MyBB the right choice ?

GuruMeditationTM

Neophyte
Hello everybody.
I have tried a lot different forum software during the last couple of months, and ended up with MyBB as the most suitable. To begin with, vBulletin was the name of the first choice forum software i could read on the internet, but since it cost a jumbojet, it was out of reach for my budget.
So i tried most free / open source forum software available on the windows platform. But did i made the right choice with MyBB. I know it hasn't really been updated in ages, and currently there is only some info on progress of version 1.9 and no clue on when it will be released.
So did i made the right choice, or should i have chosen another software ?
I also had a thought if it's possible to get a used license for vBulletin somehow.
What do you guys think. Should i stick to MyBB or what would you do ?

Kind regards

Jason5

Adherent
MyBB has good support and they have numerous plugin to support your need. But as it is free it relies mostly on plugins available for example Like, SEO, Sitemap, Alerts etc.. you need to install plugin separately and set it up. But vBulletin has many of this inbuilt (i haven't used it personally).

Depending upon the need you can choose one, check ElkArte.net which is good for free forum software.

\o/

an oddity
You probably should not use the dying vBulletin anymore. MyBB is acceptable, although the admin area is confusing to me.

overcast

Adherent
I'd say stick with what you are comfortable. VBulletin is not bad either. But I'd for IPS if I had money. Xenforo is good but I worked on some projects and I prefer IPS instead.

Nabix

Yes you can get secondhand vBulletin licenses. I would strongly recommend only buying them from reputable people from well known websites.

myBB is an excellent choice. I started out using phpBB from ForumMotion. Then graduated to myBB. Their software is very will supported from the staff and the community. Not to mention how simple it is to edit the themes. Everything I know from coding today if because of myBB.

I cannot recommend them enough. :)

plushy

Neophyte
As always it depends of your forum goals and resources. Mybb is wonderful and poweful for a free software but demands a lot of time for a proper customization and in certain way css and medium html knowledge is mandatory to make the project work up. If you priority is monitization, easy customization and seo stuff Xenforo is far away a best option.

MTT

Aspirant
As open source forum I always preferred MyBB, since the good support, variety of plugins and the easy customization (as long as you're into Mybb template system) of the themes. I also found a good retro compatibility in many 1.6 plugins with the latest version. If I need a open source forum software i'd go for mybb instead of phpbb or smf.

Paul M

Super Moderator
I think he means Free :)

I think MyBB is one of the better free choices.

Ryan Ashbrook

IPS Developer
All forums are Open Source.

As mentioned, most free software is open source. Some free that use a custom, non-OSS compatible, license, and most paid software, would be considered visible source, meaning once you purchase / download, you can see and modify the source but you typically cannot redistribute it as a fork.

It's a tiny distinction but quite important. :)

\o/

an oddity
That's what I meant: Open Source is not automatically free software.