Mac Vs Windows

rakovsky

Aspirant
I guess Windows is better for practical purposes because so many things are made for Windows. By now I've gotten used to Windows and it's been years since I worked on a Mac. I know that you can use emulators and "boxes" to run Windows programs on Macs, but it seems like more of a hassle than just using a PC.

rakovsky

Aspirant
We are currently running iMac Pros which, when we bought them, had better i/o than standard iMacs. Three years on we are now in the market for upgrades and unless we opt for afterburner equipped Mac Pros ($$$), we will probably go the PC route simply because GPU support is still better on PCs and that matters if you are running something like Boris FX (effects and Mocha Pro) as part of the editing, masking, grading cycle.

We've also not managed to get MS FS running well on Bootcamp yet, either on our iMac Pros or i9 MacBooks with 64GB ram, so there's also another reason to want to go the PC route.

1984 - Meigs airfield Chicago.
View attachment 54967

View attachment 54966
That's really cool. And actually the screenshot from the 1984 game looks good for its time period! It would be good quality even for the early 1990's!
Here is a screenshot from the "Kursk" tank game that I was playing on DOS in the 1990's:
hqdefault.jpg

Chemical

Participant
I guess Windows is better for practical purposes because so many things are made for Windows. By now I've gotten used to Windows and it's been years since I worked on a Mac. I know that you can use emulators and "boxes" to run Windows programs on Macs, but it seems like more of a hassle than just using a PC.
i spent much of 2020 lockdown trying to run Windows on Macs. It's easy if you use Parallels, but anything that runs natively has issues of one sort or another.
That's really cool. And actually the screenshot from the 1984 game looks good for its time period! It would be good quality even for the early 1990's!
Here is a screenshot from the "Kursk" tank game that I was playing on DOS in the 1990's:
hqdefault.jpg
90s? Wow, still running in CGA 320 x 200 mode by the looks of it. Or might be running in text mode at 640x480. But the graphics are only half the story right? Sitting on the runway at Meigs was as much confirmed by the sound of the idling motor as it was by looking at the engine speed gauge, or stationary background. Did you ever play Warhawk on Playstation?

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I was running Boot Camp in 2012-2015 and no major issues because that was native Windows, just the GPU was a bit underpowered. I was impressed at how performant Parallels could be - my friend was using his 2013 iMac with Parallels and getting acceptable performance in Assassin’s Creed 3.

But I wouldn’t buy a Mac again for gaming.

Ryan Ashbrook

IPS Developer
But I wouldn’t buy a Mac again for gaming.
I still use Mac for work, but I just recently custom built a PC specifically for gaming, though I did also set it up for work as well, if I ever need it.

rakovsky

Aspirant
i spent much of 2020 lockdown trying to run Windows on Macs. It's easy if you use Parallels, but anything that runs natively has issues of one sort or another.

90s? Wow, still running in CGA 320 x 200 mode by the looks of it. Or might be running in text mode at 640x480. But the graphics are only half the story right? Sitting on the runway at Meigs was as much confirmed by the sound of the idling motor as it was by looking at the engine speed gauge, or stationary background. Did you ever play Warhawk on Playstation?
Warhawk reminds me of a game that my little brother loved to play on our new computer in the 1990's, Descent I or Descent II (published on Dos in 1995-1996). At the time it was top level technology and even came with a joystick. He loved it. We got the game complimentary for us buying our PC. He loved playing the game, but then when it got up to a certain level, the game glitched out. The internet was just coming out for us, so these were the days before you could easily go online and figure out what the problem was. You would have to try a combination of going to the computer seller, a computer technician, or calling Tech support, and even after all that it might not work because you were trying to make a top line joystick shooter game work on DOS.

I see that the 3 game series is available now on Steam as a bundle for under $21.

ss_c30222dfd837be6f33a88536ea9223131a3bb11d.1920x1080.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Descent series on Steam: