Looks Like 2.2.0 is released now

DigNap15

Habitué

DigNap15

Habitué
That encourages users to register...
I'd need to see some proof
I don't like losing control of my membership (and changing their usernames)
Does that mean Russian spammers will be able to post?
But Maybe I need to study up on it

Pigoo

Adherent
But Maybe I need to study up on it

Yes...:)

I believe the way this feature works is...unregistered members are allowed to compose a reply...but are not allowed to actually post it to a thread until they register. The idea being...an unregistered person has already committed some of their time & effort by composing a reply...and they wouldn't want that time & effort lost...so they register in order to actually add their post to a thread.

When I was deciding between Xenforo & IPS...IPS already had this feature...and it was strongly rumored that this feature would be coming to XF 2.2 (which it appears it has).:)

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
Yes...:)

I believe the way this feature works is...unregistered members are allowed to compose a reply...but are not allowed to actually post it to a thread until they register. The idea being...an unregistered person has already committed some of their time & effort by composing a reply...and they wouldn't want that time & effort lost...so they register in order to actually add their post to a thread.

When I was deciding between Xenforo & IPS...IPS already had this feature...and it was strongly rumored that this feature would be coming to XF 2.2 (which it appears it has).:)

This is my understanding too.

I accidentally upgraded to 2.2 last night. I only intended to upgrade to the latest 2.1. Oh well!

I decided to roll with it, and have managed to get my site mostly back to normal now.
I upgraded xf 2.1.5 to xf 2.2 on my test site yesterday which is basically clean and had nothing but trouble, reams of errors due to missing files with the AC update. After 4 attempts and 6 hours it finally worked. Not sure I will update the live site which has more to f up than the test site.

Karll

Adherent
My first problem was that the ACP was broken because obviously I hadn't disabled any add-ons since I wasn't expecting to upgrade to 2.2. So had to find the right magic for the config.php file. Then the ACP worked again, so I could disable the add-ons.

Then of course my default theme/style was broken, so had to revert to a basic one. By this morning ThemeHouse had a fix for the style, so I was able to fix that as well.

The remaining issues are to do with reaction icons, some minor issues in the style and a few less essential add-ons probably need upgrading - unsure if 2.2 versions exist yet, though.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
I'd need to see some proof
Its a dark pattern meant to decrease the perceived duration and delay of signups and make the duration of posting your existing reply your current reference for wether itd be more worthwhile to signup or trash your effort.

Registration would still be required, this new implementation is meant to encourage participants to type believing they can submit, then hit them with a short prompt to generate a usable account (for submitting, being possible to contact and 'secure your account' type of profile completion and id verification procedures).
One limitation of this is it works magnitudes better for desktop users and hardly from mobiles.

Pigoo

Adherent
As many of us know...being an early adopter of a recently released software (or OS) update or upgrade can be risky. I usually wait until at least the first update for better stability.:)

deslocotoco

Enthusiast
I need a simple dark theme to use with the default one to make the transition.

I'm not going anymore with custom themes. They are expensive and a little heavy on mobile devices. Anyway, the default theme is great, simple and objective. I'm trying a 'less is more' approach.

I'm not complaining, I'm using right now a great theme from Pixel Exit, but is not everybody that have a great smartphone to run all the customized features without getting a big load on their phones.

User2684

Neophyte

I'm not going anymore with custom themes. They are expensive and a little heavy on mobile devices. Anyway, the default theme is great, simple and objective. I'm trying a 'less is more' approach.

I'm not complaining, I'm using right now a great theme from Pixel Exit, but is not everybody that have a great smartphone to run all the customized features without getting a big load on their phones.
I’m using TH and very happy with it.

Russ

Administrator

palhanow, I'm sorry but you may be misinformed. The only additional asset that Nova loads out of the box is a custom google font call, past that you're looking at a little extra HTML + CSS. Just about every feature in our styles has been coded so that if it's not enabled, it won't load the additional code. All of our toggle features use code already built inside of XenForo. We call zero additional JS files out of the box and are very cautious with adding features that would require such additional assets.

Looking at your home page, you won't fix the loading times by changing styles, I'm sorry. Some of the things on your home page:
  • Interactive COVID-19 chart loading in an iframe
  • COVID charts with multiple tabs that are taller than the other content on your site (with tabs and a ton of info)
  • Currency scroller in an iframe showcasing current pricing for various dollars
  • A ton of ads loading from all different sources
  • Loading individual flags for every single country on your covid chart (you're loading 100+ images just for the flags)
  • COVER images for articles that are massive compared to what is showing
  • Ads that are shifting the content around when loading, this isn't good for mobile devices at all
I don't like it when my styles are blamed for adding load to mobile devices when it's clearly not the case. I hope you take this as constructive feedback, if you care so much about the pagespeed I'd highly reconsider some of the approaches you have on your current home page.

Just to expand on this a little further.
XF forum list has around 71 requests right now (the majority of them are avatars)
My stock demo forum has 20 requests right now on Nova (barely any avatars because of the posts)
Your site has 415 requests on the initial page load

TheComputerGuy

Adherent

You’re doing something wrong. I’ve worked with Russ on 30+ styles for my sites. Speed was always top priority. Might want to take his advice on what he recommends looking into.

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
My forum uses TH currently, and I've been admin on a forum with Pixel exit. Never had a reason to call either up on speed issues.

deslocotoco

Enthusiast
palhanow, I'm sorry but you may be misinformed. The only additional asset that Nova loads out of the box is a custom google font call, past that you're looking at a little extra HTML + CSS. Just about every feature in our styles has been coded so that if it's not enabled, it won't load the additional code. All of our toggle features use code already built inside of XenForo. We call zero additional JS files out of the box and are very cautious with adding features that would require such additional assets.

Looking at your home page, you won't fix the loading times by changing styles, I'm sorry. Some of the things on your home page:
  • COVID charts with multiple tabs that are taller than the other content on your site (with tabs and a ton of info)
  • Loading individual flags for every single country on your covid chart (you're loading 100+ images just for the flags)
  • Ads that are shifting the content around when loading, this isn't good for mobile devices at all
I don't like it when my styles are blamed for adding load to mobile devices when it's clearly not the case. I hope you take this as constructive feedback, if you care so much about the pagespeed I'd highly reconsider some of the approaches you have on your current home page.

XF forum list has around 71 requests right now (the majority of them are avatars)
My stock demo forum has 20 requests right now on Nova (barely any avatars because of the posts)

Russ, sorry about my post. I do appreciate a constructive feedback.

I was harsh and this really was not my intention. The complain of users maybe wasn't a theme issue (i have a lot of old mobile devices using my platform), they complain about everything.

I do love my theme, use since my first XF installation, but considering all you talking about, i see no point to abandon then.

I think is time to change the initial page a little bit, COVID-19 information is not so much important right now and maybe is time to move to another place. Do you have any tips on how i can use this COVID-19 frames/widgets in some other area? Or maybe a completely new page just for then?