List of reliable hosts

Adam

Habitué
Adam you forgot NameCheap.com in your list of domain registrar's and managed hosts. I have both with them (shared hosting + domains both yearly) and it is awesome! I know some people don't use them but they are definitely worth the money.

Definitely! They are awful.
I no longer use or suggest people depend on NameCheap.com as a primary domain register. They are usually the cheapest to register, but upon renewal I find they cost most. Further anytime I depended on them, I found my site always routed slower... Even when using an outside DNS.

The reason for this is unknown, but given that the sites were all using different host, geographical locations, and hosting types (managed, semi managed, unmanaged); and the improvement always happened when I transferred out... I was able to repeat this process repeatedly.

They're good for when you want to first register, but after that I usually transfer them out ASAP. So I guess they're good for getting an extra year at a discount (if you want to go through the trouble).

Done plenty of research of them, and that is why I'm still using them 7 years later. Had 0 issues or downtime with them, and the only time I've found people saying negative things is the pricing structure.
Small update... I found out I could use a 30 day trial with DNS Made Easy. I may have to rethink my original stance. Things seem to have improved since I last used them (2 years ago).

Last edited by a moderator:

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
VPS:

NimbusHosting
Linode

Shared:

WebFaction
A Small Orange

Regarding the above talk of domain names, I tend to stick to Gandi.net or name.com for all my domains.

R44

Asperger's Network? Absolutely.
I'm just going to add another host - Micron21.

Muzz

Participant
ImagineLayer hosting - I actually spoke to a helpful human being today on live chat, and not a robotic generic text talking monkey.

I can't recommend them highly enough!

Deimos

Devotee
If I had the money and wanted UK based hosting, I would use RackSrv
I do work for the company, but I also paid for and used a VPS with them for about a year and a half.
But like nearly every UK company, you do pay a fair bit more than you would in say, the EU or USA.

If I had the money and wanted UK based hosting, I would use RackSrv
I do work for the company, but I also paid for and used a VPS with them for about a year and a half.
But like nearly every UK company, you do pay a fair bit more than you would in say, the EU or USA.
I was with you for a couple of months before I moved to a dedicated
https://mattwservices.co.uk/reviews/racksrv.2/

R44

Asperger's Network? Absolutely.
ImagineLayer hosting - I actually spoke to a helpful human being today on live chat, and not a robotic generic text talking monkey.

I can't recommend them highly enough!
That probably would have been Leyton. He's pretty good at what he does, eh?

Will_Watts

Habitué
Managed:

http://www.urljet.com/ - Forum specific hosting, excellent support with hourly backups and cPanel. Prices aren't cheap for shared hosting, but it's not typical shared hosting - We're on a highly optimized 16 Core server running Litespeed Enterprise - outperforms any VPS I've used (including surviving DDOS attacks that we only noticed due to high activity in the logs, the server didn't flinch). To get similar service and support elsewhere we'd be paying a lot more.

UK hosting - https://www.tsohost.com/ - very cheap, very high level of support. Looking through my previous support tickets, average response time has been between 2-10 minutes.