List of Notable XF Developers

sbjsbj

Fan
Occasionally people ask about developers and what addons to obtain.
I thought I create a small summary explaining the scene.
You can browse their catalogues and decide for yourself what you would need out of those or would find essential.

No offense intented to anyone and sorry if I forgot to mention some key names. Obviously there are a lot of devs on XF, I can't list all of them or remember all of them. I tried to stick to those names who are around for a long time now (and are reliable).
I left designers / theme developers out. I may maintain this list over time and update it occasionally. You may disagree with my list, which is fine of course. This list is a representation of my opinion and views.

Best developer:

Xon is the best developer XF has right now. He has a lot of useful free addons and a lot of paid ones (Essential series). What makes him the best is his technical knowledge and on top of that he is 100% reliable and is constantly providing support for every of his addons.

Best support (in my experience):

au lait, but he is leaving XF and his feature-rich addons can't be bought anymore. Still wanted to mention him, as he delivered the best support for 4-5 years straight up with very useful free and paid addons.

Best price-performance

Snog (lifetime licenses)

Best subscription:

AndyB's whole arsenal can be accessed for 35$ (1 year). Most of them are low tier addons, but all of them are useful in their own way and fill a niche need.

Feature-rich addon makers:

Bob (one of the best support and his addons probably have the most features across all devs)
Jaxel (his support lacks a lot, but his addons are full with key features)
DragonByte Tech (well, thought a lot if I should include them or not; at the end I decided to be fair, so giving them credit for their work, nevertheless, both owners are convicted pedos)

List of notable addon devs who are active for a long time with key addons (like 1-3 addons with feature-rich stuff nobody else provides)

Siropu
Nobita
XCentral
ThemeHouse
AddonsLab
XFA

Underrated devs

Sim
CMTV

Best Newcomers

Mr. Jinx
AddonFlare
XDinc
Banxix

Missing! Nowhere to be found... (not much around anymore)

batpool52!
Nixfifty
xfrocks
Liam W

Worth mentioning

JoshyPHP (probably the best free addon out there)

Last edited:

R0binHood

Habitué
Sonnb is also excellent, unfurtunately has gone kind of AWOL the last 2 years since XF2 came out.

sbjsbj

Fan
Busy for working for my customers :p
Maybe my wording was wrong. In that case it makes you not missing of course, but I believe you haven't released much addons since 2.0 launched like before. And my list is more about places you can acquire addons, wasn't really listing custom development places. Maybe I should expand the list to also list devs who do solely custom developments in private. Sorry about that, we miss you.

Sonnb is also excellent, unfurtunately has gone kind of AWOL the last 2 years since XF2 came out.
Exactly, that is why I left him out. His Gallery could have been a big competition against the official MG, but I believe he realized he has a big disadvantage going on. Competing against an official addon must be very hard.

Dryline

Neophyte
It’s your list and you’ve done a great job. IMHO, I’d have to nudge Theme House and Siropu up a notch. Siropu kind of came out of nowhere and built his reputation rather quickly and fixes bugs regularly. He’s a trooper for sure.

TH has a good variety of addons, but seem like they’re becoming a developer for larger websites like corporations. They do provide good support especially for themes, which seem to be their specialty. I also think a lot of owners swear by Arty’s themes. Perhaps he’s in the list somewhere and I missed him.

xfrocks has some really good addons such as [bd] Data and Attachment Storage, and Cache. He seems to get a bad rap for his support which at times it seems he is MIA. I cannot fault him though because the few times I’ve needed help he’s come to the rescue. Rather than go back and forth in support threads where someone has called him to the carpet, I believe he prefers to access an owners install so he can see for himself. He loved it when I setup Team Viewer with unattended access, so he could login and fix the issues that were causing problems. Since he’s halfway around the world with huge time zone differences just nail down a time window and login to all systems he’ll need. Works like a charm!

Alfa1

Administrator
He seems to get a bad rap for his support which at times it seems he is MIA. I cannot fault him though because the few times I’ve needed help he’s come to the rescue.
Yes, he is a developer of repute, but unfortunately I have been waiting since August 2018 for help or a solution with the 140k broken attachments the bd attachments addon caused.
https://xfrocks.com/other/threads/bd-attachment-store-for-xenforo-1-paid.58/page-16#post-6281

I dont think I will be able to upgrade to XF2 before fixing that one.

sbjsbj

Fan
Siropu kind of came out of nowhere and built his reputation rather quickly and fixes bugs regularly. He’s a trooper for sure.
He just has to few major addons which is why I couldn't list him under the feature-rich list. He has, like other, 1-3 significant addons and the rest are small stuff. In his case his ad manager and chat addons seem to be really good. But again, too few of those big caliber ones.

TH has a good variety of addons, but seem like they’re becoming a developer for larger websites like corporations.
That is exactly my impression, too. They give barely any love to their addons. We are peanuts compared to those larger sites who acquire probably all-around treatment with addons, design, custom stuff, elite support etc.

Perhaps he’s in the list somewhere and I missed him.
As I said in my initial post, I haven't listed any designers/theme developers. I have no experience with them so I didn't want to include them. There are 5-6 names I can think of which would be in the list otherwise.

xfrocks has some really good addons such as [bd] Data and Attachment Storage, and Cache.
He may have, he was the best developer early in XF1 times. But he disappeared years ago and is like online every month or sth. His XF2 addons aren't even listet on XF.

