

The Man with the Plan
So ... what your saying is that these developers can't create an original and innovate forum package and has to steal the ideas of the major players on the market. Its okay, ill pay my fees to Jelsoft because I'll continue to support the innovation that others lack.

Looking at thier board however, it feels lacking. I feel like I am on something cheap. I also took a look at all the wonderful modifications and found that lacking too.

I personally dont think its worth the extra time it would take for me to hack in already existing vbulletin features like:

- Admin notes
- Editing of users post counts
- Last Post Icon
- Enabling / Disabling registration (are you serious, this has to be hacked in?!)
- Email Notification on PM
- Users latest threads

I wont even go on,... I gave up after the second catagory.

Joel

Enthusiast
I said in the past that code from vB was in the software. Not now. Jelsoft was speaking of laywers back when it was in version 2 I think.

The code now is original but some ideas are taken from other forum softwares. They are even developing a new theme engine. Did Jelsoft do that?

The next version called "Gold" is being released in a matter of 2-3 weeks. Much of the software is being changed.

Users are even preparing for the new theme engine and trying to get some code to do a few mods for it when its released.

I think its being changed a whole lot. I heard over 12 new features are being added. Thats not including the theme engine.

Take a look at my forum. Its in my sig. I had to reinstall because of a file I edited the wrong way.

It just launched about 2 days ago so. But that gives you a basic idea of the software.

Have you ever did a test drive of the Admin CP? It has a few more things then vB. If MyBB started having license fees i'd buy it in 2 seconds flat!

Most softwares have the same features. Jelsoft could not say that MyBB ripped off vB's features.

Give it a try and compare it to vB. Give it a fair chance in a live and running enviorment. What is there to lose?

lord

Enthusiast
the code could even be similar to vB but don't forget the vB's support is awesome ;)

Scribbller

The dude
Joel mate you really need to get your facts and figures right if you rank the bulletin boards like this.

- MyBB

- phpBB

- IPB

- Info Pop

- UBB

- Simple Machine

- vBulletin

I dont like VB personally but I dont deny its superiority over other bulletin board softwares. I am a user of VB and IPB and both of them are state of art products but the difference can easily be seen with VB support and community, you can never replace that, Mybb may have ripped VB of but at the end of the day they cannot rip off the goodwill attatched to the product. I saw mybb first time when it was RC2 and it was compelte ripoff from VB 2.3, even the graphics used were the ones used by jelsoft in their default VB 2.3 skin. It has changed a bit as far as cosmetics is concerned but code pretty much looks like the same.

RichieBoy67

Adherent
I have only really used VB exept for what I have tried on my test server so I cannot really offer too much of an opinion but I love VB.

My only complaint though is the dam upgrades happening so often. Personally I don't care for plain old stock vb but I think it is awesome once you install some mods and hacks and there are tons of them. The problem is that you spend hours upon hours installing this stuff and then they come up with an upgrade which forces you to pretty much reinstall everything.... That is what I hate... It is almost like windows updates but at least with windows updates you don't have to reinstall all of your programs.

I'm not sure but I bet most forum script is like that....

Joel

Enthusiast
Ok you can move vB close to Simple Machine. As you said good will goes into vB and I agree with that.

MyBB is just software that is trying to bring good meaning to the word 'free'. Not open sourse 'free' but 'free'.

I think if things go well with MyBB vB might have a match made in heaven. The features of MyBB and vB are almost the same. Its not a rip off.

People have made look-a-like skins in the past for MyBB like with RC2 I believe. The skins and features are alike not the code.

Last edited:

phoenixdown21

The Man with the Plan
Why do you keep talking about mybb having the same features as VB? MyBB is severely lacking. Honestly, phpbb 3 would be a serious free contender but this software you keep praising isnt even in the league as vb2 or phpbb yet in terms of functionality.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
Who is behind MyBB?
Here at MyBB we have an ever changing team of developers, support team members, as well as the loyal users. The current team includes:
Yeah.... I think I'll stick with VB for now. :)

MGM

vBulletin Guru
KW802 said:
Yeah.... I think I'll stick with VB for now. :)
lol!

the MyBB forum looks very empty... and some of the "cosmetics" I don't like.... I didn't have time to look through the features so I can't comment on that... the new theme engine sounds interesting, but I highly doubt it'd be as complex and functional as vB's Style Manager and Template systems.

