Meta Tags

phoenixdown21

The Man with the Plan
How useful are meta tags now a days and does it help to have more info or less in them when it comes to your forum settings?

Say for instance you had a car forum, would having every make and model of car in your meta tags help you or is there such a thing as over kill?

SkepticGuy

CEO, The Above Network
Search engines don't pay attention to keyword and description meta tags anymore.

but: Google and Inkotmi will read the description tag if no other "printable" text is found on a given page.

tekkitan

Forum Junkie
SkepticGuy said:
Search engines don't pay attention to keyword and description meta tags anymore.

but: Google and Inkotmi will read the description tag if no other "printable" text is found on a given page.
it's true most done anymore, but some still do. wouldnt hurt to have meta keywords for those that still do utilize them.

Kall

Devotee
And some won't accept your site if it is lacking them.

SkepticGuy

CEO, The Above Network
Kall said:
And some won't accept your site if it is lacking them.
This is the first I've heard of that. Which are those?

(Yahoo didn't accept sites at one point, but stopped that requirement sometime in 1999)

Kall

Devotee
SkepticGuy said:
This is the first I've heard of that. Which are those?

(Yahoo didn't accept sites at one point, but stopped that requirement sometime in 1999)
Aeiwi.com for one.

My hobby site was accepted, but not my hosting company...cos the second has no tags yet.

mojo

Habitué
This has also confused me. One place says they are important, another place will say they are not important. I think I would at least have them on my main page, with relevant keywords and descriptions, along with he revisit tag for the search bots, just to be safe.

It really takes no time to put them in, so it's not worth the risk of leaving them out for me.

SkepticGuy

CEO, The Above Network
Kall said:
Aeiwi.com for one.
Who uses "Aeiwi.com" and why?

With over 90% of all searches on Google, MSsearches, Yahoo, Lycos, or Altavista; and all of them ignoring meta tags... well... you do the math.

SkepticGuy

CEO, The Above Network
mojo said:
It really takes no time to put them in, so it's not worth the risk of leaving them out for me.
Except that Google has imposed a PR penalty when the keywords used are not relevant to the printable text it indexes.

Google and Yahoo are so important to your site's performance, it makes sense to be sure you're SEO strategy places priority on those two first.

GeorgeB.

SkepticGuy said:
Except that Google has imposed a PR penalty when the keywords used are not relevant to the printable text it indexes.
Just curious, is that another Google myth (they get funnier and funnier) or did you actually read that somewhere on an official Google website??

rex_b

Fanatic
Qwest said:
Just curious, is that another Google myth (they get funnier and funnier) or did you actually read that somewhere on an official Google website??

total myth I have seen nothing to indicate this on any seo forum.

but YAHOO does still use meta description tag in their search results as part of their algo.

SkepticGuy

CEO, The Above Network
Qwest said:
Fallout from the SearchKing fiasco... and pumping a few drinks into a Google engineer after Internet World. ;)

I've not confirmed that it is still in effect.

Ayrianth

Aspirant
Qwest said:
I just read their entire section on submitting a site and getting higher rankings. No where did it mention a penalty.

Purple

Adherent
It used to be that all search engines would pull Meta tag information and use it as part of their search results. Not only would your search engine listing include information from your title tag, but also below it would be a copy of your Meta description tag.

With this predictable structure, search engine marketers could manipulate the way their website listing was displayed in the search engine results by changing these tags.

In addition, the Meta description tag would have great importance when determining which position your website showed up in the search results. The number of keywords, their relevance and density within the description tag could be manipulated to help achieve the elusive #1 position on the search engine results.

When Google became the search engine of preference, it ushered in a new era of how search engine listings are displayed. Google chose not to use the Meta description tag and instead rely on the content contained within a website.

The biggest impact from this decision resulted in the Meta description having no significance whatsoever on where a website is positioned within Google’s results. A website owner could optimize their description tag to the highest degree, and it would have little effect on how their website was positioned in Google.

The other effect of choosing to ignore the description tag was that Google did not use this information as part of the website’s listing; instead formulating it’s own description using content extracted from the web page itself (only if there is very little page content will you see Google display the meta description).

When it became apparent that Google’s approach was successful, other search engines started following suit to the point that few search engines today spider and display the Meta description tag.

So with so many search engines choosing to ignore the description tag, why bother to optimize it? The answer is simple. It takes just a couple of minutes to optimize the meta tags on the web page you are building. While you may not influence the likes of Google, Yahoo, or AOL, there are plenty of smaller search engines that still spider the Meta description tag.

The largest of these is Inktomi, which was recently acquired by Yahoo. Although, Yahoo has not yet switched its search results to the Inktomi database, there are still many search engines that rely on Inktomi results. The biggest Inktomi audience comes from MSN’s web page results. The web page results at MSN come after featured sites, sponsored sites and web directory results but nonetheless they are there.

While you are unlikely to have your Inktomi listing displayed on MSN for generic terms such as “computers” or “Compaq” you should see traffic from MSN for longer, more specific terms such as “refurbished Compaq computers”. The more specific the term, the more likely that MSN will rely on the spidering technology of Inktomi to provide the search results.

With OneStat.com reporting that 45% of all searches are for phrases with three words or more, you can see that there is still a large audience to reach by optimizing your Meta description tag and targeting crawlers such as Inktomi.

Kall

Devotee
SkepticGuy said:
Who uses "Aeiwi.com" and why?

With over 90% of all searches on Google, MSsearches, Yahoo, Lycos, or Altavista; and all of them ignoring meta tags... well... you do the math.
*does the math*

Anyone without meta tags is losing out on 10% of the available market.

Hmm.

What exactly are you trying to say?

Clasione

Adherent
Google just started using metatags again today across the board...

Check your serps....

Don't know how long this will last though, I'm very surprised to see them being so predictable with anything...