It is possible to launch a forum and be a hit!

DaveL

Habitué
I started a forum on a whim the other day and it turned out to be a hit!

Just over a week in and already have 72 members making 485 posts in 68 threads.

Just goes to show that if you get the niche right, it is possible to start a successful forum!

http://www.AirportCityGame.com

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
Hi Dave, good seeing you again!

It looks interesting.. like your site is providing service for a game in function? That's the best site of site to build in these days... something in direct response to a contemporary need.

Congratulations on the good eye.

Can you tell us more about this game and how your community has become successful supporting it. Share share share how all this happened!

Cheers

:)

gogo

DaveL

Habitué
Hi gogo,

Its an android game called Airport City (there is a facebook version as well)

Its one of those very addictive games where you run the airport, sending planes to various places collecting items to build new shops/houses etc.

A few weeks ago the developers added a function where you could send one item to other players every day. I thought it would make life a lot easier if there was somewhere you could go to request what item you want and in return repay the favour.

After a few drinks I thought "Ah go on then!" paid £5 for the domain, installed MyBB and stuck a post up on the facebook group. To my surprise the members kept joining and posting!

As is often said in these forums, there needs to be a niche and a need for a forum. If you get both of them right, people will join. As you can see, im still using the default MyBB theme, so it dosent matter whether you you spend a fortune on design - no niche and no need = no success.

If the forum continues to grow, then i'll hunt out my spare IPB licence and convert it over.

Namorat

Duder
First congratulations. It is good to see your forum started well off.
Second, though, I believe a forum needs to be up and active for a longer time to consider it a real hit.

As gogo said, fulfilling contemporary needs is a good way to start big and active, but as the word also says, it is not necessarily a lasting effect. Many things that are a trend and the new hit are overcome by the next big thing in a short months. This is most often true regarding technical stuff, especially video games, I think.

With no more input from that original source the forum usually have to shift to a broader audience or change its focus a lot.

Rarely this transition works great with forums. Forums about video games change towards games about the whole series (if there is one) or gaming in general eventually.
It doesn't happen often that a forum about a series that wasn't a huge success to begin with and is not really new anymore gets big as gogo managed.
Those cases need a lot of luck and heart blood put into them.

DaveL

Habitué
Eden, Dont get me wrong, im not saying my forum is a major success, I was just highlighting the fact that with the right niche and the need its still possible to start up an active community.

Every few weeks new challenges for the game are released that require cooperation between members to succeed. This is partly why my site has become popular in such a short amount of time.

The downside being if the developers ever decide to stop the game, but currently with over 1 million people that have downloaded the game and it being the developers most succesful, I cant see that happening for quite some time.

Namorat

Duder
Eden, Dont get me wrong, im not saying my forum is a major success, I was just highlighting the fact that with the right niche and the need its still possible to start up an active community.

Every few weeks new challenges for the game are released that require cooperation between members to succeed. This is partly why my site has become popular in such a short amount of time.

The downside being if the developers ever decide to stop the game, but currently with over 1 million people that have downloaded the game and it being the developers most succesful, I cant see that happening for quite some time.
That looks really promising, then :) I have never played any game on facebook.
I apologise if I sounded as if I tried to rebuke you or anything like that. I have the very bad habit to use threads like yours to post stuff like my latest post to tell new forum admins somethings ^^ Those who read of your great start and don't think of the possible problems for example...

Sorry :hiding:

DaveL

Habitué
That looks really promising, then :) I have never played any game on facebook.
I apologise if I sounded as if I tried to rebuke you or anything like that. I have the very bad habit to use threads like yours to post stuff like my latest post to tell new forum admins somethings ^^ Those who read of your great start and don't think of the possible problems for example...

Sorry :hiding:
Haha, no worries - no offence taken.

I thought I would post about it so hopefully people looking at starting a forum can see that it is still possible in this day and age, but generic is out, niche is in.

Those problems you raised are very valid points and certainly something I have already considered. The developers of this game have a handful of other games out as well which kind of tie in. Ive got lots of ideas for future expansion, however at the moment just taking things as they come. Ive got the target of 150 members before I start looking at changing/adding things.

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
Hi gogo,

Its an android game called Airport City (there is a facebook version as well)

Its one of those very addictive games where you run the airport, sending planes to various places collecting items to build new shops/houses etc.

A few weeks ago the developers added a function where you could send one item to other players every day. I thought it would make life a lot easier if there was somewhere you could go to request what item you want and in return repay the favour.

After a few drinks I thought "Ah go on then!" paid £5 for the domain, installed MyBB and stuck a post up on the facebook group. To my surprise the members kept joining and posting!

