MyBB Commercial Plugins Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Gordon

Ex-MyBB Lead Developer
I mean really who wants to convert from IPB/vB and have to fork out potentially up to the cost of keeping thier vB/IPB license for MYBB plugins so they can have the same features which is in most cases already built into vB/IPB? Yeah several people forget there is now around 7-8 (maybe 9 ) people doing that 5 dollar bit which add's up to about the cost ( if you need all of them ) of continued support/updates with a vB/IPB license.
Free forum software will ALWAYS be behind paid forum software. The simple fact that paid forum software is where people get to sit behind a desk for 8 hours a day will always put them ahead of the free guys.

The mere fact that you would change from going from a paid forum software to a free forum software means that you are changing to a different species of forum software. Forum Software's aim is NOT to be a free version of a paid forum software. So if you think that is what you are getting, then you are very much mistaken.

Or why should anyone in thier right mind wanna convert from PHPBB/SMF where all of this stuff is free and same support?
Why shouldn't you pay? Don't you live in a capitalist society where everything is about paying for stuff? In fact, the Open Source community is for paying for things. Why shouldn't people make a profit off of the time, blood, and sweat they pour into things they make?

If you go to work everyday and make money and come home and complain that people actually try to make a living, then that just makes you look like a pompous fool.

Not to mention thats alot of people/places to keep track of. And alot of these same guys who are pro paid plugins often wonder why there is hardly any decent/quality/professional sites using MYBB. It is really ashame because as said alot of times MYBB itself is very good software and has alot more POTENTIAL then all the rest. And nobody sees this which is really ashame. I am just thankfull that my MYBB forum doesnt need any of that stuff.
NO ONE forces you to buy those plugins. If your LOOKING for a vB/IPB feature set, then GO BUY IPB OR vB and stop complaining about it. Free forum software and paid forum software are two different species and always will be.

And how are they missing out at the others if the feature is already there and free? Sorry but that makes zero sense.
Just because it's free, doesn't mean it is better. Let me pull you into an alternative reality, just for a second. Imagine a completely free MyBB, where everything that applies to MyBB has to be free. What does that mean? We have plugin authors who don't actually have to be accountable for their maintenance and support of plugins, because they are free. We don't have professional, paid-for security audits, because if you can't fish up 5$ then why should MyBB spend potentially thousands of dollars, out-of-pocket?

This entire world relies on spending money. The small percent of the population who are able and want to create things for free, at the expense of sacrificing their own free time, is the extreme generosity that you shouldn't take as a necessity and instead be extremely grateful for.

HarryWx

IPB 3.0+ User
Free forum software will ALWAYS be behind paid forum software. The simple fact that paid forum software is where people get to sit behind a desk for 8 hours a day will always put them ahead of the free guys.

The mere fact that you would change from going from a paid forum software to a free forum software means that you are changing to a different species of forum software. Forum Software's aim is NOT to be a free version of a paid forum software. So if you think that is what you are getting, then you are very much mistaken.
I never said that did i? Nope. It seems again you missed my point which seems to happen alot where this topic is concerned.

Why shouldn't you pay? Don't you live in a capitalist society where everything is about paying for stuff? In fact, the Open Source community is for paying for things. Why shouldn't people make a profit off of the time, blood, and sweat they pour into things they make?

If you go to work everyday and make money and come home and complain that people actually try to make a living, then that just makes you look like a pompous fool.
Nice spin here. But let me ask.. Why is it that those doing simular mods/plugins over at PHPBB/SMF dont feel that way and are ok with Donations which HAS WORKED for years now? PLEASE Answer this. Thanks.

NO ONE forces you to buy those plugins. If your LOOKING for a vB/IPB feature set, then GO BUY IPB OR vB and stop complaining about it. Free forum software and paid forum software are two different species and always will be.
I again NEVER said anyone forces me to do anything. I will admit though that i havent switched my other forum from IPB to MYBB because of this though. Again i ask ( see if you dodge this again ) why should i or anyone else consider switching to MYBB and having to pay every guy doing paid plugins the same amount of money i would be spending just to keep my license active on IPB and thus avoiding the hassle of converting as well? Heck all of it is basically already included. Or is it that MYBB would rather not have people converting from IPB/vB etc to MYBB? I would like to think that as a developer for MYBB that you would want to attract those kinds of users to the software but maybe i am wrong. I dont know. Same applies to the free ones such as SMF/PHPBB. Dont you all want them users as well? Again why should they spend the time converting to MYBB when on top of that they will have to fork out potentially up to 45 bucks for mods/plugins that they already get for free on those systems? YES MYBB is good and why i use it but i dont have a need for that stuff either on my MYBB forum unlike many others who probably do and thus why they probably have not converted to MYBB from phpbb/smf.

