Maintaining A Healthy Relationship With Your Team

CM404

Adherent
CM404 submitted a new Article:

Maintaining A Healthy Relationship With Your Team

As forum administrators, we find ourselves constantly striving to achieve success, whether it be via statistical data (e.g. daily activity averages) or the mere feeling of accomplishing something great. In any case, maintaining a healthy relationship with your community is crucial. This is not only the case with those who have decided to register for the discussion, but also with those who ultimately assist you in the 'behind the scenes' activities and events that take place on a day-to-day basis. I am, of course, referring to the hard-working, passionate team members who assist in maintaining the integrity of a discussion community. Let's face it; balancing the workload that comes standard with an administration-based position can prove to be quite difficult. As such, working with a team and delegating the load evenly can be an invaluable asset to not only yourself, but the community in general.

Each member of a forum team is different and naturally, will not all agree on certain matters or situations. Because of this, it is important to maintain a healthy relationship and positive outlook at all times. This can be achieved in a variety of ways.

Delegate Fairly

The sheer amount of effort and work directed into a discussion forum is a mind-blowing figure in itself. Whether it be dealing with consistently problematic members or improving upon the appearance and feel of the community, delegating work and 'spreading it out' amongst each member of a team is the appropriate course of action to take. As administrators, we naturally have the majority of responsibility. That said, it takes a team to 'make' a community. If there is an overbearing list of tasks that must be completed, be sure to consult with your team to work out some sort of deadline (one in which can be achieved without causing stress or overloading a select group of team members in particular). If one individual feels as though they have been given too much to handle, make an attempt to discuss an alternative method of completion, or, simply delegate that percentage of unfinished work to another team member who is willing to take charge. Listening to what each individual has to say is a common sense move. If someone voices their dislike toward your delegation method, listening to them (even if it's not your first choice) shows a great deal of respect and compassion. You never know; said respect could be returned to you sometime in the future.

You get what you give. Be fair in your...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanCIT

Fan
This article didn't show up in my regular new posts search, only just noticed it when I enabled the sidebar a second ago :hungry:

Great article mate, some really useful info there.

MjrNuT

Fan
Ditto to Alan.

Well written my friend! Great info and everyone should take some, if not all it, into consideration. Morever...at any time too.

Caliope

70's Fashion Icon
An excellent article, well written and full of good advice.

I would just like to add a point based on my own experience of running a small forum.

Empowering 'staff' can work wonders, I run a forum as a democracy, all of the 'staff' have the 'power' to moderate, but I retain the absolute right to veto.

When I do want to reverse a decision I discuss it with the entire team openly and frankly and we come to a general concensus on the final decision.

In four years I have only had to intervene and override a moderation decision once.

This won't work for all forums as one size does not fit all, but it is worth taking into consideration...

Blind Bandit

Fanatic
I can definitely agree on the promotion topic. I know on many forums positions will stagnate. This is especially bad at the admin level. People have worked very hard to get the community going with you and you have promoted them to admin but they are burned out. But then people sit domrant at this level. And it keeps other good staffers down. This is I think its important to promote people on merit not just need of a staff remember. And being proactive about promoting people before you need them. It sucks when you need staff and no one seems the logical choice. And it makes sure hard working people are rewarded and shown they are important.

Also keep in mind everyone makes mistakes in promotions some people just aren't made to be staff. And its not your fault it happens to everyone and you just have remember you can only know someone so well over the net. So when it happens to you. Demote and try again. Some people just can't do the job.

CM404

Adherent
Once again, thanks for all of the feedback, folks. :) I thrive off of it!

Blind Bandit said:
Also keep in mind everyone makes mistakes in promotions some people just aren't made to be staff. And its not your fault it happens to everyone and you just have remember you can only know someone so well over the net. So when it happens to you. Demote and try again. Some people just can't do the job.

That is an excellent point. It is not so much the person as it is the drive and ability necessary to complete the tasks required successfully. Keeping an open and honest relationship with the members of your current team is crucial. At times, the sneaking (or not so sneaky) suspicion of not being able to fulfill an enhanced position on the team is a mutual feeling.