Just migrated from GoDaddy to ProStack

Splinter2

Participant
And the difference is night and day quite frankly, on two fronts.
The technical support at ProStack during the migration was a one-to-one, tailored experience that more recently I haven't been accustomed to, especially from GoDaddy.
I'm not knocking them, but in the end, you get what you pay for.
Secondly, the speed. All my sites, particularly the forum, now load in a flash and the difference is very noticeable and in a nice way! Even the forum members commented on it.
One of the main reasons for moving was the lack of a roadmap from GoDaddy with regard to their systems updates, in particular, the MySQL server (5.6) which in the end became incompatible with WoltLab's latest release, 5.4.2.
We moved all eight of my domains and the entire operation was completed within a couple of hours, with constant updates from the support team.
This has definitely been one of my better decisions.
:)

DigNap15

Fan
I did not know that Domain Name Servers affect your speed
is that true?

What do they actually do to earn your money?

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I did not know that Domain Name Servers affect your speed
is that true?
Somewhat. The first time you visit a site, your computer has to go find out the IP address (or your ISP does) but once it has an IP address, chances are this will be stored locally at multiple stops between your machine, the ISP and the intermediate networks, so that it mostly only affects the speed for your first visit to a site in a while.

Splinter2

Participant
This morning was a perfect example of customer support done well.
I had an issue with likes/reactions not appearing when clicked in our forum and the solution was to change a php extension. Prostack handled it within less than ten minutes and the problem was fixed.
The same problem through GoDaddy would have been a very lengthy exercise, if indeed it could even have been fixed with them.

DigNap15

Fan
This morning was a perfect example of customer support done well.
I had an issue with likes/reactions not appearing when clicked in our forum and the solution was to change a php extension. Prostack handled it within less than ten minutes and the problem was fixed.
The same problem through GoDaddy would have been a very lengthy exercise, if indeed it could even have been fixed with them.
Does php have anything to do with Domain Name Servers?

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
It shouldn't do; DNS is the bit that converts the domain name into an IP address so your computer can talk to the server, PHP happens once your request gets to the server.

Klaatu

Fan
I used to make some money optimizing slow websites, about 90% of them were hosted on either GoDaddy or HostGator.

Avery

Aspirant
I’ve ironically done the same due to WoltLab increasing their MySQL requirements and GoDaddy’s Business Hosting plans not supporting it with no known timeline on when they even would. I switched from GoDaddy (where my community was getting on average 600-700ms load times and once a week for a day it would spike to 1100-1300ms load times for an unknown reason) to Linode using a dedicated plan and paying a fraction of the cost, for now load times of 150-280ms and I manage everything to allow for things to run as fast as possible.