Looks like some people are trying to be overnight millionaires selling Xenforo 2 mods!

sanction9

Enthusiast
Speaking of chargebacks...

View attachment 49569

Luckily folks like this are rather rare.
Set a little trap for him. Create a private link that can be downloaded x-many times, share it with a Paypal rep beforehand and invite that person to personally try it, then share it in the dispute comments and wait for the person to claim it doesn't work (after they've downloaded it to its limit.) Ha ha.

cellarius

Aspirant
To each their own if your happy selling $150 add-ons to a few people great.
So, what exactly is the issue?
But if you price it at a reasonable price
Who decides what's reasonable? From what follows I suspect what you really mean is chaep.
But as for me, I value my money and I am not going to spend it on an overpriced add-on!
And that's totally your prerogative. No one forces you to part with your money. It's always a process of balancing on both sites, developer and customer. Lower price/more customers or vice versa for the developer, and for the customer price vs. functionality gain for his forum.

P.S. People are not giving away free add-ons with Xenforo 2.0 because they are looking to make a quick buck.
Scandalous. People wanting to get paid for their work. Unheard of!
And as time goes on a lot of these paid add-ons will be free or reduced to a reasonable price!
So, basically all your're complaining about is that you can't get it for free NOW, and have to wait until it gets free?

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
Just to clarify, I don't have a problem with people making a buck.

But honestly, I see things being offered for sale that IMO should really be in the core. Its also a PITA because some addon guys disappear, don't improve their mods or just plain charge more then the addon is worth.

Then there is the PITA of upgrading when its a paid addon, which means I cant upgrade with one click using the chris' addon installer.

That said, there are many very good developers out there who don't charge crazy money and who do consistently update addons, etc.

Just venting. :)

Soulwatcher

Devotee
So, what exactly is the issue?

Who decides what's reasonable? From what follows I suspect what you really mean is chaep.

And that's totally your prerogative. No one forces you to part with your money. It's always a process of balancing on both sites, developer and customer. Lower price/more customers or vice versa for the developer, and for the customer price vs. functionality gain for his forum.

So, basically all your're complaining about is that you can't get it for free NOW, and have to wait until it gets free?
Obviously, you nitpicked what you wanted to try and make me look bad and I said over and over in this thread that I have no problem paying for add-ons just not an overpriced add-on. If you want to spend your money on overpriced add-ons, by all means, go ahead.

P.S. the price of anything is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I could sell a penny for $100 but that doesn't mean people are going to buy it.

Soulwatcher

Devotee
But again I ask - who is the arbiter for "overpriced?"
I am when I am paying for it.
So why complain if they do? Who does it harm?
If people are crazy enough to pay for it, by all means, let them do it. But that still doesn't stop the fact that they are overpriced. Look at the bookmark addon for Xenforo 2, for example, TH Bookmark $25 or all of Andy B's add-ons for $25 which includes bookmarks. And I could point out more if you want me to.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
the price of anything is whatever someone is willing to pay for i
Not necessarily. Some may deliberately price their addons high so they have fewer people to support, not because theyre looking to optimize their sales as merchants.

we_are_borg

Administrator
Obviously, you nitpicked what you wanted to try and make me look bad and I said over and over in this thread that I have no problem paying for add-ons just not an overpriced add-on. If you want to spend your money on overpriced add-ons, by all means, go ahead.

P.S. the price of anything is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I could sell a penny for $100 but that doesn't mean people are going to buy it.
So if you do not have an issue with it why make a topic about it?

Yes you can sell a penny for $100 but it all depends on the penny is it unique enough.

we_are_borg

Administrator
Because it's worth talking about? This thread is already 6 pages long so other people must care too.
The idea i get from this thread is that people are saying i dont care what a developer asks. Only on small edits the people have comments, but if you find the price to high don't buy it, arguing about the price is pointless because the maker of the add-on values his/her add-on on that price.

The same with the links you posted here https://theadminzone.com/threads/lo...ing-xenforo-2-mods.146296/page-2#post-1108800 some of those add-ons takes months to write. Lets say for example (i don't now for sure) the add-on takes 3 months to write so 13 weeks with 40 hours in a week to complete the task so that's 13x40=520 hours average pay low end of the scale is 60k (this is what a starter PHP developer gets) a year so divide that by 4 you have the average salary for 3 months. That 15k you can divide by 520 hours so he/she makes $29 an hour (THIS IS ALL AN EXAMPLE).

So now you know what a PHP developer makes a hour now some one is asking $50 for his add-on that toke 3 months development time to break even in cost he needs to sell 300 copies of the add-on. But there are developers that ask a one time fee so does 300 copies needs to sustain him all the way till XF2.1 or XF2 if he does not renewal once a year. But for that 15k he also needs to give support, repair errors and maybe make new features or improvements. A senior PHP developer can make it to 100k a year can you imagine what he needs to ask for development of an add-on.

Bionic Rooster

Adherent
Obviously, you nitpicked what you wanted to try and make me look bad
You seem to be doing a better job of making yourself look bad with the following post which is one of many made by you.
Generally it would appear you are not interested in others opinions especially if they appose yours and the best way in most cases for you is to put people down when they do disagree.
I think the first post was great for discussions but you've turned it into an argument that you're right and others are crazy to disagree with you.
Thanks for the insight................

