Looking at creating a General Discussion forum

kingofdice66

Aspirant
Go do it man! See how it turns out for you. Don't listen to the naysayers, follow your heart! If it turns out to be a success, then great, if not, then you figure something out.

vikvaliant

Aspirant
I also think you should go for it because it doesn't appear you're risking much besides time.

I started with a general discussion BBS in the '90s and now have a niche site that's been running since 1999. Content and look-and-feel are very important to draw new members. But there is also member-created content that will become unique to your site over time. Relationships, cliques, drama, and a sense of community will drive traffic as much as content once you get a core base of users.

haqzore

Devotee
I also think you should go for it because it doesn't appear you're risking much besides time.

I started with a general discussion BBS in the '90s and now have a niche site that's been running since 1999. Content and look-and-feel are very important to draw new members. But there is also member-created content that will become unique to your site over time.
Starting a Gen Disc forum in the 90's is so, so very different than today.

Practically incomparable. Not even apples-to-oranges. More like apples-to-hippopotamus.

Relationships, cliques, drama, and a sense of community
Right. Things Facebook/Twitter/Reddit already have, while not mentioning all of additional functionality & billions of active users already using those platforms...

You're right about 1 thing - if time is the only investment, risk is minimized.

Last edited:

overcast

Adherent
I think if you put chit of chat of specific niche then that can be also end up as noise though. Like reddit and FB already has niche based noise.

Kyrie

Fan
Everyone here is right. You could enjoy tinkering with the software and if that is the start AND the end to your investment I'd say it's fine.

But there's not even an option here: You won't grow.