Mac Vs Windows

John Crane

Neophyte
Hi,
I'm planning to buy a pc to do some editing to create some YouTube videos. What will be the great companion for me?

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Mac is stable but PC is cheaper and you need to know what you are doing to make it as stable as Mac, i would use Adobe software to make the video's.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian

Install drivers in the correct order for example. Had it a few months back that a pc did not run stable because i installed the drivers not correctly. Also under Windows 10 you need to read what to turn off or on. Windows 7 is much better to handel. But Mac's are more stable then pc's never crashed a mac.

If you want a mac dont exclude mac mini there small but enough for audio/video and images to work with.

pierce

Habitué
i crash macs all day long... and when your hdd gets corrupted on a mac... yeah thats also fun trying to recover them.

Hauyser

illiterate.
Been a Mac user for the past ten years - I wouldn't look back at all.

Gus

Enthusiast
You could buy 4 windows laptops for the price of one apple laptop, so if money is a factor I would go with a windows computer.

pierce

Habitué
Time Capsule. ;)
I replace my external HD with a new one every 12 months whether it needs it or not.
That way if your internal HD goes bonkers, you simply take it out and use the patented 16lb sledge adjustment tool.

And as for stability - yes, the Mac is generally much more stable - but I have had some regular crashes lately from hardware - think I've got a RAM module acting up on me but waiting until Apple decides whether they are coming out with a Mini refresh before I change it.
What about machines installed to customer property..

They only do one thing day in day out.

pierce

Habitué
ANY computer should be having regular backups on it. With the Mac and Time Machine there is no reason not to - other than laziness or cheapness.
Why would they backup a computer that does one and only one thing? It doesn't even record or store data.

pierce

Habitué
It's a lot quicker to restore from the Time Machine than have to put a new drive in and then fight through manually installing the OS and program(s). As they say, time IS money.
I know, but its not cut n dry.

I can tell you that price, speed, flexibility etc are very real factors in the industry we work in.

If we add in a backup nas, software to backup, creditentials etc. We will have lost to our competition on all 3 and never sold anything.

You can't just say what you want and sit on the moral high grounds. Its a lonely place.

Anyways my original point was mac's crash just as bad as pc's and all equipment dies.

Starskull

Enthusiast
I did tech support for Apple at one point. Mac sucks...IMO...

PC/Window FTW.

NickCF

I come from a land Down Under...
I know, but its not cut n dry.

I can tell you that price, speed, flexibility etc are very real factors in the industry we work in.

If we add in a backup nas, software to backup, creditentials etc. We will have lost to our competition on all 3 and never sold anything.

You can't just say what you want and sit on the moral high grounds. Its a lonely place.

Anyways my original point was mac's crash just as bad as pc's and all equipment dies.
Are you actually advocating not to back up your computer?

There is literally NO reason not to use a backup solution, whether on PC or Mac. While Time Machine isn't the only solution, it's by far the easiest.

pierce

Habitué
Are you actually advocating not to back up your computer?

There is literally NO reason not to use a backup solution, whether on PC or Mac. While Time Machine isn't the only solution, it's by far the easiest.
Im advocating if your tendering for business and its not in the specification don't add it. Because your competition wont, and you will lose.

NickCF

I come from a land Down Under...
Im advocating if your tendering for business and its not in the specification don't add it. Because your competition wont, and you will lose.
That might depend on what you're pitching, but seriously, no backup is irresponsible to say the least.

I could not disagree more.

pierce

Habitué
That might depend on what you're pitching, but seriously, no backup is irresponsible to say the least.

I could not disagree more.
Then don't win business tenders and don't make money. Or pick jobs that only specify backups or whatever.

Its always advised and re-iterated to backup. Sometimes it goes in. Sometimes it doesn't. But never forced.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian

If i need a complete new infrastucture with servers and workstations and backup solution was not provided you would be excluded straight away. If you have a normal company with many documents you're better off backing up if you get a crash you need to restore documents. If you'll need a typist that needs a month to type everything out you could be looking at a months work, the backup solution would be cheaper. A blue-ray writer with m-disk is cheap to have and primary a normal solution in backup.

pierce

Habitué
You have to specify what you want. If you don't put it in it wont be listed on a quote. Or worse completely inadequate or overkill.