MGM out

Brook

Devotee
I think there are a number of factors to look at.

To start off with, good luck to myBB - so long as it hasn't 'stolen' any code that is (nobody would want to risk having to stop using the software if it was succesfully taken to court). There's always room for more, bigger choice, better for us etc however...

Is it a threat to IP, vB or phpbb? Not on your nelly! I've never heard of it before and judging by the reponses above, nor had many others - people think hard before choosing forum software unless they are complete novices. Why? because we need software that works (cos we dont want to lose our db's) and proven systems like phpbb and vB will always win on that front because there's no denying they work, and work well. (Not saying myBB doesn't, just saying there's little proof of it in terms of seeing working 'mainstream' forums that use it).

Like I said above, I hope it isn't using any stolen code, because if it is all those people who downloaded it and are using it would have to stop, therefore if there are no convertors they will lose the communities they worked hard to build up (not to mention having to reskin/install/setup their new server software!).

With regards to support, from my experience, there's no better than vB, you get the feeling that they actually want to help - I've never been made to feel I am 'asking too many questions'! This is of particular importance to the more demanding user as we want an answer as quick as possible without having to wade through tons of pages first (although we can if we have the time).

It boils down to risk.

Would you take it with your community?

I know I wouldn't.

Moparx

GNU/Linux Inside
the fact that they stole vbulletins code (doesnt matter if it was 'in the past' or not) is just pathetic.. and if there is still even a hint of vbulletins code left i hope jelsoft nails them to the wall

RichieBoy67 said:
I have only really used VB exept for what I have tried on my test server so I cannot really offer too much of an opinion but I love VB.

My only complaint though is the dam upgrades happening so often. Personally I don't care for plain old stock vb but I think it is awesome once you install some mods and hacks and there are tons of them. The problem is that you spend hours upon hours installing this stuff and then they come up with an upgrade which forces you to pretty much reinstall everything.... That is what I hate... It is almost like windows updates but at least with windows updates you don't have to reinstall all of your programs.

I'm not sure but I bet most forum script is like that....
vbulletin does issue patches for those who don't want to redo all their hacks, etc...

blootix

Gamer
I have been a using MyBB for about 2 months then I switched to vB.

MyBB is nothing compared to vB. TRUST ME, I made the switch and I KNOW. vB's features are SO much more extensive.

What made me switch?
One day, I looked on their website for their "security patches and bug fixes" because when I turned the boards off to install a hack, it won't show the reason why I turned it off. After that, the cookies won't set.

A few features that this "MyBB" don't have that I need:
1). No ModCP---meaning that Mods can't ban users. I don't want to be on my forums 24/7 monitoring.
2). Hacking community lacks necessary hacks. They are all just simple hacks that are original features of vB.
3). The only custom skin available is the ones on their website.
4). <html> makeup of usernames won't work
5). It won't lift somebody's ban on time.
6). There isn't even a "closed" button for closed threads.

When I tried the vB's admin demo, I just had to make the switch. Sure, MBB has its potientials. But vB's already developed, and it's going to keep developing. MBB only has one person to code their software. vB has a whole team. They promised that Gold will be released in December of 2004, but it's still not released and now it's already March.

All those things made me switch.

BamaStangGuy

Fanatic
It is utterly insane the way you have those boards ranked. You must be in one hell of a state of denial or need to wake up from your sick dream.....

I responded to your other thread on this. vBulletin is so far superior to mybb its insane. www.vbulletin.org is FULL of coders giving licensed vbulletin users great hacks to add onto their board should they need more. vBulletin support is the best. They have a server optimization forum that is dedicated to just getting your board and server running the best it can. They have a suggestion forum and they have a bug tracker that they check everyday and log bugs to be fixed in new versions and provide the user with the code to fix it so they can go ahead and do it if they wish. mybb can not touch this. No free board can.

and you can bet with the next major release of vbulletin it will further distance itself from this mybb you speak of.... :wave:

RC4 Release Date: 4th October 2004.... I think there is a song for this.... "It's been awhile....."

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Status
Not open for further replies.