Master Your Forum Niche!

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
Shawn G submitted a new Article:

Master Your Forum Niche!

Master Your Forum Niche

It has been a while since I wrote an article. Today I was making a post and thought of a perfect article to create for you all. In this article, I will discuss the ways and methods of you to master your forum niche. Mastering you niche would mean being a big player of the topic of your forum. If you are a big player, then you will have enough reputation to be known by the forum world in your niche which will in return make your community more worth joining. If I were to join a forum, I would only want to join where the leaders of the forum know exactly what their forum is about.

First, develop friendships.

The best way to start being a master of your forum niche is to develop friendships with other people in the niche that know a lot about it. Lets say you run a pet forum, then you should join other pet forums (not with an intent on advertising) and start to get to know some of the big players in the pet forum world. Maybe try to get to know some pet show hosts by online communications and other "celebrity" types as well. Then some of the big names will get to know you, others will see them as your friend and most likely want to get to know you as well. Starting out with the leaders in a niche is the best way to start gaining a reputation with that niche.

Next, expand your reputation.

Now that you know some people in the niche and people are starting to know you, now you should start to expand your reputation and someone who knows about the niche and knows about it really well. To do this, I would suggest helping people on forums with questions related to the niche. If someone asks what is the best dog food to feed a toy poodle, tell them what it is and what the benefits are of buying it. You should also consider writing articles for popular niche sites and develop that "you know what you are talking about" reputation. The more resources you can provide to people in the niche, especially those who want help, the more of a reputation you will start to get. You may even be asked to be staff on a niche forum which is another great way to gain reputation.

Always, be on top of your niche.

Always know everything about your niche. You should always research your forum niche and get to know it very well. Pay close attention to the past, present and future of the niche and be the one to always know the answer. If you have a forum where you can give any sort of advice on the niche, then you have a forum that will interest people to...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

kavin

Participant
I agree with you Shawn.

I see a lot of admins, being bad to their competitors. It won't help you much. If you be friendly with other people in your niche and do some ads exchanges or affiliate exchanges, you could improve your community better.

izzypopa

Aspirant
Yes, whenever i login to my forum, i always chuck a whole lot of content (downloads and such) up their and see the results a couple of days later.
If you cant be the most popular forum, just chuck that content up and let google take it to work

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
Yes, I have been trying to make sure I personally add a lot of content each time I visit on my forums. Then when I go on who's online and see all the guests, google, yahoo and etc. indexing everything, then I can leave happy :)

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
I am glad you loved reading it and thanks!

ThisOldMan

Wordsmith
Good idea there. Only problem I have is deciding on the niche. The only thing I am good at is writing. Maybe I should google for forums about writing and see whether I can fit in there.

PamBeacher

Enthusiast
Another great article Shawn. (another get it?) Anyway, all of these articles are really starting to pull it all together for me. I like that YOUR niche is the actual niche so to speak. Did that make sense? Well it did in my head. I degrees again, ::) I have always thought about creating a forum, but never knew exactly where to start. Or even worse that I did get it started and no one came. Kind of like when you were a kid and had a party and no one showed up. But I see with these well planned out steps, anyone with any niche can make this happen. Kudos not just for the article, but for the forum. It was all a great idea.

ThisOldMan

Wordsmith
Come to think of it, I think everyone does have a niche they are good at but may not realize it.

It's like blogging. Some people scratch their heads wondering what they should blog about that other people might want to read. What they should do is write about what they know and what they like. It can be something as simple as how to clean the toilet.

Really, I am serious. There are hundreds of millions of people surfing the net everyday. Surely out of that many people, there must be some who have no idea how to clean the toilet properly. If only just one-hundredth of one percent of the total number of net surfers were to visit our site, that would be plenty of people.

Hmmm, I wonder if there're any forums dedicated to talking about cleaning the toilet and other common stuff like that.

Update:

I just couldn't resist the urge to google for 'forums about cleaning toilets' and look at what I found:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/229779-toilet-cleaning-instructions/
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/toilets-sinks-showers-tubs-garbage-disposals/159556-cleaning-toilet-flush-holes.html
http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=38&m=1893970

:D ;D ::) :p ;)