Login using phone number

I A 1

Enthusiast
Is there any forum that allows users to login/register using a phone number in addition to the standard username or email login?

Most of the social media networks allow that and this is something forums are still missing. Is there an easy way or an affordable way to add this feature?

Sprisa

Aspirant
Is there any forum that allows users to login/register using a phone number in addition to the standard username or email login?

Most of the social media networks allow that and this is something forums are still missing. Is there an easy way or an affordable way to add this feature?
You would need to pay for the number, or use some service

we_are_borg

Administrator
Its just a feature you can all ready login with Xenforo and IPS by email and username. The phone number should be just another field that can be used by the user to login.

live627

Adherent
Why would a forum need a phone number if not to send SMS messages? Not sure if following Twitter is the best idea here.

Pixel Princess

Enthusiast
Twilio is one of the communication companies that offers this service.

Twilio

I totally agree, I wouldn't share my phone number, not necessary. Email and username, for logging in, that's all you need.

There is a website that I'm a member of that will be going to this service for phone number login only. I already informed the website owner that once you switch to this service for phone number login only, that I will delete my account. No exceptions for me.

Stojan Tim

Participant
I think the angle many admins come at this from, is not trying to get your phone number for the sake of it, but rather because email has become so unreliable as a way to deliver forum emails, verification emails and so on, a mobile number would be better. There's also more security for a forum where members are verified by phone and not email*

I like the idea a lot from an admin point of view; however, there is no way I would like to give my mobile number to a random forum to join it, and as I won't inflict on my members things I would not do to myself, it's a non-starter for me.

Possibly if the whole modus operandi of your community was "quality, verified members" it could be accepted, but that would be specific to individual communities.

Or even, offer a "Verified" member tier and make it voluntary to verify by mobile.

* I also wonder if I have a false sense of security with mobile numbers and they're as easy to fake or spoof as email? SIM cards are given away free like sweets in the UK.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
I also wonder if I have a false sense of security with mobile numbers and they're as easy to fake or spoof as email? SIM cards are given away free like sweets in the UK.
Google Voice ring a bell? I don't know about now, but before it was REALLY easy to get one... but you did have to tie it back to a verified number. That way, you don't give out your paid number... and if you get to much "trash" from giving it out, you can always give it up and later get another one.

Oh!

Adherent
Twilio is one of the communication companies that offers this service.

Twilio

I totally agree, I wouldn't share my phone number, not necessary. Email and username, for logging in, that's all you need.

There is a website that I'm a member of that will be going to this service for phone number login only. I already informed the website owner that once you switch to this service for phone number login only, that I will delete my account. No exceptions for me.
Pixel Princess, od course the website could offer the option of using email instead. Maybe ask them to consider this?
Twilio is not cheap either.
For a subscription model, it could work. If you instead reply upon ads or optional premium services for income, those costs per (attempted) login could really add up and make it a nonviable option. Thought, of course, prices plummet per SMS message for high volume users. I can't imagine this will come into play for anyone here.

Without going through the documentation, I am not sure if your target website needs to hold your phone number. If they use a token system for the checks, it might be that the phone number is held only by Twilio. And if the account holder details are held only at the target website, this should offer pretty good anonymity.
On the other hand, as most here probably already realise, there are inherent problems with SMS when it comes to security.

haqzore

Devotee
These tangents about not wanting to share a phone # seem to have missed reading the entire post...

I'll emphasize for you:

Oh!

Adherent
These tangents about not wanting to share a phone # seem to have missed reading the entire post...

I'll emphasize for you:
Hi haqzore

I was responding to, specifically, Pixel Princess (by quoting and naming her), her comments about Twilio, and her intention to leave a forum because of their intention to rely exclusively upon phone numbers for logins. I take your point, but I don't understand why you singled out my post. Even somewhere like Quora, with it's emphasis upon answering the OP, allows for some deviation when responding to an earlier responder.

haqzore

Devotee
Hi haqzore

I was responding to, specifically, Pixel Princess (by quoting and naming her), her comments about Twilio, and her intention to leave a forum because of their intention to rely exclusively upon phone numbers for logins. I take your point, but I don't understand why you singled out my post. Even somewhere like Quora, with it's emphasis upon answering the OP, allows for some deviation when responding to an earlier responder.
I'm not sure what makes you think I singled out your post?

• Sad
Reactions: Oh!

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I'm not aware of any forum software that caters for a phone number as a login requirement. There are plenty of other social platforms that do, sometimes via a 3rd party plugin, but no forums that I know of.