Java to PHP?

Revios

Aspirant
Hi there, I was talking with my friend the other day, and he told me that PHP was WAY better than Java and that I should switch. So I was just wondering what would you guys suggest, or believe I should do?

batpool52!

send nukes
It depends on what platform you want to work on. You can't create a web page using just java nor you cant create desktop application using php.

Danielx64

Developer
Well I was forced to learn java at tafe/collage and I didn't like it at all. Beside Java is going down hill anyway.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
PHP, fortunately, lets you get away with quick and dirty sloppy code. Great for throwing together small apps for misc functions.

PHP, unfortunately, lets you get away with quick and dirty sloppy code. Horrible for extending code, maintaining code, taking over someone else's project, reading your own code years later, etc.

It can be coded structurally, or OO. Java, C++, C, C# and PHP all have similar syntax, so learning one is very easy if you already know another.

Revios

Aspirant
PHP, fortunately, lets you get away with quick and dirty sloppy code. Great for throwing together small apps for misc functions.

PHP, unfortunately, lets you get away with quick and dirty sloppy code. Horrible for extending code, maintaining code, taking over someone else's project, reading your own code years later, etc.

It can be coded structurally, or OO. Java, C++, C, C# and PHP all have similar syntax, so learning one is very easy if you already know another.

Alrighty, I appreciate the reply!

Robust

Developer
PHP is different but I went from Java to PHP and I'm 'OK' fluent in PHP. Honestly, when you have one language learnt well enough the principles are the same throughout them all. It's more about syntax and learning the resources available to you.

batpool52! Can't make a website just in PHP either in that case. Java is just as capable of making a website. It's just more iffy than PHP. I'm not a big fan of Java.

Robust

Developer
What can you advise for beginner to learn? java or php?
Depends on what you want to do. Both are 'beginner friendly' languages. If you ask me, Java is way in the past and is kinda outdated. PHP is still very active but at some point in the future is probably going to get replaced by more 'dynamic' languages. I'd think that JavaScript is the way the web programming industry is moving forward, things like nodejs, angularjs, mean js... JavaScript is definitely something every web developer should know at this point. But PHP can't make a desktop application, obviously. So yeah, depends on your wants.

rafalp

Desu Ex
If you have solid CS background and know Java, you'll have no problem landing solid paid job in IT. And don't buy that "Java's on the way out" talk. Amount of money that was invested into it is well into billions. That growth will slow down as other languages will chip it away, but its not going away anytime.

But if you don't have background, experienced PHP devs with Symfony/Laravel/Zend can also earn pretty penny, albeit competition here is tighter.