It's hard to delete a FB group

evcom

Participant
You can run a script that removes every user one by one. Its available on a few sites.
Thanks for this tip. :tup: Very useful. I've found it as a Chrome extension. It does all the work for you and removes member by member every 2 - 7 seconds, or at a custom interval.

Fyuri

Neophyte
I manage a few FB groups, some are stagnating in activity others, are thriving. As I do not really support the business model of FB and their practices, I am thinking to close/delete some groups, eventually perhaps all.

Looking at how to delete a group, I found out that this is rather complicated. In short: The bigger the group, the harder it will get to delete it because each member has to be removed from the group individually before the admin can remove itself > group deleted!

This way Facebook puts in deliberately obstacles, so to retain bigger groups a long as possible. My take is, that many admins of larger groups (that would delete the group if there was a delete button), are not deleting, just because it would a large amount of time to do so.

Is there an alternative? Contacting Facebook and asking them to delete the group should be an option. Has anyone tried this? Are current data protection laws (at least in EU), covering this case? I am curious about your take.
i had several groups before being banned on fb. i had a second account there. when banned, i was able to let the co-leaders of my group know. they became the new owners of the group. all i had to do to get banned, with no warnings or anything, was post a video they didn't want the world to see.
they claimed i "violated community rules". however, i did delete several groups before that, but no one was on them. i didn't have to remove anyone from them, i just archived them.
had i not turned over ownership to people i had named co-leaders, the groups would not have been deleted. instead, leadership in the groups would have been offered to other members.

evcom

Participant
I prefer to be able to delete the group in a "normal" manner. No need to use methods as described above. It can be easily done with a browser extension that removes all members automatically.

PeacefulMind

Aspirant
If you delete every member and than every post it allows you to delete a group instead of archiving.

KimmiKat

Adherent
Watching The Social Dilemma on Netflix will shed some light on how the big tech works.