Migrated site to new server issue

Craigles700

Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 14, 2016
Messages
146
I have migrated a 3.8.4 site to a new server to prepare for upgrading to vb5 (I tried to stop them).

All seems to have gone well, but I cannot seem to get a full connection to the db. I can navigate the site, post in certain forums, but not read posts as when I do I get a db error message. I suspect this is a phantom as it's possible that the website is not configured properly to connect to this database as otherwise, I would see connection errors in the server logs.

What I do know is I had to change the name of the database, name of the db user and password when I set up the new db as the new host has a different way of naming these from what the original host did, plus the password was not secure enough so that too had to be enhanced. These changes were also made in the includes/config file.

Is my issue due to the credential changes from what is probably on the db backup I imported?

Need some pointers here.

Thanks.
 

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Joined
Aug 26, 2010
Messages
7,232
There's really not enough information to help diagnose the issue. More detail of the database error might help. From what you've posted it appears you can connect to the database so the renaming appears to be successful?

If you can post details of the database error someone might be able to point you in the right direction :)
 

Craigles700

Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 14, 2016
Messages
146
Sorry about that. I really didn't have much to go on when I posted this.

I have since resolved the issue. In an effort to be transparent, this is what happened;

I offered my assistance to a forum niche that is near and dear to me, hiking/backpacking. They were struggling because of the version of forum software, and php version limits.

I moved them to a different host that provides php 5.4 and up, so this met their temporary needs. Everything went well except what was described above, no error messages, just a default gui db error message with no identifying error. Long story short the technical email address in the config never had a custom email address programmed. Once I entered mine I quickly got an error message that identified a custom mod that was no longer working and needed to be disabled (Thanks to Trevor at vb.com for identifying this). Once that was disable the site returned to normal.

Invalid SQL:
SELECT * FROM post_thanks WHERE postid IN (0Array) ORDER BY username ASC;

MySQL Error : Unknown column '0Array' in 'where clause'

They know this is a temporary fix and sooner than later will need to move to a new forum software. But now they have a little time and are in a good spot. Hopefully I can entice them to move to xenforo.
 

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Joined
Aug 26, 2010
Messages
7,232
No need to be sorry, it's good to hear that you got the problem solved. Even better, posting details of how it was resolved might help others so thanks for taking the time to do that :)
 
Top