Just because it's free, doesn't mean it is better. Let me pull you into an alternative reality, just for a second. Imagine a completely free MyBB, where everything that applies to MyBB has to be free. What does that mean? We have plugin authors who don't actually have to be accountable for their maintenance and support of plugins, because they are free. We don't have professional, paid-for security audits, because if you can't fish up 5$ then why should MyBB spend potentially thousands of dollars, out-of-pocket?

This entire world relies on spending money. The small percent of the population who are able and want to create things for free, at the expense of sacrificing their own free time, is the extreme generosity that you shouldn't take as a necessity and instead be extremely grateful for.

MYBB itself isnt paid and thus has zero to do with this. :confused: Only one ( that i am aware of ) who gives anything back to MYBB for their work is Labrocca. Surely you are not implying that his donations covers the cost of running MYBB which yes includes the so called security audit? Now let me give you a alternate view on this. How many potential users do you honestly think bypass ( or dont switch to ) MYBB because of these paid plugins and thus how much money ( Donations ) do you think MYBB loses out on because of it? Have you EVER ONCE thought of that? Note that Donations do not seem to be a problem for PHPBB and thus something for you to consider. Think about how many professional sites that are using the rest that MYBB severly lacks in. These are sites taking in income and thus very much has the means to give a little back to say PHPBB etc. I know of one personally who gives back to PHPBB quite a bit every year which is a Big board. So again explain how paid plugins are good for mybb?
Also i never said free was better quality either and thus unsure where you got that from?? :confused: This solely depends on the author and thus quality of their work. I have seen good and bad with both paid and free ones and thus the point i was making which is that neither are better.

And yeah as a man who is 40yrs old with a wife and 3 kids i fully well know the world relies on money to make it work. And unlike a few i DO greatly appreciate the work of those who do it for free and when i can if need be i will show my appreciation in the form of a donation as i have always done.

Ryan Gordon

Ex-MyBB Lead Developer
I never said that did i? Nope. It seems again you missed my point which seems to happen alot where this topic is concerned.
Then make your point clearer.

Nice spin here. But let me ask.. Why is it that those doing simular mods/plugins over at PHPBB/SMF dont feel that way and are ok with Donations which HAS WORKED for years now? PLEASE Answer this. Thanks.
The reason donations work over there is because they choose to enforce free plugins there. It works there because there is simply no other alternative. The alternatives instead come to places that do allow it, like paid plugins with MyBB. What your asking me to answer is like why doesn't your neighbor live in your house? Because you don't let them live in your house.

I again NEVER said anyone forces me to do anything. I will admit though that i havent switched my other forum from IPB to MYBB because of this though. Again i ask ( see if you dodge this again ) why should i or anyone else consider switching to MYBB and having to pay every guy doing paid plugins the same amount of money i would be spending just to keep my license active on IPB and thus avoiding the hassle of converting as well?
Why are you asking me? That's not something I can answer. That's your choice. If IPB works for you, then stick with IPB. If MyBB works for you, then stick with MyBB. Don't ask me, because it's not something I can answer.

Heck all of it is basically already included. Or is it that MYBB would rather not have people converting from IPB/vB etc to MYBB? I would like to think that as a developer for MYBB that you would want to attract those kinds of users to the software but maybe i am wrong. I dont know.
We want people to come to MyBB because of MyBB. Just like I'm not going to try and be someone else just to impress a girl.

Same applies to the free ones such as SMF/PHPBB. Dont you all want them users as well? Again why should they spend the time converting to MYBB when on top of that they will have to fork out potentially up to 45 bucks for mods/plugins that they already get for free on those systems?
Again, that is your choice. You don't have to spend 45$ to buy mods/plugins. If what you have currently works for you, then great. If MyBB works better for you then great as well.

YES MYBB is good and why i use it but i dont have a need for that stuff either on my MYBB forum unlike many others who probably do and thus why they probably have not converted to MYBB from phpbb/smf.
And I am completely fine with that. If there are alternatives that work better for someone else then I don't need to waste my time trying to convince people otherwise. They will make their own opinion based on their needs, and choose their product based on their needs. They don't need to be forced to MyBB if MyBB doesn't fit them.

MYBB itself isnt paid and thus has zero to do with this. :confused: Only one ( that i am aware of ) who gives anything back to MYBB for their work is Labrocca. Surely you are not implying that his donations covers the cost of running MYBB which yes includes the so called security audit?
Most of the costs of running MyBB and the security audit are paid for out of pocket by Chris Boulton. Labrocca's donations are a significant portion of the total donations that come in. I don't see a reason to cut that off if I don't have to.

