Looking for post exchanges for my Cable TV Free forum.

KimmiKat

Adherent
I don't use Chrome, but tried on Edge, same thing. This is weird. The cat board works though. A different Zenforo board is doing the same...

Soulwatcher

Devotee
I don't use Chrome, but tried on Edge, same thing. This is weird. The cat board works though. A different Zenforo board is doing the same...
That's really weird because I am using the same hosting provider/package on all 3 forums. And I wish I could help you but I don't have any idea what could be wrong with your PC?

Oblivion Knight

Participant
Working fine for me (and I recognise you from Help Minds Heal).

Do you have any interest in / knowledge of Resident Evil? I'd be interested in a 5/5 weekly..

DigNap15

Adherent
I had never heard of post exchnages
But it sounds like a good way to get a new forum up off the ground!

KimmiKat

Adherent
I forgot to say I logged out and could see the board, but logging in, once again presented a blank page except for what I mentioned earlier and a grayish button that does nothing. Like mentioned above, got the same on another board recently and the admin had to fix a few users and a Mod after a server move. Did you just move to the new host last couple of days?

That's really weird because I am using the same hosting provider/package on all 3 forums. And I wish I could help you but I don't have any idea what could be wrong with your PC?

Soulwatcher

Devotee
Working fine for me (and I recognise you from Help Minds Heal).

Do you have any interest in / knowledge of Resident Evil? I'd be interested in a 5/5 weekly..
No, I don't sorry I never played Resident Evil. Horror games and horror movies give me nightmares LOL.

Soulwatcher

Devotee
I forgot to say I logged out and could see the board, but logging in, once again presented a blank page except for what I mentioned earlier and a grayish button that does nothing. Like mentioned above, got the same on another board recently and the admin had to fix a few users and a Mod after a server move. Did you just move to the new host last couple of days?
I didn't move to a new host but I had my hosting package upgraded to a reseller account 3 days ago. I can log in and out of the forum and I can log in and out of the admin panel without any problems. Can you try a DNS Flush and see if that fixes it? https://www.technipages.com/flush-and-reset-the-dns-resolver-cache-using-ipconfig.

Joel R

Fan
I had never heard of post exchnages
But it sounds like a good way to get a new forum up off the ground!
I think you only need to assess the overall quality and activity of sites who try to engage in post exchanges to understand it's a low value method. To put it graciously, it builds a network of trash forums, each more dead than the next. (This is nothing personal against Soulwatcher who is a long time member of TAZ, but it is a critique against a tactic that isn't sustainable).

There are far more valuable ways of spending your time in the early days of the forum to build a genuine and sustained audience.

It's a disservice to the future of forums for TAZ to be condoning such legacy tactics.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I would be careful about dismissing “legacy tactics”, because not all niches keep up with the times.

Heck, my niche is still doing the 88x31 affiliate banners thing.

Priming the pump in the early days is about getting content on there that others want to read and engage with; exchanges don’t necessarily produce this. They can, but they aren’t super reliable at doing so.

I don’t know if “making several accounts and posting with yourself” is a legacy technique any more.

KimmiKat

Adherent
When I had a mboard eons ago, me and a few other board owners did like a "network" thing with links on the footer. I took over a board in the early 00s called TN Talk, and we had a network of other Tennessee boards on the links. Do to lack of time and stuff the boards fell to the wayside.

Brad P

Enthusiast
I think you only need to assess the overall quality and activity of sites who try to engage in post exchanges to understand it's a low value method. To put it graciously, it builds a network of trash forums, each more dead than the next. (This is nothing personal against Soulwatcher who is a long time member of TAZ, but it is a critique against a tactic that isn't sustainable).

There are far more valuable ways of spending your time in the early days of the forum to build a genuine and sustained audience.

It's a disservice to the future of forums for TAZ to be condoning such legacy tactics.
I couldn't disagree more! I bought a domain last year April time and used exchange post tactics alot to get it going and it's got a solid foundation and organic traffic running to it with a steady amount of members. .

even in under a year have sold it to someone else who is taking it to the next level and now I'm embarking upon a new project and see how this one turns out.

Yes I'd agree that some people join and post in say a "game forum" and post a thread "count to 1000" this I do see as pointless as wasted content but you can also find some really good posters that put a little effort in.

Pete

Who would have thought that different forums serving different niches would have different needs and different marketing techniques?

Soulwatcher

Devotee
Yes I'd agree that some people join and post in say a "game forum" and post a thread "count to 1000" this I do see as pointless as wasted content but you can also find some really good posters that put a little effort in.
I agree and I would delete any forum game thread because it takes away from the quality of the forum. I have seen a few forums lately where the content is nothing but forum games and no content on the subject. I would rather get 0 posts than a forum full of forum games.

Joel R

Fan
I am all ears what would you recommend?
Are you a client of IPS, by the way? I thought I saw your avatar in the company forums. If so, welcome to the IPS community.

Now onto actual community management advice: Do you have an existing audience of immediate, direct followers?
  • If no, you need to build an audience.
  • If yes, then you're ready to launch
If you don't have an existing audience yet of immediate, direct followers, you probably need to rewind a little bit. You're launching your community too soon, which is a problem for a lot of early forums. You need to back up and start participating in other existing communities, groups, blogs, or other publishing mediums to gather up a group of followers who respect and like you. Even if you have dozens of followers, you should see if your comments, posts, or replies are enough to spark several other conversations. My recommended rule of thumb is that once you get 5 consistent posters to respond back to you, then you're ready to launch your own forum. Anything less, and your forum doesn't quite have enough critical mass to take off. Build a following first, then try to launch. That will give you a pre-built audience of users and members who already love interacting with you.

When you're doing this pre-launch work, it's a great opportunity to figure out what you can offer that is unfulfilled, or that you can do better. This is your chance to really investigate and define your community strategy. You must provide value that a user can't get anywhere else -- whether it be insightful analysis, research, case studies, access to resources, breaking news, whatever. The value can also be something as simple as humor, or better organization, or more comprehensive compilation, or even consistency in posting of new material, or news articles with your own unique and fun twist.

This is not meant to be easy. This should and will likely take several months. Starting a new forum requires you to really understand what value you can offer to a web that already has millions of other websites, and how you can define your community strategy to navigate through all of it. The web is maturing, and while it's still possible to launch a successful new forum, you really have to fight for attention now.

Good luck.

Joel R

Fan
I guest wrote about the CHIP process to building community demand, specifically before launching. While not all of the steps may be applicable, several of the steps are useful:

Pete

I would reiterate that this advice is not unilaterally true and does not apply to all niches. It *is* generally good advice for most of the more traditional forums especially if you are looking to be monetising from an “expert in the room” standpoint, but YMMV.

If I followed this advice, Floo Network would not be growing at all (as opposed to its current state of growth which might look small compared to traditional forums, but, again, different niches do behave differently)