Mom Cannot Log in on Her Computer

Amaury

Habitué
She inputs her password and the Welcome text shows for a short while before this shows: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded."

I found this support resolution, but that doesn't seem to help us, as she can't even log in. She's got pretty much everything backed up, so I don't think it's too big of a deal, but is she screwed or can it be fixed?

Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but when she shut down her computer at lunch, Firefox was taking a while, so she clicked on Force Shutdown, but I don't think that could have caused it.

Deathstarr

Forum Owner
have you tied to start it in safe mode. If not try that before re doing the computer.

That should not have effected it. But You could try to boot from a disk and see if that would fix it.

Amaury

Habitué
She resolved it.

She pressed F8 during boot-up and performed a system restore. I do wonder, though, what could have caused it. There was a Windows update, but I installed it and shut down my computer for it with no problems. (Tracy Perry?)

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Without being able to put my grubby little paws on it I couldn't tell you for sure. I've had a Windows "update" sometimes cause issues - especially in an interaction with other programs loaded on the system. I've also had issues with Windows updates causing problems with a few of the Dells because their bios had not been updated (as well as some of the system drivers).