Now let me give you a alternate view on this. How many potential users do you honestly think bypass ( or dont switch to ) MYBB because of these paid plugins and thus how much money ( Donations ) do you think MYBB loses out on because of it?
I don't know. Do you know? Or goal is not maximizing our potential donations. Our goal is making a good product. Whether or not it fits your needs is your choice to make.

Have you EVER ONCE thought of that? Note that Donations do not seem to be a problem for PHPBB and thus something for you to consider. Think about how many professional sites that are using the rest that MYBB severly lacks in. These are sites taking in income and thus very much has the means to give a little back to say PHPBB etc. I know of one personally who gives back to PHPBB quite a bit every year which is a Big board.
The reason you see that is because phpBB started out much earlier then MyBB did and therefore took a much larger chunk of the market share. For quite a while it was really the only real viable free forum software out there, which is why people flocked to it. And now that they've had those users for such a long time, who are familiar with phpBB, they don't switch.

So again explain how paid plugins are good for mybb?
Paid plugins have their pros and cons. Free plugins also have their pros and cons. Because the MyBB Staff agree that we should be open to commerce, we have chosen to allow them. You nor I can say if they are good or bad for MyBB until enough time has gone by to qualify a reasonable statement based on where MyBB has gone, taking into account other factors.

And yeah as a man who is 40yrs old with a wife and 3 kids i fully well know the world relies on money to make it work. And unlike a few i DO greatly appreciate the work of those who do it for free and when i can if need be i will show my appreciation in the form of a donation as i have always done.
You clearly don't understand that the world relies on money to make it work. If you did then paid plugins wouldn't be this big of a deal to you.

Just because SMF/phpBB does it doesn't mean MyBB will do it.

HarryWx

IPB 3.0+ User
Then make your point clearer.
I believe i did. ;)

The reason donations work over there is because they choose to enforce free plugins there. It works there because there is simply no other alternative. The alternatives instead come to places that do allow it, like paid plugins with MyBB. What your asking me to answer is like why doesn't your neighbor live in your house? Because you don't let them live in your house.
To my knowledge they dont have any rules posted anywhere about paid stuff? Point is that it WORKS. I need not mention the differences in the size of the modding communities either.

Why are you asking me? That's not something I can answer. That's your choice. If IPB works for you, then stick with IPB. If MyBB works for you, then stick with MyBB. Don't ask me, because it's not something I can answer.
I think it is something that you DONT wanna answer because there is some truth to all of what i say about how the paid pluigins have a negative effect on MYBB's image but thats cool.

We want people to come to MyBB because of MyBB. Just like I'm not going to try and be someone else just to impress a girl.
Thats cool but you dont sound to enthused about it on HERE anyways.

Again, that is your choice. You don't have to spend 45$ to buy mods/plugins. If what you have currently works for you, then great. If MyBB works better for you then great as well.
I KNOW it is my choice. You just will never get it.

And I am completely fine with that. If there are alternatives that work better for someone else then I don't need to waste my time trying to convince people otherwise. They will make their own opinion based on their needs, and choose their product based on their needs. They don't need to be forced to MyBB if MyBB doesn't fit them.
Thats NOT the point. How come you dont want these types of users? Why do you want MYBB to stay in the shadows? Sorry but thats exactly the IMPRESSION you are giving me.

Most of the costs of running MyBB and the security audit are paid for out of pocket by Chris Boulton. Labrocca's donations are a significant portion of the total donations that come in. I don't see a reason to cut that off if I don't have to.
Oh but you would go out of your way doing as you are here defending them guys and cut off potential new users and thus potential donations. YEAH..That really makes sense. That btw is sad too because i know he only gives back 20% off of what he makes on those plugins.

I don't know. Do you know? Or goal is not maximizing our potential donations. Our goal is making a good product. Whether or not it fits your needs is your choice to make.
Yet you are willing to go out of your way for Labrocca? That really makes sense. Thats good that the goal is making a good product but there is such a thing called public relations and right now i dont possibly see how this is good for that. You say you are not worried about donations but then say you dont wanna lose a paid plugin supporter who donates to MYBB and go out of your way to defend him/paid plugins even when there is no need to. Can we say blantent favortisim??? And you honestly think this will go over well with other plugin/mod authors?

The reason you see that is because phpBB started out much earlier then MyBB did and therefore took a much larger chunk of the market share. For quite a while it was really the only real viable free forum software out there, which is why people flocked to it. And now that they've had those users for such a long time, who are familiar with phpBB, they don't switch.
Come on Ryan.. You actually think most people dont know about MYBB by now? SMF is about the same age as MYBB and look at them. Heck you are not even trying to appeal to them right now. Your only worry is about one plugin developer who donates to MYBB.

Paid plugins have their pros and cons. Free plugins also have their pros and cons. Because the MyBB Staff agree that we should be open to commerce, we have chosen to allow them. You nor I can say if they are good or bad for MyBB until enough time has gone by to qualify a reasonable statement based on where MyBB has gone, taking into account other factors.
We *might* have had our wirse crossed on this. We both agree that both free and paid have their pro's and cons. I already know how MYBB feels about them too and thus wasnt commenting on that. But yeah i guess we will see how this all works out however if the 1st year is any indication then well i think my point will stand. In the end it would help if there was a free version of every paid plugin and well this is something that you ( or anyone else on the development team ) shouldn't be expected to do. Thing for you guys is to HELP PUSH/ENCOURAGE people to do free ones. That IS something you all can do. I have yet to EVER see a single one of you all do that but yet i see you all constantly on the backs of those who dont care for the paid plugins.

You clearly don't understand that the world relies on money to make it work. If you did then paid plugins wouldn't be this big of a deal to you.

Just because SMF/phpBB does it doesn't mean MyBB will do it.
[/quote]

Umm..Who still lives at home with Mom and or dad and doesnt have to pay a single bill? Not me. So please dont tell me what i do or dont understand. Unlike you i have to provide for my family and thus put food on the table, roof over head etc. Sorry but you are in for a REALLY RUDE awakening once you move into the real world if you think making MYBB plugins for 5 bucks will put food on the table and a roof over your families head. One thing to make a few extra bucks on the side but another to try and earn a living solely doing this stuff. You are really reaching with this example too. Again i find it funny how this is not a issue with mod/plugin authors on SMF/Phpbb but ONLY at MYBB? Why is that? What makes the mod/plugin authors at MYBB that much more deserving then those on phpbb/smf who only ask for donations or a simple thank you on their forums?

Could it be that the reason they are a big deal to me is because i do actually care a little about MYBB and where it is going and thus that i would like to see it succeed as it should? Oh no.. That cant possibly be it.:hopeless: Someday you might understand.

chonghua

Aspirant
how about for users who dont have a credit card or a non verified paypal? how can they get a subscription to download a plugin? thanks just a query..

theone759

Habitué
how about for users who dont have a credit card or a non verified paypal? how can they get a subscription to download a plugin? thanks just a query..
Before he offered a lifetime subscription for making posts on one of his forums. Thats how I got my subscription. Not sure if it's still around or not

Marshalrusty

phpBB Project Manager
I'll go ahead and take exception to that.

There's no question that an organisation with paid developers is able to put more man-hours into development. Whether that ultimately results in better software, however, is another story. Since "better" is entirely subjective, it's actually possible for software to get further away from someone's definition of "better" with each passing commit.

So I'd just like to finish by saying that such vague generalisations are your own opinion, and don't represent the opinions of all "free forum software" :)

Mythotical

Habitué
I'll go ahead and take exception to that.

There's no question that an organisation with paid developers is able to put more man-hours into development. Whether that ultimately results in better software, however, is another story. Since "better" is entirely subjective, it's actually possible for software to get further away from someone's definition of "better" with each passing commit.

So I'd just like to finish by saying that such vague generalisations are your own opinion, and don't represent the opinions of all "free forum software" :)
No one ever said it was the opinion of all "free forum software" but he is right, look at the stats, look at the attention each free forum software has gotten. Its less than paid forum software and the stats prove that. So its really not an opinion at all but a proven and truthful fact.

Cheers :bonk:

Ryan Gordon

Ex-MyBB Lead Developer
To my knowledge they dont have any rules posted anywhere about paid stuff? Point is that it WORKS. I need not mention the differences in the size of the modding communities either.
phpBB is GNU/GPL, which disallows plugins/mods not being GNU/GPL compatible as well and SMF has their own proprietary license which prohibits selling modifications under a paid license. Learn your facts before your argue them. That's the reason MyBB is changing to another license if we have to.

I KNOW it is my choice. You just will never get it.
Okay then. I will never get it. So can we stop arguing? The MyBB Group isn't going to change their views even if you harped on for the next 60 years. Your tactlessness has made your opinions moot to the MyBB Group.

Why do you want MYBB to stay in the shadows?
Because I don't want to give MyBB skin cancer. :hopeless:

Oh but you would go out of your way doing as you are here defending them guys and cut off potential new users and thus potential donations. YEAH..That really makes sense.
I'm not defending a particular subset of people, I'm defending the MyBB Group's ideals. Obviously we want to attract people to MyBB, but based on our ideals not otherwise.

That btw is sad too because i know he only gives back 20% off of what he makes on those plugins.
It's more then many people will ever donate.

Yet you are willing to go out of your way for Labrocca?
I'm not defending a particular subset of people, I'm defending the MyBB Group's ideals.

That really makes sense. Thats good that the goal is making a good product but there is such a thing called public relations and right now i dont possibly see how this is good for that.
Public Relations doesn't always mean bending over backwards and kissing your toes. Sometimes PR is to correct misinformed views and make clarifications as I am doing right now.

You say you are not worried about donations but then say you dont wanna lose a paid plugin supporter who donates to MYBB
You aren't understanding. There's no need to loose what donations we currently have, but increasing funding is NOT our first priority. If we just leave it be then as time goes on and MyBB as a product becomes better, then the user base will grow and statistically so will the donations. Whether or not there are paid plugins, I think is a minor factor to most people. Maybe not to you, but to most people.

and go out of your way to defend him/paid plugins even when there is no need to.
I'm not defending a particular subset of people, I'm defending the MyBB Group's ideals.

Can we say blantent favortisim??? And you honestly think this will go over well with other plugin/mod authors?
I'm not defending a particular subset of people, I'm defending the MyBB Group's ideals. I'm very happy and very thankful for all the plugin/mod authors we have that contribute to MyBB, whether or not they create paid plugins.

Come on Ryan.. You actually think most people dont know about MYBB by now? SMF is about the same age as MYBB and look at them. Heck you are not even trying to appeal to them right now.
This isn't a race Harry. It's not the end of the world if we don't pass out pamphlets at the steps of the supreme court or send out spam emails to everyone in the world advertising MyBB.

This is just a side project for all of us. It's not about being the "OMG WE'RE #1!" forum software. That is the least of our concerns.

Your only worry is about one plugin developer who donates to MYBB.

We *might* have had our wirse crossed on this. We both agree that both free and paid have their pro's and cons. I already know how MYBB feels about them too and thus wasnt commenting on that. But yeah i guess we will see how this all works out however if the 1st year is any indication then well i think my point will stand. In the end it would help if there was a free version of every paid plugin and well this is something that you ( or anyone else on the development team ) shouldn't be expected to do. Thing for you guys is to HELP PUSH/ENCOURAGE people to do free ones. That IS something you all can do.
We have a big backlog of things to get through before we can get to that. We want to get all of our ducks in order and there are many other things we want to fix and improve that we consider priority or are simply a prerequisite before we can begin to market both the free and the paid communities. In fact, I think the community should get involved more and be a closer part to MyBB by doing things such as spreading the word and marketing for both free and paid plugins either by word of mouth or by example. Everyone active on the team is already overwhelmed with work.

Umm..Who still lives at home with Mom and or dad and doesnt have to pay a single bill? Not me. So please dont tell me what i do or dont understand.
I work a 7 & 1/2hr day, and I have a robotics club, and I work on MyBB and other websites, and I have clients, and school and getting things done that need to be done for college such as SAT I's and SAT II's and visiting campus's and all sorts of other stuff so don't pretend to know my life and make it out to be as if I sit on my butt all day and program MyBB while I'm spoon fed by my parents. No, that's not how it goes.

Unlike you i have to provide for my family and thus put food on the table, roof over head etc.
You can afford a $149.99 IPB license with a 45$ yearly renewal fee but you can't afford a one time subscription of 5$? If your that overzealous about money then I think you have bigger problems then a 5$ one time subscription.

And so why are you here arguing? Seems to me like you need to get your priorities straight. Family over the internet, especially arguing over silly things. I put School, my actual job, friends and family ahead of MyBB which is part of the reason that 1.4 took so long. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you complain gratuitously about how long 1.4 was taking as well?

Sorry but you are in for a REALLY RUDE awakening once you move into the real world if you think making MYBB plugins for 5 bucks will put food on the table and a roof over your families head.
Thanks, anything else obvious you'd like to add?

One thing to make a few extra bucks on the side but another to try and earn a living solely doing this stuff.
No one is making a living solely doing that. All paid plugin authors have alternative sources of income or don't require one.

You are really reaching with this example too. Again i find it funny how this is not a issue with mod/plugin authors on SMF/Phpbb but ONLY at MYBB? Why is that? What makes the mod/plugin authors at MYBB that much more deserving then those on phpbb/smf who only ask for donations or a simple thank you on their forums?
Perhaps we have an open mind to all types of commerce?