Last edited:

Dryline

Neophyte
Yes, he is a developer of repute, but unfortunately I have been waiting since August 2018 for help or a solution with the 140k broken attachments the bd attachments addon caused.
https://xfrocks.com/other/threads/bd-attachment-store-for-xenforo-1-paid.58/page-16#post-6281

I dont think I will be able to upgrade to XF2 before fixing that one.
I’ve reviewed that thread from October of last year and speaking on behalf of xfrocks it wasn’t for a lack of his trying to resolve the issue. He responded multiple times, yet your issue remains. I’d set him up on Team Viewer and let him fix it for you. Heck, you can even watch to see what he does. If he finds a bug he’ll update the software and it will be a benefit to everyone else who may be struggling with the same issue, but aren’t as well versed as you are in explaining the situation at hand.

Alfa1

Administrator
It was first reported on august 1st.
He responded multiple times, yet your issue remains.
After reporting the issue he asked a few questions and these were answered, no effort was made to fix it. No response on skype for many months. I have just tried again. It would be great if he replies now, but after so many tries I do not have high hopes. Its a shame because xfrocks has contributed a lot of good addons to xf and his support was good. Now support is spotty at best. I hope he comes back.

DaveL

Habitué
I've experience a mixed bag, espeically when upgrading to XF2

Some developers are down right rude.
Some are absoutely amazing ( Snog )
Some are just clueless

Some that are not add-on developers have saved the day! ( Russ )

I'm a patient person, never badger. However some developers just don't like you asking questions - Well put the details in your add-on description!

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass

sanction9

Enthusiast
He just has to few major addons which is why I couldn't list him under the feature-rich list. He has, like other, 1-3 significant addons and the rest are small stuff. In his case his ad manager and chat addons seem to be really good. But again, too few of those big caliber ones.
His chat addon is in fact very feature rich and he's frequently updating it. I imagine that all by itself it represents a lot of work, both the initial development and the work he continues to put in to it.

The problem with most of the devs who have lots of addons is that the majority of their addons never get any attention aside from the occasional bug fix or updates to make them compatible with some other popular addons or XF updates - and those don't always happen quickly! And those devs will also often add more paid addons offering features that it would make perfect sense for them to add instead to their already existing addons - you know, the ones you already paid for. Not that it's up to me or anyone else to decide how they do things - they have to do what they have to do to make a living - but just pointing out that those numbers (number of addons) might not be quite so numerous if they ever just added some more features here and there to their already existing addons rather than constantly churning out new ones. It might sometimes work out better in the long run for them, too, if they concentrated on putting more work into existing addons, but that's a whole other discussion....

sbjsbj

Fan
His chat addon is indeed powerful, I agree and the other notable one is his ads manager.

But when I evaluated about the addon developers, I took into consideration how many big addons they have. That was the deciding factor for my list.

Seeing the latest addons, I think I should move up the ladder for ThemeHouse. But I cannot edit my post.

About how devs approach their addons. That is another discussion. I agree with you mostly, but nothing we can do about it.

sanction9

Enthusiast
Seeing the latest addons, I think I should move up the ladder for ThemeHouse. But I cannot edit my post.
I think they kind of illustrate my point, though. Their Topics addon, for example, which I would consider a "big" addon, was released several months ago and has been pretty much dead in the water ever since. There was some talk of plans for making some major feature additions to it, but I'm wondering if anything will really happen with it before my one-year subscription has run out, if ever. Their Reaction Plus addon still hasn't even reached feature parity with the old version yet after several months. I know that in that case it's largely down to XF 2 core Reaction changes making former modifications more difficult for them to do now, but the one major thing they did manage to re-add back in the beginning of May, the ability to see user reaction scores with a widget, still doesn't work correctly. And I understand things from their perspective - they can't afford to devote a lot of time to (their many) addons that aren't making them any money - but from a customer perspective, you need to ask yourself if you're happy with the addon exactly as it is when you're buying it, if it's money well spent. If it does everything you want it to at the time of purchase, then you got what you paid for and can't really complain, I guess. Just realize that when you pay for a year of "updates," those updates might very well only include the occasional bug and compatibility fix.

All of which is not meant to pick on Themehouse, but since you brought them up... I guess my only real point is that, on balance, someone who only has a few major addons but listens to feedback from customers and implements feature requests by adding many of them to their already existing addons, few though they be, might in some cases be preferable to deal with, rather than someone who has lots of addons that are sold "as is" and never grow beyond that. But of course you don't usually have a lot of choice in these matters, you have to get what you need where you can.

sbjsbj

Fan
I agree with you in every point. TH guys don't give love to their addons in general. They are too busy to cater big clients and to design sites.
In their case, you have to go with the "what you see is what you get approach".
Technically speaking, I mean when you buy an addon, you shouldn't expect more than that. But I think all customers wish secretly, that some of the stuff they want to see gets added somehow. This is why Bob is very successfull for example. You can rely on the developer to at least make enhancements, which you don't see much from TH guys. It is what it is.

This was why for me au lait had the one of the best supports. He was constantly updating his addons implementing customer wishes. And he had a lot of big addons, very sad that he departed. And it seems Sirupo is also one of those guys.

But just to be fair, my list didn't evaluate the quality of the addon developers support and work. I just listed overall which ones provide big addons and which one niche ones etc.Some in that list also can have poor coding techniques, again, I didn't evaluate any of those.