Mac Vs Windows

pierce

Habitué
That might depend on what you're pitching, but seriously, no backup is irresponsible to say the least.

I could not disagree more.
Then don't win business tenders and don't make money. Or pick jobs that only specify backups or whatever.

Its always advised and re-iterated to backup. Sometimes it goes in. Sometimes it doesn't. But never forced.

we_are_borg

Administrator
Im advocating if your tendering for business and its not in the specification don't add it. Because your competition wont, and you will lose.
If i need a complete new infrastucture with servers and workstations and backup solution was not provided you would be excluded straight away. If you have a normal company with many documents you're better off backing up if you get a crash you need to restore documents. If you'll need a typist that needs a month to type everything out you could be looking at a months work, the backup solution would be cheaper. A blue-ray writer with m-disk is cheap to have and primary a normal solution in backup.

pierce

Habitué
You have to specify what you want. If you don't put it in it wont be listed on a quote. Or worse completely inadequate or overkill.

we_are_borg

Administrator
You have to specify what you want. If you don't put it in it wont be listed on a quote. Or worse completely inadequate or overkill.
If you work for a company that sell's PC's and servers i would always recommend it to a cllient even if it was to cover my own butt.

Sal Collaziano

Womanizer
Heh! Somebody mentioned "crashing". I switched to Mac 10 years ago and haven't crashed once since. I remember that happening all the time with all my Windows computers. I never thought I'd switch but I did and I'm grateful...

NickCF

I come from a land Down Under...
I love how the thread started about some guy choosing a computer to do some video editing on and turned into someone talking about how they would pitch a corporate IT solution for a client. Bit of a tangent, eh?

But seriously, whether you include it in a quote or not, it's silly not to backup your computer, which is the point.

49er

Enthusiast
I run two comps side by side, one a Mac the other Windows, for your needs a Mac for sure ..

Klaatu

Fan
I upgraded my desktop with Windows 10 more than a year and a half ago and I haven't had a single crash. I bought a MacBook Pro last year and it crashes like 50% of the times I use it (which isn't often.)

The MacBook Pro is great when it works; but so is my Windows 10. ;)

Sal Collaziano

Womanizer
I upgraded my desktop with Windows 10 more than a year and a half ago and I haven't had a single crash. I bought a MacBook Pro last year and it crashes like 50% of the times I use it (which isn't often.)

The MacBook Pro is great when it works; but so is my Windows 10. ;)
What does it look like when a Mac crashes? I mean - what happens? Does Windows still have the blue screen of death? I've been using Macs for ten years, 10-14 hours per day, and I've never seen one crash.

I have to wonder if God just loves me better or people are running such complex programs that if Einstein were alive today, he'd have trouble using them...

Sal Collaziano

Womanizer
I went on YouTube and searched, "mac os x crash" just to see what it actually looked like - and the first two videos are "instructional" titled, "How To Crash Mac OS X". People actually need INSTRUCTIONS to crash a Mac. So glad I switched...

Klaatu

Fan
What does it look like when a Mac crashes? I mean - what happens? Does Windows still have the blue screen of death? I've been using Macs for ten years, 10-14 hours per day, and I've never seen one crash.

I have to wonder if God just loves me better or people are running such complex programs that if Einstein were alive today, he'd have trouble using them...
I get a black screen. All OS crash, I've had crashes on my Android and iOS devices as well. And yes, Windows 10 still has the dreaded BSOD. I've never had one on my main computer; but I saw it a couple of times on a friend's laptop. It's prettier now though and it shows a sad emoticon. :D

KimmiKat

Adherent
Have both machines myself. Plus a multi-OS boot machine which has Hackintosh on it. Most machines can crash and burn sometimes.

I run two comps side by side, one a Mac the other Windows, for your needs a Mac for sure ..

Famous

Aspirant
I personally use windows, have been for the last few years, I can't really complain. I would love to try mac, but until I get enough money to buy one, windows it will remain.

bigpapapascarab1

Aspirant
for me mac because it is easier to use, and not immune to viruses but a lot easier to catch and it can be configured to nearly be resistant to viruses via gatekeeper though it is useless to some software and it is more expensive but that is my 2 cents

BioWarfare

The uphill battle
This is like asking PC or console. Why not both if you can afford it? Most Macs are expensive for the specs. But they run smoother, last longer, and Mac OS X is gorgeous and user friendly. Also don't have to worry about shady files (.exe). Just get both if you can.

we_are_borg

Administrator
This is like asking PC or console. Why not both if you can afford it? Most Macs are expensive for the specs. But they run smoother, last longer, and Mac OS X is gorgeous and user friendly. Also don't have to worry about shady files (.exe). Just get both if you can.
I have Windows and Mac, windows is for normal work and games but mac i use for graphics.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
I've always been a "bang for the buck" kind of hillbilly so's I can git-r-dun nice and cheaplike...I drive Chevies and run Windows PCs. :tup:

Julie Encabo

Participant
I believe it all depends on the software you like to use for editing.

I feel that AVID is better with PC, and that premiere works great with both.

If you're a Final Cut person it HAS to be Mac.

That said - most important is to have a strong computer no matter the brand. A good graphic processor and nice amount of RAM, this is what makes the difference more than anything.