Could it be that the reason they are a big deal to me is because i do actually care a little about MYBB and where it is going and thus that i would like to see it succeed as it should? Oh no.. That cant possibly be it.:hopeless: Someday you might understand.
Well then, your like a person who doesn't know how to let go. You care so much you actually are making things worse. Your take up so much of the little time that the MyBB Staff has, arguing about minute issues, that you are slowing things down. We respond because we feel if we don't, you'll stir up trouble by spreading anecdotes about the MyBB Staff "not responding and therefore don't care."

Last edited:

Lich_king2

Zeusoft's Chief.
To cut chit chat, it seems that MyBB needs new set of developers not in alliance with Labrocca. The simple and only word to this long post is that someone here has interest in defending him. What some of you are pointing is that some of us are dumb because we don't want to follow the ways about commercial plugins. It seems that only one who has BENEFIT of whole MyBB is Jesse Labrocca. Excuse me but telling us that way as you did it seems that other administrators are stupid because they don't make their own plugins for theirs forum. Some of us don't have much time to do that. I wouldn't be surprised if you built that guy a monument or include him in credits. The whole of point is this: Tell Jesse Labrroca and others like Pirata Nervo that if they want to make money to go to work for Vbulletin or for IPB. We don't need a cancer in MyBB.

Now let us hear other opinions of MyBB:
I have two small SMF forums, one with just under 500 members and one with 125 members. I use these support forums for help on mods and other customizations. I always encounter friendly and helpful support.

I also maintain a small MyBB forum for a friend and while the software is pretty good, some of the support staff (especially one individual ) are pompous, egotistical jerks that assume you are already a professional programmer.

If you don't like SMF, definitely stay away from MyBB unless you don't need much support.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=322005.msg2142679#msg2142679
Hello

Sorry for my bad English but I really want to post my two cents. SMF is nice software, very nice coded. First I always was a fan of MyBB. I love MyBB qua features, but qua PHP the system is less nice
- Drumstick
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=312628.msg2074533#msg2074533
And ladies and gentlemens here is what labrocca said to user:
That's what I'm being told by MYBB's mod builder named, labrocca :eek:

Is it true that MYBB is better than SMF? I've been using SMF for years and love it. But this MYBB guy is claiming:

But Mybb offers more options and has more features. I guess I would choose to use SMF if I was a total noob and required someone to hold my hand for FTP. I personally need more power and flexibility and that's why Mybb offers me. SMF has too many limitations and not enough flexibility or power imho. If you don't need a lot of features and you aren't going to update your forums when a release is made..then 100% use SMF.

Source- http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1070867&page=5

It's funny, because this guy is a MYBB coder and tells everyone that MYBB is the best and n00bs use SMF and goes on saying how bad SMF is and how generic the SMF system is... then one guy falls into this lie and tries to install MYBB on his server and there was a bug that wouldn't allow it to work right, so this coder fixed it to work on his server, because there was no support on the MYBB support forum.

Why do you think people lie? MYBB might be a good software, but saying it's better than SMF or only n00bs use SMF is just straight up deception.
I understand that

Labrocca
Pirata Nervo
ghazal
Zash

And a few others developers submit their design\code to public with a different license (subscribers only) than people who share their work in http://mods.mybboard.net/mods and http://mods.mybboard.net/themes ...

I can´t said for sure, but as far as I know only mybbcentral donates regularly to mybb group. And if you search to "mybbcentral" in "Plugin Request" Forum you´ll get 7 pages of results. So their plugins are posted twice: in "Plugin Releases" and "Request" forum... it´s well known mybbcentral it´s the best unnoficial mybb plugin repository today, so there´s nothing wrong with that.

So could you please create a distinction between threads in Plugins & Themes Releases in the Rules of those 2 Forums - using [Premium] tag in Thread Title would be fine - or just add a Sub-Forum to promote them apart?

Oh and when you want to quit with Jesse Labrocca be sure to release these (his)plugins to public
Tagpad- A shoutbox alternative.
LinkVault- A link exchange system.
Minimum Attachment Posts- Minimum post requirement for attachment downloads.
Password Reset- Reset and e-mail new passwords to all members.
Minimum Thread Titles- Requires a minimum count for thread titles.
HTML Signatures- Allow HTML signatures by user and/or group.
Youtube MyCode- MyCode for YouTube.com videos.
PM Subject- Require a subject for PMs.
Prune Members- Quick prune 0 post or inactive members.
Ignore Posts Plugin- Ignored members posts will not be visible.
Simple Tag Cloud- Adds a tag cloud to your site.
Online 24- List members who have visited in the last 24 hours.
Country Flags in Postbit- Adds a country flag image to postbit.
Google Analytics for MyBB- Simple placement of Google Analytics.
IPN Paypal Subscriptions- Automated process for paid subscribers.
Inline Ads- Inserts inline ads into your forum.
Skunkmedals- Medal and award system.
My Meta Tags- Adds dynamic meta description tags and static keyword meta tag.
HTML Permissions- Allow HTML for either UIDs or for Usergroups.
Ajax Image Popup- Attachment images are viewed in a lightbox.
Default Message- Creates default messages for forums.
Restrict User Names and Titles- Restrict custom usertitles and usernames.
Easy Bad Word Installer- Installs 40 words in your bad words table for censorship.
MyBB EZSQL AdminCP Tool- Allows the admin to execute SQL commands from within the AdminCP.
Backdoor- Allows you to admin any member in case of a lockout or deletion of your account.
MyBB Spy- Adds an AJAX RSS spy to your site.
April Fools- Randomizes the text into 8 possible crazy displays.
Contact Form- Create a contact form to replace the mailto: for the setting "contactlink".
Minimum Posts For PM- Minimum post requirement to send a PM.
Minimum Posts for Reputation- Minimum post requirement to leave reputation.
Image Reputation- Alters reputation in postbit to be an image.
Rel=Nofollow Signatures- Signatures will gain the rel=nofollow tag.
Freenode PJIRC Chat- A PJIRC chat software plugin for MyBB that utilizes Freenode.net servers.
MyBB Site Sig v2- Displays forum stats in a signature image.
Profile Ban- Adds a Quick Ban for moderators on a users profile.
MyBB Mood Mod- Adds a mood icon to the postbit.
Delete member posts and threads- Allows you to delete all of a members posts or threads.
Forum Icons- Add forum icons to your index page and subforum index pages.
Easy Refer- A better referral system with member viewable tracking.
Mod Warning Mycode- Give warnings in posts.
MYPS- A MyBB Points System.
MYPS Lottery v1.0- Adds a lottery that is MYPS compatible.
MYPS Slots Add-on- Adds a simple slot machine for MYPS.
Get the facts. It's not even funny that everyone who asks for a decent plugin that you point them to mybbcentral.

Last edited:

NeoThermic

Developer
phpBB is GNU/GPL, which disallows plugins/mods not being GNU/GPL as well
Incorrect. The GNU/GPL means modification authors can not use non-GPL compatible licences; it does not force them to use the GNU/GPL. There are a large number of licences that are GPL compatible (such as the Apache Licence, the BDB Licence, LGPL, IBM PL, OSI, MIT, BSD, Mozilla Public Licence; just to name a few high-profile ones); it would be permissible for a modification to be released under such licences, and we (the phpBB group) permit such actions.

NeoThermic

Marshalrusty

phpBB Project Manager
No one ever said it was the opinion of all "free forum software" but he is right, look at the stats, look at the attention each free forum software has gotten. Its less than paid forum software and the stats prove that. So its really not an opinion at all but a proven and truthful fact.

Cheers :bonk:
The first sentence I quoted is:
Free forum software will ALWAYS be behind paid forum software
That is generalising an opinion to make it sound more factual.

Mythotical, what "stats" at you looking at?

Ryan Gordon

Ex-MyBB Lead Developer
Incorrect. The GNU/GPL means modification authors can not use non-GPL compatible licences; it does not force them to use the GNU/GPL. There are a large number of licences that are GPL compatible (such as the Apache Licence, the BDB Licence, LGPL, IBM PL, OSI, MIT, BSD, Mozilla Public Licence; just to name a few high-profile ones); it would be permissible for a modification to be released under such licences, and we (the phpBB group) permit such actions.

NeoThermic
That is what I meant, yes.

To cut chit chat, it seems that MyBB needs new set of developers not in alliance with Labrocca. The simple and only word to this long post is that someone here has interest in defending him.
I'm not defending a particular subset of people or a single person, I'm defending the MyBB Group's ideals. Even if labrocca didn't donate to MyBB, I would still feel the same way. We don't receive donations from other paid-plugin authors and they are still as welcome as anyone else. Got it?

It seems that only one who has BENEFIT of whole MyBB is Jesse Labrocca.
Users benefit from excellent plugins and support and knowing that more plugins will be developed (as so many you complain MyBB has a lack of) in the future, so long as all plugin creators feel they are welcome.

Excuse me but telling us that way as you did it seems that other administrators are stupid because they don't make their own plugins for theirs forum. Some of us don't have much time to do that.
Give me one example where I ever said that. Just one.

I wouldn't be surprised if you built that guy a monument or include him in credits.
:wtf:

The whole of point is this: Tell Jesse Labrroca and others like Pirata Nervo that if they want to make money to go to work for Vbulletin or for IPB.
Uhm, no. They have every right to make plugins for whatever software they want, and if they want to make off of it, they sure as hell should be able to do.

