MUST-HAVE Linux programs?

Andrew K

Aspirant
What programs would you not be able to live without on your Linux DESKTOP (not server :p) installation? What are some of the first programs that you install on your Linux installation? For me, I have to install Chrome, Audacity, LibreOffice (if not already installed), Thunderbird, VLC, Filezilla, My-Weather-Indicator, and Geany. What are yours? ;)

Thanks for PoetJC for the idea. See his thread for Windows here: https://theadminzone.com/threads/what-are-your-must-have-windows-programs-apps.138993/

Matthew S

Adherent
First things that get installed are my productivity apps: bash, vim, and openssh

I also generally install the entire KDE suite, plus Iceweasel and Icedove.

Snog

Enthusiast
In addition to what you listed, Gimp, Tiny Media Manager (for movie management on my HTPC) and VM Virtual Box (for the occasional Windows program I have to run or any other operating system I choose), then Meld and Eclipse for programming purposes.

Paul M

Limeade Addict
First thing I install is htop - its just better than top.

ColinD

Enthusiast
Some from the above, but also: git, fish shell, terminator[ tabbed/split terminal], chromium, firefox, chrome, virtualbox, sublime3, atom, trying to break the habit and get down to spacemacs full time... thunar(files) that gets me started on most things.

Then ruby, elixir, go, docker, mysqlworkbench, pgadmin, git kraken (new testing) and that's me for the most part, after that anything environment polluting is in a vm, or container.

If a laptop then power util TLP.