Member request so it doesnt look so empty (posting optional)

DigNap15

Habitué
What does Lantis mean or stand for?

I wish you well, you have put a lot of work into your other headings

My advise is to find some real world friends and aks them to join and post some comments.
Until you start finding other members

I am busy promoting my own general forum, which is heavily politics, but is focsussed on one small country
Its doing well, but I'd love 5 times as many members

evcom

Participant
I had a look at the site too. My first impression was:
- it offers many ways of engaging (forums, groups, marketplace, polls, etc...)
- it was not clear immediately what the site is about, found the answer in the text in the registration box.

I suggest to reduce the number of features at beginning (shorten main menu), or at least to focus on a few features first. I know as Admin we want to give the members as much as we can, but this can be sometimes a bit overwhelming.

Try to find a niche that is not much discussed elsewhere. Or try to promote a certain functionality that is not seen on other networks. Try to find something unique. With hard work, it might then slowly become a place to hang out and discuss.

Good luck.

evcom

Participant
Oh, and BTW, I did not know phpfox so far. Interesting product. Would you mind to share why you've chosen it?

Z

Zelda

Hello, colubragens, and thanks for demonstrating phpFox. I rarely see this software used in the wild, so it was pleasing to see someone else attempting to use the social media platform. I am sorry you have been unhappy with some of the feedback you have been receiving. I understand how frustrating it can be to have a vision and then discover how incomplete that vision may originally have been when stacked up with a bit of constructive criticism. But I do not think anyone here is trying to put you down or looking to attack you. You, yourself, were wise enough to seek advice beyond your perspective, which I fear many fail to do. Please try not to feel so attacked by the very people you asked to help you, which they are doing, trying to help you.

I, too, am going to give you some advice. I am uncertain if you will like to hear this or not, but please know my opinion comes from someone who would like to see you succeed. I believe you may wish to pick a different domain or forward a standard domain name to your novelty domain extension. While a novelty domain sounds cool, they are not the first thing that comes to people's heads. When most folks think of using the internet, they think dot-com, dot-net, dot-org, and perhaps dot-info. It would appear even search engines favor these standard domain extensions as well. After all, when was the last time you, yourself, Google searched for something in a general search and came up with a dot-site domain as the top result? If I conduct a more finetuned search with something particular in mind, I may find something, I am sure (anything is possible), but that would be the exception and not the rule. I think my overall point is getting noticed is already an uphill battle. Why make it harder?

I wish you the very best of luck in your adventure, colubragens

Last edited by a moderator:

colubragens

Participant
Thanks for all the advice. I have change a lot as I go! Something's I cant change. I will have to accept that, and move on. Thanks to those who have joined up! You know who you are. Also thanks for signing up for the upcoming newsletter! To clarify the site is not a forum but a social media site. Content is determined by its members interests like facebook, Twitter, and any other social media site! I owned phpfox when it was 1.6 now its 4.8 it slowly changed into a facebook clone over time. I know the staff. Also I just got the free upgrade they gave me and decided to run with it. I still am going to pay for the ultimate version asap do to the discount their giving me I will be able to afford it soon. Tribe is another social networking paid software.

DigNap15

Habitué
I may be wrong, but your forum has no real target market or plan or purpose.
Are you trying to fill a gap that does not exist?
I dont think people should start forums just for the sake of it.
They need to have as strong use case, and a desire to make it work.

colubragens

Participant
You obviously didn't read my last post! It is a social networking site! It has a forum among other things. Such as blogs, pages, music,........