Moderator requests deletion of 7000 posts

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Another reason to insist on 'roles' rather than staff positions and ranks. Its a lot easier to assign different roles (even symbolic) compared to demoting, firing. Hierarchical rank grants an authority thats difficult to remove without hurt feelings and former friends turning into sworn foes.

rhianna

Aspirant
Another reason to insist on 'roles' rather than staff positions and ranks. Its a lot easier to assign different roles (even symbolic) compared to demoting, firing. Hierarchical rank grants an authority thats difficult to remove without hurt feelings and former friends turning into sworn foes.
Yes, that's what happened on my forum. My vision for the forum versus the moderators' drifted apart. I wanted a forum less regulated, the mods wanted it heavily regulated. It was really difficult to make a change which basically meant demoting and firing. There were loads of hurt feelings and lost trust in me. And I felt bullied by the mods for standing by what I believed was best for the forum in regards to deleting posts.

rhianna

Aspirant
Any context behind those aims? Like, was there insufficient activity, too many troublemakers?
Posting was going down. Some posters were protesting of being overly moderated. The moderators started to hold grudges against some posters, they were IMO overpolicing the site while no longer participating actively in it. They were good moderators for quite some years, but as I became more relaxed about moderating they became more stringent. Thus the clash.

Reactions: FTL

FTL

Adherent
Posting was going down. Some posters were protesting of being overly moderated. The moderators started to hold grudges against some posters, they were IMO overpolicing the site while no longer participating actively in it. They were good moderators for quite some years, but as I became more relaxed about moderating they became more stringent. Thus the clash.
I know the trend: they morph into power mad jackbooted little hitlers - basically bullies. Having personal experience of being on the receiving end of this, I can tell you it feels horrible and put me off participating in the forum for years. It can also be the death knell of a forum as people start avoiding it in droves. Looks like that process had started on yours.

You were totally right to clamp down on this.

One typical line of bullying is to getting heavy with anyone who isn't keeping strictly "on topic" for the thread. That's just a pretext for bullying, since everyone knows that human conversations naturally meander all over the place. Heck, on my forum, I drag threads "off topic" all the time, usually my own! :LOL: I also let my members do the same as it's a natural consequence of the conversation and just helps the conversation to flow, which is what the forum is all about in the first place. If someone then wants to say something related to the first post, then they still can and people will respond in kind.

I can imagine how staying on topic would be more important for a science research forum say, discussing ongoing research. That's a formal business based environment, so idle chit chat should be minimised, but not on a regular forum.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Its easy for nice staff to grow desillusioned or stricter on certain subjects, seems to come with age. Its not as much of an issue with younger/newer 'hires' since theyre still passionate and arent dragging a decade's worth of unfun thankless responsibility noone's around to carry with them they feel comfortable leaving the reins to.

Everyone needs to hang their badge someday, even if its just to continue enjoying the community and niche subject as members freed from burden.