HTML Looking for a new html editor, prefer WYSIWYG

craigForo

Enthusiast
It's time to get rid of my Dreamweaver standalone and replace it with another stand-alone. I prefer not to go cloud-based. Does anyone have any recommendations for an editor that is WYSIWYG that is a self-install?

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I honestly wouldn’t recommend any WYSIWYG editor for anything that is in any way not absolutely trivial. Even Word screws up the trivial stuff and that’s kind of the reason it even exists.

I may be biased, having recently hit year 23 of doing HTML but I’d still always do it by hand.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
I didn't realize DreamWeaver was still a thing. I remember fighting with that back in the 90's. You can check out Pinegrow. Not wysiwyg, but it has a visual editor and live preview to help you see what's happening. It has plenty of extras for pretty much any project you want.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Adobe Dreamweaver is cloud based but its very maintained these days only the price is high 21 dollars per month. You still install it on your pc it does not run on their systems. But you’ll pay 252 dollars a year. Its not bad because Dreamweaver was much more costly then that.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Either Webstorm or PHPstorm from Jetbrains, depending on how you used Dreamweaver.
Visual Studio Code could work better as its available on multiple platforms and can be extended to suit your needs.

Paradigms changed and WYSIWYG is no longer dominant. Part of the reason why is be that most modern editors now include some form of near-realtime rendering of the text-only code you write (not in the way people were used to from office suites), and the fact most modern code tends to require some preprocessing from server software and will not work in a WYSIWYG context.
With cloud-based software, users neednt bother about setting servers since they only need to have a preview and live executable copy of their code running in their browser.

craigForo

Enthusiast
Adobe Dreamweaver is cloud based but its very maintained these days only the price is high 21 dollars per month. You still install it on your pc it does not run on their systems. But you’ll pay 252 dollars a year. Its not bad because Dreamweaver was much more costly then that.
I never went to cloud-based solutions. I stuck to the self-install version 11 as long as I could. Kinda like getting pushed from the nest so to speak.

craigForo

Enthusiast
Either Webstorm or PHPstorm from Jetbrains, depending on how you used Dreamweaver.
Visual Studio Code could work better as its available on multiple platforms and can be extended to suit your needs.

Paradigms changed and WYSIWYG is no longer dominant. Part of the reason why is be that most modern editors now include some form of near-realtime rendering of the text-only code you write (not in the way people were used to from office suites), and the fact most modern code tends to require some preprocessing from server software and will not work in a WYSIWYG context.
With cloud-based software, users neednt bother about setting servers since they only need to have a preview and live executable copy of their code running in their browser.
Thank you for the thoroughly thought-out options with rationale, very helpful and thoughtful. thanks!

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
I never went to cloud-based solutions. I stuck to the self-install version 11 as long as I could. Kinda like getting pushed from the nest so to speak.
I was like you once but cloud solutions are becoming the norm these days. But Adobe is a hybrid solution you install and run it on our own pc and you can use it unlimited if you pay the subscription. The cloud is a small program you install that downloads and keep the programs you use up to date. Take Photoshop it once had a price tag of 700 dollars and updates where 75 dollars (so 5 to 5.5 when 6 released you payed full price again) Lichtroom betaalde je 300 dollar for. Now these two are bundled into one but can be run separately but the cost is 10 dollars a month so for Photoshop i can run 70 months (5 year and few months) for same price or 77 months if you also bought the updates. Dreamweaver is a outsider the savings is not that high subscription vs standalone is like 2 years at max, but you are always running latest version. Thats the best of cloud always up to date but still running everything on our own pc/mac.

p.s. Why not try the monthly plan for one or two months its 32 dollars a month if not happy cancel and try something else.

craigForo

Enthusiast
I was like you once but cloud solutions are becoming the norm these days. But Adobe is a hybrid solution you install and run it on our own pc and you can use it unlimited if you pay the subscription. The cloud is a small program you install that downloads and keep the programs you use up to date. Take Photoshop it once had a price tag of 700 dollars and updates where 75 dollars (so 5 to 5.5 when 6 released you payed full price again) Lichtroom betaalde je 300 dollar for. Now these two are bundled into one but can be run separately but the cost is 10 dollars a month so for Photoshop i can run 70 months (5 year and few months) for same price or 77 months if you also bought the updates. Dreamweaver is a outsider the savings is not that high subscription vs standalone is like 2 years at max, but you are always running latest version. Thats the best of cloud always up to date but still running everything on our own pc/mac.

p.s. Why not try the monthly plan for one or two months its 32 dollars a month if not happy cancel and try something else.
Nice thought, I might just try that!

R0binHood

Habitué
VSCode if you just want a text editor. Free and massive ecosystem.

If you're not much of a coder and want more of a WYSIWYG builder experience I've heard good things about Webflow. I've seen some incredible sites made by people who utilise it to it's max. It would probably be closest to a modern replacement to Dreamweaver, but a lot more capable.

davert

Adherent
These are nice solutions, but none seem particularly good at (a) importing existing sites, (b) making quick changes, and (c) letting me work offline. I might as well use bbedit.