List of reliable hosts

Dan18

Fan
For those of you running Digital Ocean droplets, do you mind sharing your specs? I am looking at adding one now but I'm not sure where to start in regards to RAM and CPU. My IPB site will be <500 members for at least the next few months.
At least 1GB ram.

Ummagumma

Adherent
For those of you running Digital Ocean droplets, do you mind sharing your specs? I am looking at adding one now but I'm not sure where to start in regards to RAM and CPU. My IPB site will be <500 members for at least the next few months.

I am with DO and have - 60GB SSD, 4GB RAM, Dual Core Xeon, Unlimited bandwidth - running Ubuntu with Virtualmin.
I pay £26 pcm, or $40 USD

Giant

Adherent
The first post of this thread needs updating maybe with links instead of just text to help the new admins out when looking for a new web hosting site. :tup:
I use HostGator a lot very fast support and hosting services seem great at the moment been with them for around 3-4 years now.

nickharper

Participant
I have just moved over to ukservers.com , saved myself a fair bit from my old host with a better server / network.

DylanYD

Young Democrat
I've used dozens of hosts over the years, but over the last few months I've moved many projects over to Rackspace and got their managed SysOps package, more expensive but if you're running a large portfolio of sites or sites you want to ensure everything goes perfect on I would highly recommend them. Even their normal managed service is still great. Most of the "managed" hosting I've used in the past just limit your ability to control your own servers and aren't very helpful when you need it, Rackspace has made me more lazy because they take care of issues very quickly and you can even call them up, tell them about an error or issue, and they'll fix it for you and let you know how they did it so you learn too if you want. I've never been happier with another host compared to Rackspace.

echo_unlimited

Participant
I've been using Stable Host for the past 3 years. They were a bit shaky at first, but they've got progressively better over the years.

guru777

Neophyte
tilaa.nl - cool vps provider with control panel, when you can starting, stopping and replay vps server.

Dewlance

Aspirant
Can we recommended our own company or members can only recommended other host?

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Can we recommended our own company or members can only recommended other host?
Recommending your own would be a 100% biased recommendation :) We prefer users of Hosting Providers to recommend as opposed to Hosting Providers themselves.

Hentai

Enthusiast
Anyone know of any managed hosts that use offer WHM/Cpanel managed service, 4 GB of ram, with a minimum of 50GB of HDD space?

Budget is around $80-ish a month, $100/mo if they offer Litespeed. KVM virtualization and US West or US Central location preferred but not required.

I have outgrown my current VPS and I figured Black Friday/Cyber Monday was a good weekend to shop around before committing to any upgrades on my current host.

Liam

Developer
Anyone know of any managed hosts that use offer WHM/Cpanel managed service, 4 GB of ram, with a minimum of 50GB of HDD space?

Budget is around $80-ish a month, $100/mo if they offer Litespeed. KVM virtualization and US West or US Central location preferred but not required.

I have outgrown my current VPS and I figured Black Friday/Cyber Monday was a good weekend to shop around before committing to any upgrades on my current host.

WiredTree (https://www.wiredtree.com/products/managed-vps/) comes close. $85/mo for a Pure SSD VPS with those specs, $89/mo for SSD-Accelerated RAID 10 VPS. I've used them before (a few years back when I still didn't know how to manage a server by my own), they're pretty quick to respond to stuff in case I had a couple of questions.

I'm pretty sure they're on OpenVZ though, but I may be wrong. It's been a while.

Hentai

Enthusiast
WiredTree (https://www.wiredtree.com/products/managed-vps/) comes close. $85/mo for a Pure SSD VPS with those specs, $89/mo for SSD-Accelerated RAID 10 VPS. I've used them before (a few years back when I still didn't know how to manage a server by my own), they're pretty quick to respond to stuff in case I had a couple of questions.

I'm pretty sure they're on OpenVZ though, but I may be wrong. It's been a while.

I did a lot of research and WiredTree and KnownHost are the only reputable hosts I found in this price range, neither of which use KVM visualization.

I did eventually find more KVM hosts but most of them are completely unmanaged and/or twice my budget. I just couldn't find a good middle-ground between super-premium host and super-budget host, (that used KVM) within my price range.

Edit: Saw WiredTree had a 33% Off Coupon on WebHostingTalk for Black Friday and jumped on it. That is a lot of VPS for not a lot of price. Got my LiteSpeed Webserver upgrade and still met my $80/mo budget!

Last edited:

geebee

Fan

ASO have your basic specs for $60 at the moment. I'm fairly sure there'll be a deal at the weekend ;)

AllanD

Habitué
Veerotech gets another post here, they have excellent support and great service.