MyBB days are over ?

Oldcrow

Enthusiast
I just bought a domain and a forum can with it. mybb forum, I have done quite a bit of work on bringing it back to life..

I stay away from the main support forum, you can wait years for an answer, the are a few good mybb support forums around, this is where I get my help..

I was very fortunate to meet a young 19 year old college lad, who has been a great help to me, we TV and he shows me how to do a lot of things in the forum, I have learned how to install a mod now.

mybb sure is different, I thought IPB was bad but IPB did get better.. SMF is still my best one to work with..
Ron..

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
IPB is going to get even better I think with this next software release. MyBB isn't too bad though, they have a nice admin panel.

Oldcrow

Enthusiast
I still have one IPB license left, not using it right now, been a couple of years since working on IPB..

Yes the acp on mybb is easy to get around in.. They did have an upgrade I think a couple weeks ago.

When I took this board over spammers galore were hitting.. I eventually set up all the spam security I could find, now I haven't seen a spammer in over a week..

Funny thing while doing this I got my IP banned at Stop Spam Forum, pedigree had to go remove it for me..

Smokey

Enthusiast
MyBB felt like a project by kids who coded it when they were bored enough to do so. I recommend a platform like ZetaBoards before I recommend MyBB to anyone.

I think it'll reach it's EOL as a forum provider way before they even hit version 2.0. To be honest there was no need to have so many 1.x versions (1.0-1.8? really? Not needed.....)

The look of it is too dated as well, it lacks features that IPB, vB and Xenforo have standard now. PhpBB is another forum software with one foot in the grave already.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
SMF's in that category too. But they *are* made by people doing it in their spare time. There's no arguing that fact.

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
Yeah I agree with you there, Pete. Volunteering to do something is a lot harder than getting paid to do it especially as we all have our lives to tend with. I do hope to see more free forum software solutions stay in the game though. I'd hate to see a trend of just paid and all the free guys give up. Maybe more free software folks need to be like WP, offer the majority as a freemium but start some paid solutions as well to keep things going.

Soulwatcher

Devotee
For the most part I think MyBB is dead in the water. How ever I have seen some relevant MyBB websites that had a lot of active posters. I think with enough plugins you could make a nice MyBB website. Most people are not going to care what forum software your using as long as it looks nice and its doing what they want it to do.

Greg

Demon_skeith

Participant
I find mybb to far more active that VB and I see many forums still using the software. If it had a better support forum it could have gone a lot farther.

AllanD

Habitué
Support is a major problem that they are having and that should be corrected first.

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
So what new and exciting features come with 1.8?

To me 1.6 is PhpBB3 with a more modern looking theme :p

Pete

More importantly, what features is it only just getting that SMF has had for a while? *laughs*

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
Yeah lol, the features they are getting are features most forum software has had for ages lol

They don't even have a built-in premium member function. I was told by a former team member there that they would never had a paid subscription feature. He said it like it was offensive, LOL!

Pete

I can sort of see that. Sort of. For a project that's all about freedom, paid subscriptions are potentially dodgy ground. There are people who see it as tainting SMF, but they're all kind of crazy in my not so humble or contrite opinion on the subject. :p

I figure if it's going to be done, it probably should be a core feature that's properly maintained and supported rather being a third party feature.

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
Have you seen MyBB's anti-spam features? CAPTCHA and Akismet as a plugin :p

Pete

Akismet? The heck?

Akismet is a joke even on the environment it was conceived and built for - WordPress comments, which are naturally a different beast and style to forum replies. Trying to hammer it into a forum really doesn't work.

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
And its a plugin lol so if you don't use it, you have basic captcha lol

AllanD

Habitué
Yeah that is it, just basic captcha. They do have a mod for Keycaptcha which I use everywhere.

Dilip

Devotee
@Shawn,

How about aaf.com/mybb18 ? A test site with demo account so that users can see what exactly is happening.