Moderator requests deletion of 7000 posts

rhianna

Aspirant
My moderators and I no longer share the same vision for the forum, so we have decided to part ways. One of my moderators requests to have her 7000 posts in the moderator discussion section permanently deleted because she has splattered in personal information here and there talking about her everyday life. I am reluctant to grant this request as I generally don't permanently delete posts upon request. It leaves holes in the discussions and also makes post count go down. What would you have done?

Matt M

Developer
If the posts are in a private forum, and there is a risk of escalation for non-compliance, then I'd just honour the request.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I would do likewise. However I would ensure your moderator is fully aware that it's a non-reversible procedure and that their only forum access will be that of an unregistered guest.

FTL

Adherent
As she won't be able to access that forum anyway anymore, what does it matter? People that have access to the private areas have agreed to confidentiality rules, right?

I'd refuse it in the first place for the reasons you mentioned and perhaps add in a few more if you can. Let her push for it and push back if she insists. I doubt she's gonna go all the way with a complaint. I'd certainly not roll over for someone.

Square Wheels

Aspirant
I have not been challenged on this, and suspect it's not legally true, but I have this at the bottom of one of my terms and rules pages.
"User accounts will not be deleted, all content once posted becomes the property of this site (unless otherwise copyrighted). "

FTL

Adherent
I have not been challenged on this, and suspect it's not legally true, but I have this at the bottom of one of my terms and rules pages.
"User accounts will not be deleted, all content once posted becomes the property of this site (unless otherwise copyrighted). "
Are you in the EU? I think you could still use it (and I quite like it) but if someone ever got really motivated about it, they might be able to make your life difficult with the GDPR.

rhianna

Aspirant
She is worried of hackers or new moderators in the future. New moderators will not see the threads. I've told her I'll archive the entire mod section and for now I am not taking on any new moderators anyway. I never delete posts. I do delete personal information such as user names and email addresses. But she thought she had special rights as a moderator and could post TMI and then ask to have it deleted. Most of the posts are work related but as I said there is private details splattered here and there. No personally identifying information though.

rhianna

Aspirant
Yes, the only ones who will have access to her posts are my husband and I, the forum owners.

Nabix

Can't you just delete them and then increase your board's post count by 7000+? If they are in a private forum and general users don't have access to them, then there isn't an issue.

rhianna

Aspirant
Can't you just delete them and then increase your board's post count by 7000+? If they are in a private forum and general users don't have access to them, then there isn't an issue.
How do I increase the post count without posts? Don't I have to keep doing that forever then after every time I've had the software recount the posts?

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
The only posts you are required to delete are the ones with personally identifying information in them, as per GDPR.

The *quickest* route is obviously to just delete every post. But from a “not messing the board up” standpoint you can review all the posts and remove or censor the personal details from them, as long as you do this in a reasonable time (ideally less than 30 days from the request)

Square Wheels

Aspirant
Are you in the EU? I think you could still use it (and I quite like it) but if someone ever got really motivated about it, they might be able to make your life difficult with the GDPR.
US
I've had a few people storm out and insist I delete their accounts. I refuse, they stomp away and usually return in a few months.

FTL

Adherent
US
I've had a few people storm out and insist I delete their accounts. I refuse, they stomp away and usually return in a few months.
US, glad for you. No GDPR and you haven't got Russia starting war on your doorstep.

You can always block them from logging back in, problem solved lol.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
I would not do it, and even if GDPR or California's law applied, it's not required under either. Have her send over a list of which posts contain personally identifying information, and remove those only. I would not allow a user to disrupt the flow of conversation in every thread they posted in - it can be very disruptive.

we_are_borg

Administrator
I would do GDPR deletion even if US based, but the user made here own choice when disclosing private information and GDPR excludes that. Also this can’t be undone when the user ask.

rhianna

Aspirant
English is not my first language, so I don't know if I used too strong words. When she wouldn't accept a "No" or rather an "I'm considering it but I don't like it", and I told her I felt she was "abusing her mod position" by continuously pushing for it, she blew up at the word "abusing". No other poster would have been allowed to go on pushing like she was and also, by the way, accusing me as an admin of breaking protocol in other instances. I guess I feel bad about it ending this way and am wondering if I was too harsh.

Reactions: FTL

FTL

Adherent
No, I don't think you were being too harsh at all. She's just being unreasonable, especially with those accusations.

On top of that, she's an ex-mod, as in used to be, so no longer has any special privileges. She's in no position to dictate to you. Don't delete those posts. Think, it's not like they're viewable by the public, anyway.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
That's a lot of posts to delete so I can see why you're hesitant. If you have time and the patience why not just browse through the moderators posts and delete the ones with that has personal information on it and leave the rest? Big task I know but still doable.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
If you have time and the patience why not just browse through the moderators posts and delete the ones with that has personal information on it and leave the rest?
There's a better way which is in accordance with GDPR :)

GDPR (ico.) states the following: How do I ask for my data to be deleted? You should contact the organisation and let them know what personal data you want them to erase.

As I said earlier I would honour the request and that is the correct way to do it.

AdamD

Devotee
Yea, I would ask them what personal data is it that needs removing, then you could just search for specific words, using their username to find the posts, then delete.
I would run the search across all forums, not just the staff ones, to be sure.