Matt Mecham Reloaded!

• Admin

The Sandman

Administrator
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Matt Mecham Reloaded!

It's hard to believe, but it's been over 2 years since we did our first Interview with Matt Mecham, Chief Software Architect for Invision Power Services and Creator of the Invision Power Board. Let's check in with Matt and find out what he's been up to - rumor has it he's been a busy fellow. :maggie:

==================================================================================================

How are things going with Invision Power Services? Has the new building worked out well? Been hiring some new staff?

We're very happy with where we are right now. We've worked very hard and re-invested heavily into our infrastructure to provide a solid base to build new products from. We recently expanded our data center space to handle additional customer hosting demand. We're always moving forward and growing our business. It's very easy to capture a slice of the market and then allow yourself to stagnate while your competitors continue to make advances and grab ground from you.

The web is changing constantly and the last twelve months or so have seen a complete overhaul in web application thinking and execution. It's a very fertile time for new ideas and concepts and we're very much plugged into this energy. There's a lot of hype surrounding the "Web 2.0" bubble and it's irrelevant whether you buy into the concept; things are changing and I think it's for the better. Thankfully javascript and cookies are back in vogue which makes the life of a developer so much easier.

Our US headquarters has worked out very well in terms of employee management. It's very useful to have key staff under one roof we're finding it a much more productive environment. It also has advantages in terms of how we present ourselves. We've entertained several big name clients who have been interested our services.​

Please bring us up to date on the Invision Power Board - where is it now and where is it going next?

IP.Board is currently on a minor branch from the initial 2.3.0 release. Brandon has been managing IP.Board for a few months which has allowed me to move onto rebuilding IP.Dynamic into IP.Nexus along with Josh. Brandon has done an amazing job and his attention to detail has been a great contribution to IP.Board. He's done some fancy footwork with regards to unicode handling and basically making all the things I threw in work properly.

We're...​
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Echo

Runs with grenades
I agree, good interview.
Our refrigerator. It's silver. We're very pleased with it.
I'm extremely jealous... :unhunh:

Unib5

Participant
Invision Power Board is truly great, but when are they going to make 2.0 free? They made upto 1.3 free. I really like features on 2.0 :)

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
Great interview. :D Can't way until 3.0 comes out, hopefully Christmas 2008. :)

Sevedd

Aspirant
Great interview! When will they be publicly traded? or Are they publicly traded now?

Gazal

Neophyte
thanks for The interview!
and Invision Power forum is truly great
I hope that the next versions more easily

hiphopave.net

Participant
I've never used invision, but a free alternative doesn't sound too bad, especially with the recent price hike of vB.

Quillz

Participant
Invision Power Board is truly great, but when are they going to make 2.0 free? They made upto 1.3 free. I really like features on 2.0 :)
I don't think they are, and they shouldn't. Despite what may have been said in the past, IPB became a commercial product in September 2004. Like it or not, that's how it is.

Anyway, nice interview, and I am also looking forward to IPB 3.