Migrating Joomla and Vanilla data to IPS

BarneyLongden

Participant
My site (www.ballofspray.com ) is Joomla with an embedded Vanilla forum. Since Google implemented Core Web Vitals as part of site rankings my traffic has steadily declined. To achieve a better Core Web Vitals score & recover my traffic I am considering migrating all Joomla and Vanilla data to IPS.

I am looking for a consultant to evaluate and estimate the project. Anyone interested? Anyone know a guy? Anyone think this is a terrible idea?

CharlesW

Developer
We can handle that conversion in-house if you like. You can contact our sales or PM me here for an estimate or to schedule a Zoom call.

Joel R

Habitué
My site (www.ballofspray.com ) is Joomla with an embedded Vanilla forum. Since Google implemented Core Web Vitals as part of site rankings my traffic has steadily declined. To achieve a better Core Web Vitals score & recover my traffic I am considering migrating all Joomla and Vanilla data to IPS.

I am looking for a consultant to evaluate and estimate the project. Anyone interested? Anyone know a guy? Anyone think this is a terrible idea?
1. Check here for third-party services: https://invisioncommunity.com/third-party/providers/

2. I don't think migrating to a new platform is going to change the fundamentals of your score.

GrantHorizons

Neophyte
Hate to hijack this thread but it's roughly relevant - CharlesW, tried to PM you but apparently I need 10 posts - which seems excessive - to PM.
I have a much more complicated move to make, please PM so we can set up a Zoom or Skype call.
Also a question I can't find an answer to anywhere is: "Where is your data stored?"
thanks, Grant

GrantHorizons

Neophyte
Hate to hijack this thread but it's roughly relevant - CharlesW, tried to PM you but apparently I need 10 posts - which seems excessive - to PM.
I have a much more complicated move to make, please PM so we can set up a Zoom or Skype call.
Also a question I can't find an answer to anywhere is: "Where is your data stored?"
thanks, Grant
Found it - of course just after I posted I couldn't find it - you host in US or EU. Good.

CharlesW

Developer
Yes we use AWS Paris region. We host a lot of big companies in the EU and even some UK government affiliated sites. So no issue with data privacy.

CharlesW

Developer
All I know is we host a lot of huge EU based corporations with legal teams far bigger than you or I have and they have no issues. So I don’t pretend to armchair lawyer their understanding of data laws.

dtdesign

WoltLab Developer
All I know is we host a lot of huge EU based corporations with legal teams far bigger than you or I have and they have no issues.
Honestly, I did not expect you to pull up a straw man.

The European Court of Justice has ruled twice in a row that both FISA and CLOUD Act conflict with the GDPR. If $threeLetterAgency orders, for example, AWS to hand out your customer’s data stored on server in the EU, they would most certainly try to object, but eventually would have to surrender the data. And because the 4th Amendment applies to US citizens only, they could do whatever they want with the data.

Can you guarantee your customers that the sensitive private data stored on their behalf (even things like email and IP address are considered sensitive in the GDPR) will not be handed out to a US government agency without them even knowing and/or being able to legally object?

CharlesW

Developer
I cannot say either way as I am not a legal expert. You may have done research the legal teams of our many EU clients have not. All I can say is that this is not a concern any of them have as shown by the fact that they use our services hosted in the EU without any issue.

rafalp

Desu Ex
All I know is we host a lot of huge EU based corporations with legal teams far bigger than you or I have and they have no issues.

Those huge EU based corporations are single data claim from US away from being raked by European Commission for liabilities. Google was, Facebook was, Apple was. You think it will be different for Lego/Bosch/whatever?

CharlesW

Developer
That's not really up to me to say. All clients need to establish their own internal rules and protocols. We work with them on data security, encryption, and the like of course to their own specifications. Basically they tell us what they want to do and we do it :)

tomk

Adherent
Can you guarantee your customers that the sensitive private data stored on their behalf (even things like email and IP address are considered sensitive in the GDPR) will not be handed out to a US government agency without them even knowing and/or being able to legally object?
No, they cannot.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
In my opinion if this was a valid argument against IPS, then AWS and every non-European company hosting in Europe would be out of business in the EU.

rafalp

Desu Ex
In my opinion if this was a valid argument against IPS, then AWS and every non-European company hosting in Europe would be out of business in the EU.
This is more complex than "legal or illegal" and boils down to different jurisdictions and different companies being able to afford or not different fines from European Commission. IPS business is not illegal per se, but opens them for litigation from angry europeans if poop hits the fan.

Last edited:

mysiteguy

Fanatic
This is more complex than "legal or illegal" and boils down to different jurisdictions
By definition, this is a legal issue.

and different companies being able to afford or not different fines from European Commission.
Is GDPR not enforced when violated because "they can't afford it"?

GDPR Article 49 1 e
Data transfer to another country is allowed if it's required for legal claims and processes.
“occasional and necessary in relation to a contract or a legal claim, regardless of whether in a judicial procedure or whether in an administrative or any out-of-court procedure, including procedures before regulatory bodies.”

So long as Invision isn't transferring data out of the EU without legal claims and/or processes,, and is honoring data removal requests from their clients, they are going to be good (generally). It's up to their clients to practice their own obligations under GDPR, and Invision isn't liable when they don't.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
I don't think it's so much as a "valid argument", but when one makes a blank disclaimer of when facts show otherwise, there IS an issue.

Isn't that assuming they aren't adhering to GDPR, with no facts to show they are? Guilty until proven innocent?