My Turn - AMA

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
Ok, my turn - Ask me anything.

No guarantees I'll answer but -- :)

haqzore

Devotee
Would you have done anything differently with your own sites if you could have known, years in advance, the impact social media would have on forums?

If so, what?

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
Would you have done anything differently with your own sites if you could have known, years in advance, the impact social media would have on forums?

If so, what?

Not really, no. As far as I can tell, social media only significantly affected one of my sites. At the same time, it has helped others so, something of a wash. But my sites are unique in that the demographic doesn't like technology too much. (classic cars = older men)

Matthew S

Adherent
I don't know much of your background, so this may already be known among others here...

Have you started a forum from scratch that ultimately became revenue positive? If so, how long did it take, and do you still own it?

Your signature says you buy forums: how many do you have now (happy with numbers like 10-20 etc if you don't want to be specific)?

How many staff (volunteer and paid) do you have?

:)

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
Have you started a forum from scratch that ultimately became revenue positive? If so, how long did it take, and do you still own it?

Yes, and I still own them. I've had a few fail also. Revenue positive is a pretty low standard, as costs when your getting started are pretty low. Took me about 6 months to start earning decent money. Not enough to live on back then but nothing to sneeze at either.

How many staff (volunteer and paid) do you have?

about a dozen people between paid and unpaid.

Your signature says you buy forums: how many do you have now

more then 10 is all I'll say.

Apple

Enthusiast
(This thread is way too serious!)

What two totally normal things become extremely weird if you do them back to back?

Which member of the forum would you most want to meet and why? ...least want to meet and why?

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
(This thread is way too serious!)

I prefer it that way

Which member of the forum would you most want to meet and why? ...least want to meet and why?

I don't really have such preferences. (I have met several over the years) Any opportunity to discuss, exchange ideas and learn from someone else would be great

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Joeychgo

Have you ever met members from your forums in real life? If so, how did it go and would you do it again?

zappaDPJ

I believe you migrated a number of forums from vBulletin to Xenforo. What was the reaction from your users and do you have any regrets?

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
I believe you migrated a number of forums from vBulletin to Xenforo. What was the reaction from your users and do you have any regrets?

Yes, all my sites have been migrated over.

No regrets. Overall Xenforo was a good choice.

Reaction at first was mixed. Some members saw the benefits right away, others it took awhile. Mostly general dislike of change. I don't think anyone has complained they missed some feature the old software had. I went to great pains to get the most active members accustomed to the new software so they could help the others once the switch was made. Worked out well overall but was a lot of work.

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
What forum that you no longer own do you miss the most? Which forum that you never owned and no longer visit do you miss the most?