Mac Vs Windows

fixer

I'm In My Prime
I was fine with windows until 10,

I use 7 at work everyday 90% of my job is using Microsoft Office Programs for a world leading company.

I bought a windows 10 desktop and after one week of use , i boxed it up and bought a Mac its been a spiral from there , 4 iPhones , macbook pros, iPads, 3 apple watches etc etc etc, total apple fan boy , now at home everything (but decal plotter) is Apple.

Lisp Machines > Gentoo > OpenBSD > Plan9 > Haiku > CP/M > MSDOS > Windows NT 5.0 > MacOS9 > OS X aka IpaidforBSD

Seriously, with current hardware there is no excuse to be running anything from Microsoft and Apple on bare metal. Even gaming can be done in a virtual machine with acceptable performance now a days. Windows and MacOS are basically the same thing now and neither offer anything that can't be done better in a free operating system. Even if you need the proprietary software for work you can run it in a virtual machine without loss of performance.

What we need is a reset to get rid of the millions of lines of junk code sitting between the user and the hardware. We need to get back to OSs that aren't too large for one person to run through the code and audit. We need to stop buying hardware with proprietary firmware and drivers. We need to cut all this fat we've been dealing with for the last two decades and get back to computers closer to the machines we had in the 80s/early 90s.

Ryan Ashbrook

IPS Developer
I primarily use macOS, but very recently I've started running Windows 10 in a VM, after I quickly realized that:
  1. I need to test in a Windows environment - particularly in Edge.
  2. I have a lot of games I want to play, but require Windows.
I generally prefer macOS, though.

overcast

Adherent
At this point, I can't afford the Mac or any of the Apple products for that matter. Plus I don't have service centers around town either.

dojo

Passionate admin
I'd never pay for a mac, unless it was for free. and then I'd sell it and get a 'normal' laptop for a portion of the profit.

I've done graphic / design work on Windows machines for almost 2 decades. All I need is a 17 inch screen laptop, with some decent specs and I'm free to create my masterpieces :D

Klaatu

Fan
I'd never pay for a mac, unless it was for free. and then I'd sell it and get a 'normal' laptop for a portion of the profit.

I've done graphic / design work on Windows machines for almost 2 decades. All I need is a 17 inch screen laptop, with some decent specs and I'm free to create my masterpieces :D

I get the latest models for free (I bought one once though) and I've never liked them. They've made me good money though. :D I guess I'm just used to Windows. I haven't had a problem with viruses since 2006 I think and I'm yet to experience a crash on W10 (it's been 3 years since using it).

doubt

Tazmanian
Pro Stand for 1K?
Very soon can buy the whole Pro for the starting price of 6K.
Top of the line Pro: 33K as the bare minimum...

I'm getting ready for it:

apreviews.123rf.com_images_highwaystarz_highwaystarz1512_highw4f36628fa69bbf8c6bb9135e3b601820.jpg

mysiteguy

Fanatic
Yeah, the price is so ridiculous that even the fanboys gasped in shock at the announcement event. That price, for a stand, is unbelievably arrogant.

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
Yeah, the price is so ridiculous that even the fanboys gasped in shock at the announcement event. That price, for a stand, is unbelievably arrogant.
The cats at Apple ain't dumb! And they price their stuff accordingly.

"Money for nothing and your checks for free..."

Klaatu

Fan

When I first saw this I honestly thought it was a parody. Mr. Tim Apple is no Steve Jobs. The company has been going downhill since he took over.

overcast

Adherent
Buying a new computer during the coronavirus pandemic period? You are really brave!
Lol not at all. I have to let this phase go down. I am mostly interested in developer machine like say AIR or maybe Macbook pro. Just for coding.

Chris

Administrator
After leaving the world of computer repair as a Geek Squad Agent working in-home and on-site for enterprise...I went all in on mac.

Luckily, I've used macs since make that switch. Personally to save a few bucks I'll buy a refurbished or even used apple. The mac mini that I use as a home server came from Craigslist, and I souped it up with maxing the ram and installing an SSD. If you don't need cutting edge technology, and can handle basic repair, I'd go the refurbished route.

BigPete7978

Aspirant
I think both have their positives and negatives. I have had both Macs and Windows machines, and like both of them for various reasons. It all comes down to what you are trying to do.

User37935

Neophyte
This thread has been resurrected from the dead! ;)

My very old (>10 years) Macbook Pro died recently. I'd held off upgrading to another MacBook as the prices went silly, the ports disappeared on newer models, the keyboard went faulty apparently and it become non user repairable. My MacBook Pro has had a new SSD, new RAM, multiple new batteries, a new motherboard connector from Hong Kong. Try doing that on a modern Mac!

Unfortunately I couldn't find a windows laptop that felt so nice to use, so a few weeks ago bit the bullet and got the base 2020 MacBook Air. It's so nice, I am really pleased with it. The new keyboard is excellent, the speed surprising (so quick compared to my old Pro but bear in mind how old it was) and I am learning to live with dongles and adapters. Shame I won't be able to fix it or replace the battery myself but it is a lovely machine.

Ignore all the YouTube videos telling you to get the i5 model (influencers mainly, paid to promote products), the base i3 is fine for most stuff. Though it probably wouldn't do 4k editing well (you'd get a MacBook Pro for that, or a well specced PC desktop).