If people are crazy enough to pay for it, by all means, let them do it. But that still doesn't stop the fact that they are overpriced. Look at the bookmark addon for Xenforo 2, for example, TH Bookmark $25 or all of Andy B's add-ons for $25 which includes bookmarks. And I could point out more if you want me to.

Bionic Rooster

Adherent
But that still doesn't stop the fact that they are overpriced. Look at the bookmark addon for Xenforo 2, for example, TH Bookmark $25 or all of Andy B's add-ons for $25 which includes bookmarks. And I could point out more if you want me to.
Just had a re-look at your comparison to justify your assertion claiming "But that still doesn't stop the fact that they are overpriced."
I took the time to look at both Book Marks
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/bookmark.3970/ (free)
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/th-bookmarks.5640/ (paid)
The paid one has more features and is better supported than the free one.
Even though value and bang for your buck are important to you the paid version seems to me to be the better choice if someone is looking for functionality, quality, and support.
If you are claiming the paid version is over priced, you need to look at what you get for free and what you get for paid.

Alpha1

Administrator
I do not find any of the addons you posted here overpriced as long as these function well. The assertion that any of these developers is trying to become millionaires overnight at the expense of their customers is insulting to say the least.

Soulwatcher

Devotee
I do not find any of the addons you posted here overpriced as long as these function well. The assertion that any of these developers is trying to become millionaires overnight at the expense of their customers is insulting to say the least.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion if you want to pay those high prices go ahead. And like i said a addons are only worth what somone is willing to pay for them. If they are worth it to you then buy them. But i am going to wait until someone makes.them cheaper and you know someone will make them cheaper.

Soulwatcher

Devotee
The idea i get from this thread is that people are saying i dont care what a developer asks. Only on small edits the people have comments, but if you find the price to high don't buy it, arguing about the price is pointless because the maker of the add-on values his/her add-on on that price.

The same with the links you posted here https://theadminzone.com/threads/lo...ing-xenforo-2-mods.146296/page-2#post-1108800 some of those add-ons takes months to write. Lets say for example (i don't now for sure) the add-on takes 3 months to write so 13 weeks with 40 hours in a week to complete the task so that's 13x40=520 hours average pay low end of the scale is 60k (this is what a starter PHP developer gets) a year so divide that by 4 you have the average salary for 3 months. That 15k you can divide by 520 hours so he/she makes $29 an hour (THIS IS ALL AN EXAMPLE).

So now you know what a PHP developer makes a hour now some one is asking $50 for his add-on that toke 3 months development time to break even in cost he needs to sell 300 copies of the add-on. But there are developers that ask a one time fee so does 300 copies needs to sustain him all the way till XF2.1 or XF2 if he does not renewal once a year. But for that 15k he also needs to give support, repair errors and maybe make new features or improvements. A senior PHP developer can make it to 100k a year can you imagine what he needs to ask for development of an add-on.
If you explain it like that then i can see your point.

Soulwatcher

Devotee
Just had a re-look at your comparison to justify your assertion claiming "But that still doesn't stop the fact that they are overpriced."
I took the time to look at both Book Marks
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/bookmark.3970/ (free)
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/th-bookmarks.5640/ (paid)
The paid one has more features and is better supported than the free one.
Even though value and bang for your buck are important to you the paid version seems to me to be the better choice if someone is looking for functionality, quality, and support.
If you are claiming the paid version is over priced, you need to look at what you get for free and what you get for paid.
I domt know what the difference between Andys Xenforo 2.0 bookmark vs TH Bookmark Xenforo 2.0 bookmark but i do see your point when you explain it like that.

Ramses

Adherent
I think some of us just miss the time of mostly free add-ons we had on vb.org...

we_are_borg

Administrator
I think some of us just miss the time of mostly free add-ons we had on vb.org...
There still is but because paid and free is on XF it seems that its only paid add-ons on there. Also when vBulletin was released untill 2010 or so Internet was different. Before that time people gave more away then they do now time is more pressious.

Fillip H.

Developer
There still is but because paid and free is on XF it seems that its only paid add-ons on there. Also when vBulletin was released untill 2010 or so Internet was different. Before that time people gave more away then they do now time is more pressious.
Very valid points.

Another point to consider is the fact that the barrier to entry for selling your own mods hasn't really decreased by that much. You still have to set up an eCommerce solution to handle the actual buying and selling.

Since Lite versions aren't needed for visibility on XF.com, it may seem like there's less free mods but in truth a lot of free mods were simply stripped-down versions of paid mods.

we_are_borg

Administrator
Very valid points.

Another point to consider is the fact that the barrier to entry for selling your own mods hasn't really decreased by that much. You still have to set up an eCommerce solution to handle the actual buying and selling.

Since Lite versions aren't needed for visibility on XF.com, it may seem like there's less free mods but in truth a lot of free mods were simply stripped-down versions of paid mods.
Selling products online is so easy these days everyone can do it. The lite versions where nice to have sometimes you did not need always the paid version. But for developers it easier only one version to maintain for XF so cost for them is less then it was.