My MyBB Mod - MyBB Multiforums

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMR777

Enthusiast
Hello All,

I just wanted to get some feedback on a mod I have made for MyBB. The mod is a Multiforums Script for MyBB. It lets you host multiple MyBB forums with one set of files and start a MyBB forum host service.

Features include:

• Host Multiple MyBB forums with one set of files
  • Admin CP where you can view, delete, email and administrate forums
  • Easy to install and use

You can view a demo of the sign-up process here.

For more information on the script, or to download, see the official site here.

If you are interested in this, give it a try and let me know what you think.

BMR777

Ryan Gordon

Ex-MyBB Lead Developer
I've seen your script around and I think you've got a good basic multi forum script.

However, there are some things you should consider (with my previous experiences with createmybb):
1) Plugins - A proper way to allow them to be installed and used (obviously, only certain ones would be allowed) - You could probably stock some plugins by default and with MyBB 1.4, you could take the version check capabilities and extend it to notify you of any plugins with updates so you could update them.

2) Upgrading - This is a major issue CreateMyBB faced. I would suggest looking into the curl functions to automate the upgrade process (i.e. from 1.2 -> 1.4). Basically, curl acts as the client and you can automatically go through the steps of the upgrade process for all the boards or writing your own upgrade script that calls on and runs the upgrade scripts and updates the themes, etc, etc.

If not then you should make it clear with your script that upgrades will have to be taken care by the person who runs the multiforums script and should probably make users away that data could be lost during large upgrades (because its just way too much to update 1,000 forums correctly. Many, Many things could go wrong. Especially when you think about plugins, etc. You would have to wait for all the plugins to be updated before you could upgrade.)

3) Databases. Another problem at CreateMyBB was that there were several thousand forums setup on 1 database which would cause phpMyAdmin to crash, and overall slow down the performance (About 80,000 tables). It would be a good idea to create a new database with your script (if permissions allow) every 1000 forums or so.

BMR777

Enthusiast
Thanks for the comments Tikitiki. I am currently looking into plugins to see how I could implement them into a multiforum environment safely.

Also, as far as updates go, I am currently researching possible ways of updating all of the forums at once. I will look into curl and see what my options are there. I am also not sure at this point if I will support a MyBB 1.2 > 1.4 conversion. It might be like with multiforum scripts when PHPBB went from PHPBB2 to PHPBB3, there were no converters made. Once I see the MyBB 1.4 code I can better determine if I can code an upgrade script. I am also working on an upgrade script for new releases in the 1.2.X line.

Databases are also a big concern for me. I am planning on releasing a forum prune feature in a future release so that forum admins can easily remove forums without many posts thus freeing up database space. Also, the script certainly isn't meant to host thousands of forums at this point. I recommend that once a large number of active forums are on one database that the script be installed to another directory and you have two instances of the script running in two separate folders. I will certainly look into the feasibility of multiple databases as the script progresses.

BMR777

ZiNgABuRgA

Enthusiast
You can just ask admins to create a special DB account which can create databases, and when the number of forums reaches around 1000 (exact numbers are really not that important), create a second DB connection and create the database.
Your script will have to be able to handle different DB configs for each forum though.

Nonetheless, good luck and good script :)

BMR777

Enthusiast
Thanks ZingaBurga, the hard part will be having the script determine which database a forum is on. I will have to really look into this as well as see how other multiforums scripts handle multiple databases.

BMR777

Ryan Gordon

Ex-MyBB Lead Developer
You could setup a cache of forums in a file on the db

Array (
[db1] => Array(
site1,
site2,
site3
)
[db2] => Array(
site4,
site5,
site6
)
);

And just append as necessary. It could be apt to corruption so maybe a central database with that or backups of the files.

Once you build the array you just serialize/unserialize as necessary.

ZiNgABuRgA

Enthusiast
Thanks ZingaBurga, the hard part will be having the script determine which database a forum is on. I will have to really look into this as well as see how other multiforums scripts handle multiple databases.

BMR777
Well, since your script obviously already deals with multiple table prefixes, think about leveraging that to handle multiple DBs.

Tikitiki's method will work fine.

My personal preference would be to have a folder where the config.php files for each forum will be stored, then your script will just read the appropriate config.php file for the DB details (instead of the default /inc/config.php). And you should always keep a 2nd copy of all the details in the DB as well =P

Good luck!

Jsnyder

Neophyte
As To Your MyBB Multi-Forums Script is there any way to let them create forums in a sub-directory instead of a sub-domain??? this is really important if not do you think you could make a small edit to allow it

Status
Not open for further replies.