Moons Orbital decline or moving away

Posted March 2021

Another opinion posted on BBC Feb. 2011

• Haha
Reactions: FTL

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
And as I observed, we’ll all be long dead before any of this happens anyway. I’m even fairly certain no human will be alive to observe this even from a distance because the literal millions of years away this all is… humanity will have evolved (or wiped itself out)

I am fascinated how flared tempers got on the subject though. Especially given that both articles can be right, and both could be rendered utterly irrelevant by future events, especially if humanity ever goes and colonises the moon.

Hell, imagine if humanity got bored one day and strapped a big ol’ rocket on the back of that thing and decided to go for a test drive. I’m half imagining that, like, Musk’s great-great-grandchildren who will have more wealth than the rest of humanity combined will just decide to do it because why not and it’s the sort of crazy idea great-great-grandpappy Elon would have.

rafalp

Desu Ex
We are living in last 5% of time that Earth will be able to support life. Sun is constantly growing and increasing its luminosity. In 250-300 milion years it will be too hot for multicellular organisms to maintain bonds between cells, and in 800 milion years earth will be too hot for earth to sustain water in atmosphere. Sun entering red giant phase is 1.5 billion years after that. Earth will be barren rock like how Mercury is today by time that happens.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
The moon's a harsh mistress, according to Joe Cocker. But since global warming predictions have us mostly starved out of existence in the next fifty to a hundred years, I don't think we'll find out which direction our little friend ends up going. The age of the cockroach is fast approaching.

Nebulous

Hakuna Matata
We are living in last 5% of time that Earth will be able to support life. Sun is constantly growing and increasing its luminosity. In 250-300 milion years it will be too hot for multicellular organisms to maintain bonds between cells, and in 800 milion years earth will be too hot for earth to sustain water in atmosphere. Sun entering red giant phase is 1.5 billion years after that. Earth will be barren rock like how Mercury is today by time that happens.
Good thing we'll be dead by then!

FTL

Adherent
The important thing to understand is that the moon will be moving away from earth for the next 5 billion years or so. After that things are not so clear, but it might start to spiral back in. Therefore, from our perspective, the moon has always been spiralling away from earth since long before humans evolved and will continue to do so into the far, far future. This is fact, not opinion.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Its moving away about a few cm a year, this is also something that is natural. What they can’t predict is what will happen after break away if it will go back to Earth or fly free into space. But hope that there would be no life on Earth when this happens, collapse back well that would be a bad day. No moon and the Earth’s 23,5 degree will have issues we will wobble and not how its now.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
Please, no one mention any of this to a flat earther. They still can’t process the concept of the earth spinning at 1000mph (linear surface velocity at the equator). All this about the moon moving away would do their heads in completely.

FTL

Adherent
Please, no one mention any of this to a flat earther. They still can’t process the concept of the earth spinning at 1000mph (linear surface velocity at the equator). All this about the moon moving away would do their heads in completely.
lol how to destroy a flat earther. :ROFLMAO: Totally gonna do it...

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
There is a meme image kicking around from the 'Flat Earth Society' page on Facebook, saying that it has 'members all around the globe' and a comment saying 'Say that again, only slower' :D

Sadly could not find evidence of original post being real, but I hope it was. All the current pictures are JPEG blurry monster messes.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Because they think its the same thing as a baseball spinning 1000mph, but they cant figure out size.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
There is a meme image kicking around from the 'Flat Earth Society' page on Facebook, saying that it has 'members all around the globe' and a comment saying 'Say that again, only slower' :D

Sadly could not find evidence of original post being real, but I hope it was. All the current pictures are JPEG blurry monster messes.
If I remember correctly, that original post was done as a joke. What's more funny, is that it has become more famous than the Flat Earth Society.

FTL

Adherent
Because they think its the same thing as a baseball spinning 1000mph, but they cant figure out size.
That reminds me of a ridiculous flat earth video done by some college student.

He "proved" that the earth must be flat, or the seas would fly off if it was a spinning ball. He did that by dipping an orange (yes, the actual fruit) in water, ensuring it was dripping wet, holding it betwen thumb and forefinger and then spinning it violently and rapidly. Hey presto the water flew off and the earth is flat!

Totally convincing. Totally.

I did consider that it was actually satire, but looking at the full context like the channel it was on and the other videos on there and the way this video was conducted, I think he really meant it.

Last edited:

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
Flat earthers don't believe in gravity. Or at least, they believe that Einstein's General and Special Relativity negates all of Newton's physics, such as F=MA because gravity isn't a force. It's all down to relative density. I find it odd they accept Enstein's explanation of gravity as the curving of space-time when they also don't believe in space.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian

is a review of Moonfall but Bevky is using real science to see if it real. Fun is that she shows how much the moon is getting away per year and what will happen if the moon gets to close to earth.

Reactions: FTL

FTL

Adherent
we_are_borg

Oh gawd, I watched that movie on TV the other day. It was the most enjoyable leave-your-brain-at-the-door scientific bunk I'd seen in a long time. Facepalms came thick and fast at some points. :ROFLMAO:

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
I still need to watch the movie, bit its something for a rainy day and leave your brain somewhere else.