Morality Check - Starting a business?

sactown

Aspirant
- I can see being uncomfortable, and I can see doing it during work time.. That would be bad. I can also see how the dynamic would be wrong too.. so I get that.

I think you’re absolutely correct here.

- I wish he would have told me prior to be dumping money and time off hours to do this, when I had asked him.

- I'm not going to pursue it, I found another venture I'm interested in but now I do not have the capital. In terms of my non-compete however.. I can't post the exact clause here but it WOULD allow me to work here as it's literally not their market. It wouldn't be competition in any sense.

Again, that being said. I'm moving on.

Yes, it would have been best if you hammered out all the working relationship details prior to forking out money that now seems for nothing. It’s possible your boss didn’t initially fully understand the idea and its implications to his own franchise territorial contracts, I say that because it took me multiple passes to understand it, and I’ve worked in the printing/graphics industry for decades.

Consider it a life lesson. I’ve had a few hard lessons learned in life so not judging you here, just saying don’t let it get you down, extract every bit of learning you can from it and get busy on the next thing. This was a waste only if you make the same errors again.

Kyrie

Habitué
I think you’re absolutely correct here.

Yes, it would have been best if you hammered out all the working relationship details prior to forking out money that now seems for nothing. It’s possible your boss didn’t initially fully understand the idea and its implications to his own franchise territorial contracts, I say that because it took me multiple passes to understand it, and I’ve worked in the printing/graphics industry for decades.

Consider it a life lesson. I’ve had a few hard lessons learned in life so not judging you here, just saying don’t let it get you down, extract every bit of learning you can from it and get busy on the next thing. This was a waste only if you make the same errors again.

Thanks, the reason I brought up the fact he cannot sell in my market at all is because in my mind, that means there is NO way I'd be stealing ANY customers. I'd be adding just in a round-about way. But, I talked to him further and it turns out being an employee if I was caught selling I'd be in trouble.. well not me, but the owner of the company I work for.