Jumping back in... so what Software to use? XF or IPB?

StateDOG

New Beginnings...
Full disclosure, I used to run a forum powered by Invision and loved it. My last version was 2.0.2 I think. So it's been quite a while. But it's time to jump back into the game and I'm trying to decide what software to use. XenForo wasn't a player back then when I was into it. I like the look/feel of xF at first glance, but know IPB is quite powerful as well. So I assume the themes are pretty customizable and flexible.

One kicker is that I can renew Invision with an easy payment (is it $25 or $35?) whereas I'd be buying XenForo with a brand new license.

SO.... for a straight forward community forum w/o needing all the extra bells and whistles for a while, does one make more sense than the other for someone who has some history with forums, but been out of the forum admin game for a few years? Any certain features that stand out for one over the other?

we_are_borg

Administrator
If you have an IPS license i would use that one both are great to use and both have strenght and weaknesses. IPS renewal fee is 25 dollars (6months or 50 for 12 months) for forum only. In forum is now also groups so you have a little extra you can use.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
XF ships barebone by default. All extra functionalty from addons is not supported by the XF devs, and you'll have to handle every addon separately (wether its updates, support lifecycles or *extra* paid support renewals). They'll also have different coding standards and quality. XF is handy as a simple *starting point*.

In compareason, IPB ships with a lot of functionalty, all supported by the company. Effectively, it removes the need to install a large number of addons on XF to match it. It also comes with many functions benefitial to webmasters and integrators, like antispam/reputation service and a general mobile app.

If you want a really simple board with few addons, XF.
Want more or extra possibility to grow, but not the headaches of multiplying failure points, IPB got you covered with its vendor's 'all covered' support for the code it ships that needs few to no addons installed.
If you're uncertain, just know that while XF boards would map adequately onto IPB in migration conversions, IPB includes features and implementations that are not available in other scripts except as 3rd-party addons so migrating away from IPB can be troublesome if your community gets used to features like social groups/clubs.

Russ

Administrator
I'd request demos for both to see what you like.

That being said, if I had a license that just needed a renewal, I'd probably lean towards that one.

StateDOG

New Beginnings...
If you have an IPS license i would use that one both are great to use and both have strenght and weaknesses. IPS renewal fee is 25 dollars (6months or 50 for 12 months) for forum only. In forum is now also groups so you have a little extra you can use.
I'll have do dig into the Groups function. It wasn't there last time I was neck deep in IPB.
I think you answered your own question. :)
I think I may have! haha. Saving $$ is helpful for sure. I recognize both are recognized as the top dogs.
In comparison, IPB ships with a lot of functionality, all supported by the company. Effectively, it removes the need to install a large number of addons on XF to match it. It also comes with many functions benefitial to webmasters and integrators, like antispam/reputation service and a general mobile app.
This may be one of the key factors..... Thanks for the info here.
I'd request demos for both to see what you like.

That being said, if I had a license that just needed a renewal, I'd probably lean towards that one.
Before going to sleep last night I signed up for each demo. Been a full day w/ work and all, but should dive into them a little more deeply tonight.

\o/

an oddity
IPS/IPB is even a great idea if you only want to use the forum module. It might be more expensive than the pure xenForo software, but it has an awesome theme and more features than you will ever need, according to what you wrote.

borbole

Adherent
Full disclosure, I used to run a forum powered by Invision and loved it. My last version was 2.0.2 I think. So it's been quite a while. But it's time to jump back into the game and I'm trying to decide what software to use. XenForo wasn't a player back then when I was into it. I like the look/feel of xF at first glance, but know IPB is quite powerful as well. So I assume the themes are pretty customizable and flexible.

One kicker is that I can renew Invision with an easy payment (is it $25 or $35?) whereas I'd be buying XenForo with a brand new license.

SO.... for a straight forward community forum w/o needing all the extra bells and whistles for a while, does one make more sense than the other for someone who has some history with forums, but been out of the forum admin game for a few years? Any certain features that stand out for one over the other?

If you loved your 2.0.2. Ipb, you are going to super love their latest version. It is simply amazing. What is your forum going to be about? If you are looking for a complete all powerful package, I would say go with Ipb. You will not regret it. Once can never go worng with Ipb.

If you want something simple to start off instead, go with xF or WoltlaB. They will both do nicely for a starter forum.

Anyways, good luck with your new forum.

StateDOG

New Beginnings...
If you loved your 2.0.2. Ipb, you are going to super love their latest version. It is simply amazing. What is your forum going to be about? If you are looking for a complete all powerful package, I would say go with Ipb. You will not regret it. Once can never go worng with Ipb.

<snip>

Anyways, good luck with your new forum.
Thanks for the encouragement. The forum is going to be about high school sports + college sports in Mississippi.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
That sounds like it might have uses for IPS Clubs functionality...

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I don't have the greatest handle on US sport - not being from the US and not really liking sport! - but I could see a variety of ways you could carve out groups within the forum populace, whether you wanted to give people spaces for specific regions/counties or spaces for specific sports, depending on the scope of what you're trying to do.

The Clubs feature is similar to vBulletin of old's groups feature - instead of having specific forum boards for things, you can re-present it as a club with its own space.