MicroSD Corrupt Files Recovery

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Hey folks,

I'm reaching out to you all because I know many of you, at least on here, from over the years.

I've ran into an issue.

Basically I was filming with my GoPro Hero 10 and my MicroSD card gave me the "SD ERR" error on the GoPro. Its a 256GB SanDisk card purchased from B & H Photo, the real thing not some Wish card.

So I took the card home and opened the GoPro file on my computer to reveal that no files exists. There should had been about 40 or 50 video files present. So here is what I tried in terms of recovering the files:
  1. Attempt to repair the card using CHKDSK - no luck
  2. Assigned the card a new Drive Letter - no luck
  3. Did the attrib -h -r -s /s /d X:\*.* command - no luck
  4. Used windows repair tool on the folder - no luck
Then I downloaded (and ended up paying for) Disk Drill, which is a software that claims it recovers most that is corrupted.

After 4 hours of deep scanning, I think I found my video files.

I transferred the recovered files from Disk Drill to my External Hard Drive and then tried to pay them on Windows Movie player with a Codec error: 0xc00d36c4
I then attempted to play it on Windows Media Player and got the same result.
I then downloaded VLC and attempted to play it there. It just acts like it loads and then does nothing with the construction cone on the screen.

Its a lot of video footage that I'd love to save if possible but nothing I'm willing to spend a lot of money saving. If it's going to end up costing me, I'll just count my losses.

My issue right now is that I've recovered the file but it appears Codec is missing based on the "0xc00d36c4" error I believe. Would anyone know how I could get that back and restore these files? Or am I probably just doomed?

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
I unfortunately lost my video footage. I did learn a lot of file recovery methods, though. So, at least I learned something.

I also made a new habit. Every time I am done filming for the day, the footage gets transferred to my external hard drives. I had let the footage build up on that 256 GB SD card because why not? Well, I found out, LOL.

Learn from my mistake, kids.

Chokkol

Aspirant
I unfortunately lost my video footage. I did learn a lot of file recovery methods, though. So, at least I learned something.

I also made a new habit. Every time I am done filming for the day, the footage gets transferred to my external hard drives. I had let the footage build up on that 256 GB SD card because why not? Well, I found out, LOL.

Learn from my mistake, kids.
Yes, I had a similar negative experience of data loss. So now I also make timely copies on several media.

Splinter2

Participant
I've used Easus Data Recovery Wizard on SD cards before with partial success - say 75%. One was an SD card from my wife's phone and I managed to get most of it recovered.
I paid for it because I repair PCs, so in that respect it's worth it. It's not cheap though at around $59 when I last looked, but there is a free version.

Chokkol

Aspirant
I've used Easus Data Recovery Wizard on SD cards before with partial success - say 75%. One was an SD card from my wife's phone and I managed to get most of it recovered.
I paid for it because I repair PCs, so in that respect it's worth it. It's not cheap though at around $59 when I last looked, but there is a free version.
Thank you for sharing your experience. At the moment, my friends have recommended Uneraser. I'm working with this software and I already have some results.