Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
I recently got back into the forum business :D

I have a XF 2.2 forum installed.

I of course have Media and Resources... but also looking for ideas for other good addons as I've been so out of the game for a while. Help an old forumer out here haha by telling me your must have addons for 2.2 (free or paid)! :)

mysiteguy

Fanatic
1. Soropu Ads if you run any ads. It allows advertisers to sign up automatically, pay for and place their own ads.

2. Bob's UBS if you want blogs, at xenaddons.com

3. S9E Media Pack. Supports dozens of media site embed bb codes automatically. You know how Xenforo auto embeds Youtube? This does that for just about any major media and news site out there.

There are many more depending on site needs that I'd recommend.

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
If you have good size userbase and need to send warnings on a regular basis, all of Xon's add-ons relating to Warnings and Reports are useful. They add features that should honestly already be a part of XF.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
I'm guessing that it the AMS right? I didn't see anything about blogs. I think I remember using his addons a few years ago.

If you buy his premium version of AMS, you get access to a private section of his site and there you can buy all his products there, many of which you can't get on the main site. UBS is similar to, but not the same as, AMS.

The reason I don't say AMS (or Xenporta) is for the same reason I don't say XenPorta is a must have. With the new article type threads, you get "get by" with that if you have to. AMS and XenPorta are a "step up" from article type threads.

But for blogs, UBS organizes things in the way we traditionally think of blogs.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Beside's what been mentioned I highly recommend a number of Xon's addons for tweaking things.

Naturally Threadloom's Newsletter is a natural fit for a curated newsletter.

Just installed the TL search and newsletter. Looking forward to playing with it :) I got to say, they have a very generous free version and the pricing after that isn't bad at all.

DigNap15

Habitué
I use a few of AndyB's add-is
Ignore lIst is a good one, its prints a list of which members are on peoples ignore list so you can see who is causing the most trouble!

thenashy

Aspirant
[Andrew] Moderator Panel
[Liam W] Mentions Mini Avatar
[OzzModz] Show Pagination on Mobile Devices
[TH] Nodes
[XTR] Featured Thread Slider
Siropu Ads Manager
Siropu Easy User Ban
Moydow Disable Censor
Xenaddons Pickem (Sports Tipping)
s9e MediaSites
Tapatalk
Xon Warning Ackowledement
Zon Warning Improvements
Zon Thread Reply Banner

These were out must haves when we moved from 1.X. We have a few other small ones, and some custom made ones. The past few releases have thankfully reduced our need for a lot more addons.

mazzly

Neophyte
  • Antispam by CleanTalk - to filter out bunch of profile spam users looking for profile links
  • [cXF] Remove Location, Website and About you field - Same as above
  • Known Bots - More relevant members online statistics
  • Post Content Find / Replace - If you have migrated boards and need to remove repeated bad content.
  • Shoutbox by Siropu - Engage your community if it is a smaller board
  • Threadloom - Newsletter for engaging your user base
  • AMPXF - Accelerated Mobile Pages for SEO benefits
  • XFES - Lower your bounce rate and get visitors to stay longer on your site.
  • VaultWiki - Very useful wiki with auto-linking features and other nice things

sanction9

Adherent
Proving that XF could have included this first feature in the core, but instead chose to tack it on to an addon that many can't afford to use (sorry, had to get that off my chest):

1.) Similar Threads

& there's this free one:

(I prefer the one by Andy because of a couple extra options & because the second addon also searches post content, making for poor results if you mainly care for title matches, but your needs might be different.)

Your members will grow to love this feature.

2.) Multi-Prefix by Xon

I imagine it would be helpful for just about any content, but maybe some more than others. If you focus on music or books, as just a couple of examples, and wanted some way to identify content by genre, and didn't want to have to depend on members using (consistently) tags, or don't want to create a hundred nodes/subnodes, this is invaluable.

3.) Speaking of tags, Tag Essentials will make the whole tags system much improved:

4.) Content Ratings by Xon

Much like Tag Essentials (also developed by Xon), will take the core reactions system to the next level. Your users will definitely enjoy it.

5.) Chat 2 by Siropu

If you need need a chat option, this is the best one, in my opinion.

6.) s9e Media Sites 2.6.19

If you want to share a lot of video content from various sites:

There's several other addon's I use and consider pretty great, but I'll stop here. These are the ones that I absolutely could not do without, or would not want to. Obviously, what will be "must-have addon's" for you will depend largely on your own personal needs.

Last edited:

Overscan

Aspirant
Here's what I have. I found Elasticsearch addon was essential to make my forum search work as expected. All the rest are free and most are by Xon.

[Andrew] Moderator Panel
Moderator panel with reporting and user insights
Developer: Andrew Simmons

[Mr. Jinx] Forum index tweak
Add extra options to hide the avatar and threads/messages stats column from the forum list.
Developer: Mr. Jinx FAQ Support

[OzzModz] Gif Avatar Permissions
Developer: Ozzy47 Support

Contact Us Thread
Creates a thread when the Contact Us form is used
Developer: Xon Support

Conversation Improvements
Enables conversation searching, message edit history, and more.
Developer: Atelier Aphelion Support

Custom 404 Page
Customize your 404 error page, keep track of missing URLs and redirect them to new pages.
Developer: Siropu
Daily Statistics

Daily Statistics
Extended Statistics for your forum

Known Bots
Adds additional definitions for bot detection in sessions
Developer: Simon Hampel FAQ Support Git Repository Twitter

Lazy Image Loader
Load less.
Nested Quotes

Nested Quotes
Allows quotes to be nested more than one level deep.
Developer: NixFifty Support
Post Content Find / Replace

Post Content Find / Replace
Allows an administrator to do a regular expression find and replace in the content of all posts.
Developer: XenForo Ltd.

Redis Cache
XenForo + Redis

Search Improvements
Minor search improvements

User Activity
Displays user activity viewing content
Developer: Xon Supporta

Warning Improvements
A (large) collection of improvements to XF's warning system.
XenForo Enhanced Search

XenForo Enhanced Search
An enhanced version of the XenForo search system, allowing higher quality results and faster searching for bigger installations.
Developer: XenForo Ltd. FAQ Support

rhody401

Aspirant
I use a lot of the add ons from the XF2 (Andy B) collection, as well as Ads Manager and Chat from Siropu, some from Xon, S9E, etc.

I have multiple forums, and the list below is for one that turned 25 years old a few days ago. You can hover over the links to see the source of the product.

TitleVersionStatusNoteActionAction
Advanced search3.1Up to date
Approval queue email1.1Up to date
Approval queue lite1.4Up to date
Ban thread2.0Up to date
Birthday email1.5Up to date
Broken links1.5Up to date
Classified forums1.3Up to date
Countdown2.8Up to date
Country registration check1.9Up to date
Development mode options1.0Up to date
Easy search1.8Up to date