Members/potential users constantly asking for promotions?

Keosan

Aspirant
Hey everyone, I currently have this one individual who keeps on bugging me about becoming an admin/moderator. I have tried telling him that we have enough already, its too much work and hes better just posting to contribute, he'd have to be more active but he won't take no for answer. He asks me at least 3-4 times when i see him online if not more. Hes fairly new to the community as well and our community is pretty small and its a gaming community. What have you all done with a similar bugging individual? What can i do here?

jekyll

Enthusiast
Introduce a new "Wannabe" user title.

Worked on another board where I was a member.

jekyll

Enthusiast
Something like that, but of course without any extra rights. So everyone can see he's trying to annoy you.
You can connect that to something like "we'll gladly remove your extra title when you stop annoying us"... :D

Keosan

Aspirant
Something like that, but of course without any extra rights. So everyone can see he's trying to annoy you.
You can connect that to something like "we'll gladly remove your extra title when you stop annoying us"... :D
I'll try it out and see what happens!

ozzy47

Tazmanian Veteran
What is this user proposing to do as staff vs being a member? What can they bring to the table that you may need?

Keosan

Aspirant
What is this user proposing to do as staff vs being a member? What can they bring to the table that you may need?
The user has just said that they are willing to take on a challenge which is why they want to be staff. For the most part i need content and active bodies, i don't really need that much staff because theres not alot of people on our forum which we need to moderate

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Introduce granular perks that are not bound to usergroups or responsibilities, like badges.

Badges are generally good because their obtention can be bound to fulfilling specific tasks for you, which you then do not need to personally ask your users for (this way they cant refuse or put you in a bad spot for asking - like posting X reviews, completing their user profile, donating...). Just drop the criterias and let your users fulfill them as they feel like and at their pace.
It tends to satisfy egocentric people as badge collecting gives them an opportunity to rise above other users (extra visibility, credibility), without needing to troubling you with their childish nudges.

You could also take the opportunity to assign them as segregated test staff (in contact with only you) for future projects/sites of yours. This way they can show wether they'd be useful, without there being risk of them harming existing projects. Sometimes the rank fetish comes from a desire to help and belief that they can match or exceed your standards, so its not a bad idea to put that belief to the test, although there are other ways to do so.

Keosan

Aspirant
Introduce granular perks that are not bound to usergroups or responsibilities, like badges.

Badges are generally good because their obtention can be bound to fulfilling specific tasks for you, which you then do not need to personally ask your users for (this way they cant refuse or put you in a bad spot for asking - like posting X reviews, completing their user profile, donating...). Just drop the criterias and let your users fulfill them as they feel like and at their pace.
It tends to satisfy egocentric people as badge collecting gives them an opportunity to rise above other users (extra visibility, credibility), without needing to troubling you with their childish nudges.
Interesting i was considering this route as well! Thanks for the feedback :D

ozzy47

Tazmanian Veteran
Yeah I would do badges, not even entertain the idea of a fake staff.

Keosan

Aspirant
Thanks everyone for all the replies! I think ill make badges and allow him to gather them as he pleases :)

ozzy47

Tazmanian Veteran
You could set the badges based on post count, that way the way they earn them also has a good impact on your site. :)

jekyll

Enthusiast
A post counter badge mostly invites people to post more pointless things. I'd prefer to disable post counters at all.
(When the first user registers on my board, I'll do that too ... :D)

ozzy47

Tazmanian Veteran
Not if you monitor them, and award the badges based on quality as well as quantity.