Link Exchanges and Promotion Sites - Are they worth your time?

saberry

Participant
saberry submitted a new Article:

I'll start of with the positive aspect of link exchanges:

If exchanges are done with other similar or related sites, you can get quality target traffic. Volume is good, but only if it is target traffic. You want visitors who are looking for what you are offering. Ten visitors from a quality link source may give you 8 who join. This is far better than getting 100 visitors of unqualified traffic with few or none who join. Link exchanges with unrelated sites may bring some visitors but not the kind you are looking for.

Another positive to some people is that link exchanging with sites with a higher Google page rank than your site may help to increase your sites pr. HOWEVER pretty much every reputable SEO expert now says that pr is a useless valuation of a site and does little to nothing to improve your SERP's.

The negative to link exchanges are:

If done with unrelated sites, link exchanges can lower your SERP's...that's right, when Google sees you advertising and link exchanging with sites totally unrelated to your subject, it can actually lower the value of your site in search results.

Also many people do exchanges with other sites that are considered "link farms." A link farm is a site that basically exists for the purpose of exchanging links with other sites. They think the more links the better, but as stated above, this is not the case. If Google sees your site as a link farm doing multiple exchanges with a bunch of junk sites, this can also negatively affect your SERP. In some cases Google may even ban your site - not something the up and coming webmaster wants to deal with!

Too many link exchanges, and multiple unrelated link exchanges also lowers your credibility with users. If you are simply looking at increasing your numbers without paying attention to what kind of members you are attracting, you may end up with lots of users who don't have any interest in the success of your site. You often end up with other people joining your site just so you will joint theirs - most often a fruitless exchange.

Okay, on to the Directories / Forum Promotion sites. I'm grouping these together because in most cases, they are one and the same.

A site whose purpose is to list and promote other sites. The idea being that people will visit this directory site, see your forum listing and be compelled to visit your site.

I think it is rare that this would work....

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Secure

Adherent
Very true. I see some people spend so much time advertising their forums and not understanding that they must use effective advertising to get people to join. Not just submit it everywhere they can find.

rcb

Aspirant
agree.. Link building is different from Quality Link building.

tinybikinisguy

Neophyte
I think link exchanges work best when you actually know the person and meet them in person. Don't just exchange links, write a whole article review and a dedicated web page on his or her site and in exchange you do the same for them.

If your dealing with blogs then dedicate a whole blog post as a review and in exchange have them do one for you as well.

Good luck to all in your exchanges. :)

parisapartment

Aspirant
I think link exchanges work best when you actually know the person and meet them in person. Don't just exchange links, write a whole article review and a dedicated web page on his or her site and in exchange you do the same for them.

This is not a bad idea actually. I've always found that exchanging links with someone in your niche who you've built up some kind of relationship with is far better than a bog standard "link exchange".

urvi88

Neophyte
Thanks for such good information. Submission in related site is so much important. Other hand Always get backlinks from good quality sites only.

Witty4u

Neophyte
what you said i think it is right ,because quality is more important then number of links ,if you take 2 quality link in place of 10 worst link it more effect on your ranking

harrry555

Neophyte
Professional Link building

Professional Link building is good way to promote your site.

Blogdawg

Neophyte
Link exchanges are sort of back in vogue if done correctly. Links from giant links pages or unrelated sites do you no good at all. But Google actually encourages you to link to quality resources related to your market and inturn, they can and should link back to you.

jamie11

Aspirant
I think both are important for site ranking and page rage rank also. Because back links are still very important.

carlowen

Participant
Definitely, Backlinks are really important for a website. It is seen that Google keeps on changing it's Algorithm but the importance of Backlinks is still the same or it can also be said that it has increased. Also, as for now, it cannot be said that the Importance of Backlinks will decrease in Future. However, it might be possible that the Importance of Backlinks increases in Future and hence it is important to build more and more Backlinks for your website.

seo_consultant

Neophyte
I think link exchanges should be saved for special occasions. Quality sites are great to link to, and if they link back that is great.

jimzaptech

Neophyte
Link exchange give you a good SERP result if it done in proper manner with google webmaster guideline.