Member can access a closed forum: migrated permissions?

RisingSun

Aspirant
Situation
  • We have a forum that dates back to 2005. Last year, we migrated from vBulletin to XF. Shout out to mysiteguy who helped us make a smooth transition.
  • On the old forum and the new forum, we have a few sections that are accessible by only certain groups. For example, we have an officers section for our club leaders. We also have an "event committee" section for people who help plan an annual event. The people on this committee change from year to year, so we add and remove people from being able to access the committee section of the forum on a regular basis.
  • On our forum, we have a longtime member who I will describe as Grom (Grumpy old man). Some years ago Grom was on our event committee, but this has not been true for several years. However, he still can access the closed event committee forum even though he does not have permission to do so.
  • On the old vB forum, we sometimes granted permission to private areas using "access masks." I am wondering if the access mask permissions migrated over to the new XF forum, which would explain why Grom can still access the event committee forum.
Has anyone dealt with this before?
Is there a way to see access mask permissions in XF?
Would they have been migrated?
Is there a way to force reset a user's permissions to default and rebuild his access?

Thanks for any and all help.

Ingenious

Fan
You can check permissions per user from the admin area (users/ test permissions) to see what each user can view.

Usually in XF you mark a restricted forum as "private" under permissions and then explicitly grant access, not try and mask it out which was the old vB way (it catches a lot of people out).

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
Yeah, use the analyze permissions function in Groups/Permissions. Xenforo *mostly* matches VB privileges, but different combinations of primary/secondary permissions can sometimes slip through. Xenforo, since it does not have a 1:1 permission mapping to VB (it's close though), 99% of the time when things don't map the user will end up with a more restrictive set of permissions than they had in VB. Looks like for this person, something about their permission combinations are making that permission less registrictive.

If it's only a small number of people in a private forum, I personally prefer the method Ingenious stated: make it a private forum section -- every including admins will be locked out no matter what their permissions are. You have to explicitly grant access to each single user you want to see it.

Ingenious

Fan
If it's only a small number of people in a private forum, I personally prefer the method @Ingenious stated: make it a private forum section -- every including admins will be locked out no matter what their permissions are. You have to explicitly grant access to each single user you want to see it.
You make it sound here like you have to manually add individual members, you don't, you give "view node / allow" permissions to whatever usergroups you want access, which can be as broad as "registered" and then only members in those groups can see those forums (which is what the OP wants). It's by far the quickest and easiest way on Xenforo to restrict access to specific forums and much better than the old vB way because you just tick "private node" and then add in the usergroups you want to view it.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
You make it sound here like you have to manually add individual members, you don't, you give "view node / allow" permissions to whatever usergroups you want access, which can be as broad as "registered" and then only members in those groups can see those forums (which is what the OP wants). It's by far the quickest and easiest way on Xenforo to restrict access to specific forums and much better than the old vB way because you just tick "private node" and then add in the usergroups you want to view it.
I know this.

However, when it's a small number of users (like a handful), I prefer NOT to create a new user group for them, and instead add the individual users. The reason is because I've seen too many forums that do it with just groups, and over time they end up with more and more groups as they add things like this. Rebuilds and group saves end up taking longer, the number of permission combination grows (can be literally thousands of combination ids), and the more groups you have the more you have to check if you're using addons that work with them, make changes to the forums, etc.

To me, groups make sense when I expect a larger number of people to use a forum section. If it were something like a moderator section, for instance, and the forum only had 3 or 4 mods, I'd add them to a private section. If it had a couple dozen, I'd use a group.