As is often said in these forums, there needs to be a niche and a need for a forum. If you get both of them right, people will join. As you can see, im still using the default MyBB theme, so it dosent matter whether you you spend a fortune on design - no niche and no need = no success.

If the forum continues to grow, then i'll hunt out my spare IPB licence and convert it over.

I loved this read! It sounds like yer in the exact time for this to happen... the now...and yer the only one in the game...what a fantastic url you have too. I just googled it and bling...there you are. Are there any other sites out there for doing this, bigger than yours, or are you the first one, therefore the one that's gonna be the THE airport city game site forum?

So exciting!

:banana:

gogo

DaveL

Habitué
Thanks gogo :)

Having a look around online, theres one other airport city forum which is a freeboard and has only a few threads. Apart from that were the largest airport city forum around.

Hopefully we will continue to grow, were getting around 10 new registrations a day at the moment.

o2webtech

Neophyte
Hi, That is really good and congratulations to you. Use online marketing techniques to make it more popular.

tbofram

That cool member
your site actually looks really good, i wish you the best with your venture and i wish you further success in your forum

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Its very possible :)

I partnered up with the National Skywarn Website and launched by Skywarn Forum as the official forum for the organization, got about 100 new members in just a few hours. :) I get about 5 new registrations a day and the number of premium members is increasing as well. My Illinois Skywarn forum is also the largest Illinois Skywarn site online. My Chaser Update site is the largest storm chasing social network online. You just have to tap into those specialized niches and give people something they have never seen. :)

DaveL

Habitué
Thanks for the reply.

Due to the amount of spam bots I was getting with MyBB and had to spend ages deleting, I took the plunge last night and converted over to IPB.

So far so good!

wizard1974uk

Tazmanian Gremlin
I would say it's possible to turn any forum into a hit, just that with some niches it's going to take a lot more time.

Some people do a lot of research, some are just lucky and stumble across a hit. :)

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
Thanks for the reply.

Due to the amount of spam bots I was getting with MyBB and had to spend ages deleting, I took the plunge last night and converted over to IPB.

So far so good!

Dave, MYbb doesn't have TrueQuestion...where a new member has to answer a "true" question that only a real human would know? I'm on IPB, and it's only that true question that kept out bots, in fact no bot every gets through now unless a human registers for it.

Your topic is the ultimate proof of perfect research... passion. Y

You just "clicked" into something that you were doing a lot of, knew others were doing, with a sprinkling of hope, that others would keep doing it...blammo instant forum.

Your timely insight got you into this marvelous place. Have you compared this kind of game (Zynga, isn't it?) to other's made by the same company? Are there other massive revenue oriented forums out there for this same type of game that are using strategies you can use? I'm captivated by your site, my own forum is a single subject forum as well, we put together some templates, guide sections, map write ups, and everything took off.

gogo

DaveL

Habitué
Dave, MYbb doesn't have TrueQuestion...where a new member has to answer a "true" question that only a real human would know? I'm on IPB, and it's only that true question that kept out bots, in fact no bot every gets through now unless a human registers for it.

Your topic is the ultimate proof of perfect research... passion. Y

You just "clicked" into something that you were doing a lot of, knew others were doing, with a sprinkling of hope, that others would keep doing it...blammo instant forum.

Your timely insight got you into this marvelous place. Have you compared this kind of game (Zynga, isn't it?) to other's made by the same company? Are there other massive revenue oriented forums out there for this same type of game that are using strategies you can use? I'm captivated by your site, my own forum is a single subject forum as well, we put together some templates, guide sections, map write ups, and everything took off.

gogo
Hi gogo and many thanks for your reply :)

Similar to Zynga, its a company called Insight and they have quite a few games out for iPhone, Android and Facebook.

At the moment Airport City is only available on Facebook and Android. Im covering the Android version but hopefully and if it does happen it will be a huge boost for the forum, they will release an iphone version of the game.

Ive had a quick look around for forums relating to the other games they have made, but cant see anything around. Part of me wants to create some more forums, but I dont have the time! Im going to see if I can slowly incorperate them into my current site and see how that goes.

Its such a nice feeling have a forum that works. Over the years ive created dozens which havent taken off. At the moment I have this and one other as my main sites and two other semi active sites.

T3chn0

Fan
I've seen a couple of really successful forums based off Android games (non-official of course) so it's definitely possible to strive in that niche. Best of luck.

BananaQueen

Adherent
it is possible to start a forum thats an instant hit.

i did the same thing, started a forum and it became instantly popular.

well done, its rare that it happens

DaveL

Habitué
Thanks BQ :)

Two weeks old today and currently have:

103 Validated Members
1666 Posts