Now let us hear other opinions of MyBB:
I love how you take a few quotes out of all of our tens of thousands of users and use those to bolster your argument, which in the end has absolutely nothing to do with this thread either way. Just do a simply search on the community forums and look at all the positive feedback we've gotten. It's plenty bigger then the small percentage of users who've said otherwise.

Let me remind ALL of you again. The GNU/GPL ENCOURAGES making profit from the work you create. THAT is NOT the issue here.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

Last edited:

Lich_king2

Zeusoft's Chief.
I know that MyBB has positive feedback but excuse me for not being updated to the topic, what's funny is that when user asks for plugin request or how he could accomplish something you people point them(him) to mybbcentral. Actually it's rare that some of staff even check other forums unless the plugin author submits it to mybb mods. You know a handy Sticky telling people which sign is for free and which is for payed plugin would be nice. Oh and as i said in my reply above, if you all mention mybbcentral so much it would be only fair to include the guy in the credits. His after all best mybb plugin maker? There is not better then free marketing. Isn't it?:whistle:

Greg

TAZ Rookie
FOSS generally works along the lines of something called a meritocracy. It's not commercial, at least not initially. The source code is there, so do what you will to it. It's then encouraged that you share what you did, so others can take advantage of it, and do what they will to it. Those who contribute are more respected, because they did something.

When you look at a number of FOSS projects, however, you'll find a corporate backing. My favorite example is WINE and Codeweavers. WINE allows Windows programs to be run on Linux. It's OSS. Codeweavers does the same thing. It's proprietary software that builds on top of WINE, adding more functionality. But they charge for it. Thieves! Except Codeweavers contributes code upstream to add functionality back into WINE. Without Codeweavers, WINE wouldn't be where it is today.

There are numerous examples of a corporate spin on open source software. Let's face it, we live in a world that revolves around money. This symbiotic relationship is not one of parasitism, but most often that of mutualism, and in the worst case, commensalism. Before you criticize the code someone else spent time writing, ask yourself a few questions. What makes it evil? How does this negatively affect my life? What have I done that gives me the right to talk?

Charging money for an independently developed plugin does not hurt MyBB. The fact that the money charged tracks upstream is a positive for MyBB. The fact that people have an option, that they have CHOICE (something that is necessary for freedom) helps the software. Let's say that the plugins never existed. How does that help anyone?

"Oh and when you want to quit with Jesse Labrocca be sure to release these (his)plugins to public..."

And did I seriously see someone say that in this thread? A call to drive a programmer from writing plug-ins, and then steal his work from him?

If your ideals tell you not to use something, that's fine. I think that Microsoft as a company is evil. So I try to avoid using their products. I've let my opinion be known- they're monopolistic and restricting, and their methods of targeting competitors are vicious. What I won't question is their right to make a product and charge for it.

Lich_king2

Zeusoft's Chief.
True on that for Microsoft but let's put you in the skin of mybb user and not in the skin of Vbulletin which is however payed product that has more plugins. You would see why this topic of commercial plugins is important.

Greg

TAZ Rookie
I have been a MyBB user before. The point is moot, however.

With MyBB, there are times when there's a free plugin, time when there's a paid plugin, and time when there is no plugin for whatever you need.

If you need a feature...
-Download the free plugin (if available)
-Pay for a premium one (if available)
-Code it yourself
-Deal

If the paid plugins all went away, then...
-Download the free plugin (if available)
-Code it yourself
-Deal

For people that need a feature, cannot code, and cannot find a free plugin, paying is a good choice. Often, paying for a premium plugin is less expensive than the time it would take to learn how to make it yourself. Those who don't wish to pay wont. Without premium plugins, nothing improves.

Ryan Gordon

Ex-MyBB Lead Developer
Oh and as i said in my reply above, if you all mention mybbcentral so much it would be only fair to include the guy in the credits. His after all best mybb plugin maker? There is not better then free marketing. Isn't it?:whistle:
No. MyBB Staff are only mentioned in the MyBB Credits. I never said he was the best MyBB plugin maker and I never said that paid plugins are always better then free plugins.

Lich_king2

Zeusoft's Chief.
If people start trying to convert other forum plugins for MyBB that would be on the one side good and on the other side bad.(because of creativity, sure you can take one from phpbb and then recode it for mybb but where is the originality). As it's also immoral.

Greg

TAZ Rookie
You generally don't make a forum plugin to be creative, you do it to fill a need. When you port plugin concepts from other forum software, you're not doing anything immoral, you're simply writing code that has the same functionality as some other code, but works on a different platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.